LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Engine Noise At Idle - Possible Remedy

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-15, 04:30 PM
anniversar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Engine Noise At Idle - Possible Remedy

While searching on line for information about the LS460's engine ticking noise, I came across a fascinating engineering paper. It explains the source of the noise in all GDI engines and proposes two solutions. One is not feasible as it would require some further development of the engine but the other solution may be practical for the DIY enthusiast. The question would be what type of material to use which would withstand the conditions under the hood?

Hopefully you can open the PDF attachment I have included isma2010_0514.pdf

It will take a few seconds to open the file depending on your download speed

Last edited by anniversar; 04-13-15 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-13-15, 05:06 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by anniversar
While searching on line for information about the LS460's engine ticking noise, I came across a fascinating engineering paper. It explains the source of the noise in all GDI engines and proposes two solutions. One is not feasible as it would require some further development of the engine but the other solution may be practical for the DIY enthusiast. The question would be what type of material to use which would withstand the conditions under the hood?

Hopefully you can open the PDF attachment I have included Attachment 359830

It will take a few seconds to open the file depending on your download speed
Very interesting indeed. Although rubber is not as durable as other materials, I think it would suffice, especially since replacing them when they DO fail would not be a big deal. Some other gasket material should also work. I wonder if any other vehicle manufacturers use a similar isolator? Maybe higher end ones like Bentley or Maybach?
Old 04-14-15, 07:40 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

The first time I noticed that tinker toy tick, my sunroof was open and I thought it was the car next to me. No way could "MY" LS460 be ticking like that. Unfortunately when they drove off in their hooptie, that ticking was still there. First thought . . . who has the hooptie now? I was all freaked out until my neighbor, who has a similar year stopped by while my wife and I were walking the neighborhood. Sure enough, tic tic tic tic.

Hate it, but if that's the way it is, so be it.
Old 04-14-15, 08:15 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I think there might be a way to absorb some of that sound. We could try and use some sound absorbing material like dynamat under the engine cover. The valve-train area doesn't get that hot so it shouldn't be a problem.
The ticking sounds are coming the pumps that are located near the cams so this solution might actually work to some extent.
Old 04-14-15, 09:10 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

Unacceptable in a car like the LS. Lexus really dropped the ball.
Old 04-14-15, 10:10 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Unacceptable in a car like the LS. Lexus really dropped the ball.
I agree it's unacceptable that Lexus didn't invent a time machine so you can go back fifteen years into the past for your pursuit of perfection and dial up internet.
Old 04-14-15, 11:16 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

The ticking is the price we paid for having technology about 8 years ahead of the average car. Luckily there are no perceptible drawbacks to the 8-speed automatic!
Old 04-14-15, 12:04 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

You know the perfect way to fix it? Turn up the stereo!

One thing you can do is condition the rubber seals around the vehicle with Shin Etsu. This will help on noise in general and since it does seem to get louder as time goes on it could be amplified with the build up of carbon in the engine. Something direct injection can be more prone to. Not to mention ethanol in the fuel makes the problem even worse. I suggest using a good fuel system / injector cleaner and often. The Large Dura Lube bottle is my current favorite. I run it about every 5k in my 430. It's good stuff.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dura-Lube-...16-oz/19887509

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-14-15 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-14-15, 01:24 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Devh
I agree it's unacceptable that Lexus didn't invent a time machine so you can go back fifteen years into the past for your pursuit of perfection and dial up internet.
WTF are you talking about "time machine"? Their pursuit of perfection shouldn't end up with a car sounding like an 80s Benz Diesel. Clearly audible in the cabin, especially when I listened to sports talk radio. Sorry, in this price range, you shouldn't have to turn up the radio to drown out engine noise. That's absurd. Sounded like spark knock from a car that was running on bad gas.
Old 04-14-15, 01:30 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
WTF are you talking about "time machine"? Their pursuit of perfection shouldn't end up with a car sounding like an 80s Benz Diesel. Clearly audible in the cabin, especially when I listened to sports talk radio. Sorry, in this price range, you shouldn't have to turn up the radio to drown out engine noise. That's absurd. Sounded like spark knock from a car that was running on bad gas.
A serious question:
How serious are you regarding the audible levels of your DI noise?
I mean...I have it as well, as I hear it in the cabin, but in all honesty, its not "that" loud.
I mostly hear it in the morning in the garage after its been started. After that, the car is definitely audible when out and about at stop lights. But its not obnoxious. The engine is noisy but I never thought it to be audibly overwhelming...
Old 04-14-15, 01:36 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

I've got a video. I'll see if I can figure out how to post. Even after a month at the dealership being worked on, it was obnoxious.

Didn't do it when I bought it. Started a few months later. I was serious enough about it to sell it. I think it varies from car to car, which doesn't say much for the engineering either. Dealership just said I would have to live with it.
Old 04-14-15, 02:07 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Every one's pursuit of perfection is different. Lexus just has taken a different road.
Old 04-14-15, 04:51 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by R Z
Every one's pursuit of perfection is different. Lexus just has taken a different road.
A more noisy road. I think Lexus made a mistake changing from the 430 to the 460 so drastically. Customers were more happy with the 430. They sold a lot more of them vs the 460 the first 6 years of the run. Nonetheless, I still like the 460. I'm not saying you guys should not like your cars too. I will probably own one but not until I am ready to retire my 430. Probably another couple of years when the best ones are at the price I want. Prices will fall a lot when the redesign comes out.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-14-15 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-14-15, 05:19 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

If you think the DI is noisy in the Lexus, you should hear other brands. Try listening to an Audi A4...now that's loud...sounds like a cement mixer.

Personally my car isn't bad at all, I have no issues with it. And I'll take this DI system over any of the other brands.

Try owning and Audi or a BMW....you'll get the noise and a $1500.00 carbon cleaning treatment every 35k miles, where the manifold will have to be removed and walnut shells will be blasted against your intake valves, before vacuuming them out and replacing every gasket known to man during reassembly. Now that's fun.

I'll take the LS - and if you want to compare it to the 430 - I'll take the 27 mpg I'm getting in the 460, to the 20 mpg (with half the power) the 430 provides. Plus the 430 looks like my grandmother should be driving it.
Old 04-14-15, 05:43 PM
R Z
Pole Position

The 430 is a good car. It's by far an antique compared to the 460. Regardless of the ticking, the interior luxury of the 460 is light years ahead. I prefer my interior to that of the 2013+. I'll live with the ticking.

Quick Reply: Engine Noise At Idle - Possible Remedy