LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Need Help - What Brake Pads Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-15, 08:07 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Need Help - What Brake Pads Fit?

I know there are countless opinions on brake pads for the LS 460, but am having difficulty on the parts that will actually fit my car. I have decided to replace all pads and rotors and just do myself. Well that is a lie, my brother is actually going to do the work since he knows what he is doing!

I have a 2011 LS460L AWD. I have looked online at several retailers and am just not sure if what I am buying is meant for the AWD version. Can someone point me to a good website that can clearly state the parts that do fit the L version and AWD? I don't care about brand, as long as it is high quality and better than OEM. Lexus dealership wants to charge $1,800+ to replace all pads and rotors.

I also have to replace a sensor and it seems that at least one pad has breached the low point of the pad.

Thanks for your help
Old 04-16-15, 10:03 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Akebono are awesome pads, reasonably priced. They don't make them to fit Brembo yet, otherwise I'd run them on my LS.

Front:
Amazon.com: Akebono (ACT1282) Pro-ACT Disc Brake Pad: Automotive Amazon.com: Akebono (ACT1282) Pro-ACT Disc Brake Pad: Automotive

Rear:
Amazon.com: Akebono (ACT1283) Pro-ACT Disc Brake Pad: Automotive Amazon.com: Akebono (ACT1283) Pro-ACT Disc Brake Pad: Automotive

Last edited by Tec80; 04-16-15 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-16-15, 10:29 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tec80
Akebono are awesome pads, reasonably priced. They don't make them to fit Brembo yet, otherwise I'd run them on my LS.

Front:
Amazon.com: Akebono (ACT1282) Pro-ACT Disc Brake Pad: Automotive

Rear:
Amazon.com: Akebono (ACT1283) Pro-ACT Disc Brake Pad: Automotive
Do these fit the AWD or just the RWD? I thought that I read the AWD uses bigger brakes than the RWD. Also, do I need a kit, as there are currently original pads on the car. These pads look good and I have seen good reviews on CL. Thanks for your help
Old 04-16-15, 10:51 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

I think I'm confusing myself. I just called my local Lexus dealer and they said no difference if AWD or RWD. The difference is if you have the base or L version. Is that correct? I don't have the sport model. I thought I saw on CL if you had an AWD version that the pads were different compared to the RWD only. Typically I see on parts geek or other websites a choice for base or L with no option to select AWD or RWD. I just want to make sure before I go crazy and start ordering and have to return
Old 04-16-15, 01:42 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Base or L shouldn't matter either.
Old 04-16-15, 03:54 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Ok, one final question. I have the original pads and rotors on my car now. Do I need to buy a kit to fit the Akebono brakes listed above? I know I need the shims, but I think due to changing pad type I might need a hardware kit too. As you can tell I am a virgin at replacing pads and rotors. As long as I have all parts needed my brother should be ready to go, but don't want to have an oh ***** moment if I am missing needed parts.
Old 04-16-15, 09:10 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I recommend buying the hardware kit. That way you can put all new on. My shims and clips came off fine but I've heard of some members whose broke.
Don't forget to unplug the battery, wait five minutes prior to starting the brake work.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...es%20LS460.pdf

Last edited by is150; 04-16-15 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-16-15, 11:50 PM
Chuckwagon
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mbarron37
I think I'm confusing myself. I just called my local Lexus dealer and they said no difference if AWD or RWD. The difference is if you have the base or L version. Is that correct? I don't have the sport model. I thought I saw on CL if you had an AWD version that the pads were different compared to the RWD only. Typically I see on parts geek or other websites a choice for base or L with no option to select AWD or RWD. I just want to make sure before I go crazy and start ordering and have to return
Any confusion would be easy to understand. You may have seen references to the difference between RWD cars equipped with the Touring package vs cars without it. In earlier model years, the Touring package added 19" wheels and bigger brakes. So for models where that option was available, there was a difference in brakes. But I'm pretty sure they had dropped the Touring package as an option by 2011, though you could still get 18" or 19" wheels on RWD models depending on if you got the Appearance Package. But I think AWD cars came with 19" wheels by default. So there should only be one brake option for the AWD models. If the parts say they are for the AWD, then they should be good.

Chuck
Old 04-17-15, 07:36 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Don't forget to unplug the battery, wait five minutes prior to starting the brake work.
Not necessary. OP is only changing out pads and maybe rotors - neither of which requires disconnecting brake lines and subsequent brake bleeding.
Old 04-17-15, 09:43 AM
Chuckwagon
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Not necessary. OP is only changing out pads and maybe rotors - neither of which requires disconnecting brake lines and subsequent brake bleeding.
While disconnecting the battery is not "required" to complete a brake job, it is recommended as part of the procedure by Lexus. Here are a couple of notes from the procedure that are relevant to this discussion:

NOTE: While the battery is connected, even if the engine switch is off, the brake control system activates when the brake pedal is depressed or the door courtesy switch turns on. Therefore during servicing of the brake system components, do not operate the brake pedal and open/close the doors while the battery is connected.

CAUTION: Wait at least 90 seconds after disconnecting the cable from the negative (-) battery terminal to prevent airbag and seat belt pretensioner activation.

NOTE: After the engine switch is turned off, the HDD navigation system requires approximately 6 minutes to record various types of memory and settings. As a result, after turning the engine switch off, wait 6 minutes or more before disconnecting the cable from the negative (-) battery terminal.
So while it isn't strictly "needed," you can do the job if you exercise care, it can help avoid issues to disconnect the battery before doing the brakes, and it won't hurt to play it safe.

Chuck