LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Fuel Injectors Too expensive.. i need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-15, 12:08 AM
slh999
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injectors Too expensive.. i need help

Hi

i am new to this Forum.. also i am a driver who knows nothing about cars but how to drive.

recently i have been told by mechanics that i need to replace my LS460 2008 Fuel Injectors to fix the problem i have for almost three months. The problem is that the car never start in the first attempt especially cold start-up. it needs two to three times for successful ignition.

I checked the Fuel Injectors price at the dealer and woow.. each one of the 8 cost USD180. someone told me that i can by good quality Fuel Injectors from OEM for almost have price.

My dilemma is

first how would i know the good quality spar part "that offer similar performance and durability as the genuine part.

second how do i make sure that the part fits in my car engine ï have been told that same cars model might come with different engine offered models in the US have different engine than cars sent to my country Dubai""
Old 04-13-15, 08:20 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

You can get these Genuine Toyota ( Denso), OEM injectors on EBAY. Complete set of 8 for only $349

hthttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-Fuel...d&vxp=mtrtp://

Or....you can get a complete set of aftermarket meeting or exceeding OEM standard with a great warranty for only 80 dollars. If it were me, I would get these. I've always had excellent performance from aftermarket. They meet the premium ISO/TS 16949 standards

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPLETE-SET-OF-BRAND-NEW-FUEL-INJECTORS-FOR-LEXUS-GS460-AND-LS430-/301553058348?fits=Model%3ALS460&hash=item4635f6822c&vxp=mtr
The following users liked this post:
CamelKool (08-06-20)
Old 04-13-15, 09:52 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Fuel injectors rarely go bad. Having more then one injector go bad is a near impossibility.
What could have happened is that the fuel injectors maybe clogged and need to be cleaned.
I would have the injectors removed and sent out to be professionally cleaned. They will evaluate the injectors as well and give you a report so you know if the injectors were the cause of the problem.
CamelKool (08-06-20)
Old 04-13-15, 10:39 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Also, our cars have 16 injectors, 8 port and 8 direct. Which ones are supposedly bad?
CamelKool (08-06-20)
Old 04-13-15, 10:41 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Before doing anything else, I would run the car low on fuel, then dump 2-3 bottles of Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner in and drive it at various speeds and loads.
CamelKool (08-06-20)
Old 04-13-15, 10:54 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Tec80
Also, our cars have 16 injectors, 8 port and 8 direct. Which ones are supposedly bad?
Not his car, it has only eight injectors because of the quality of fuel in his region.
Basically he has the same engine but without the DI.
Old 04-15-15, 10:31 AM
Tec80
Advanced

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_UR_engine#1UR-FE

Ah, yes - you are correct! In that case, the Techron additive could likely do the trick.
CamelKool (08-06-20)
Old 04-15-15, 10:39 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Tec80
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_UR_engine#1UR-FE

Ah, yes - you are correct! In that case, the Techron additive could likely do the trick.
It's worth a shot but I don't think it will fix it. If it is the injectors they will need to be removed and sent out for evaluation and ultrasonic cleaning.
He could have his mechanic remove the injectors and then send them to an injector service center in the US that specialize in the service and have them sent back after cleaning.
If they notice a bad injector they will inform you and replace it.
CamelKool (08-06-20)
Old 04-15-15, 03:02 PM
ctatum7
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If one is bad, I would replace them all at the same time. I can't speak for my Ls, but have had injector problems with other vehicles. When one goes bad, there is a chance that others will. The cost for aftermarket is not bad and there is not much difference in the labor to change them all on one side.
CamelKool (08-06-20)
Old 04-15-15, 03:18 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by ctatum7
If one is bad, I would replace them all at the same time. I can't speak for my Ls, but have had injector problems with other vehicles. When one goes bad, there is a chance that others will. The cost for aftermarket is not bad and there is not much difference in the labor to change them all on one side.
Fuel injectors are one of those items that don't fail together unless it is a known issue with a bad batch or an underlying issues like bad gas that clogs them frequently. A good cleaning is all that is needed in most cases.
If this person sends out his injectors for cleaning they will also measure the resistance of the solenoid and can determine it's condition. Fuel injectors can have a very long life and in some cases they will outlive the usability of the car which is quiet impressive.
CamelKool (08-06-20)
Old 06-15-15, 02:28 AM
460ing
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please let me know what you ended up doing about your fuel injector problem.

I have engine hesitation during startup while at idle (every other time) and also at 60-70mph (all the time).

Did the following and saw no change:
new tires (balanced aligned).
new Engine and tranny mounts.
fuel injector cleaner bottle in tank

Dealer wants to change everything to sort the problem (any idiot can do that - why not just quote me a new car?) Quoted as follows:
Injectors: $359 per injector. Said I need 8 = $2873
Spark plugs: $200 for 8 (although I changed them 20k miles ago)
MAF : quoted as "895161 meter sub-assy" $200 for 2
?? : quoted as "881701 Motor S/assy" $270
Battery (wth? its working): $125

without labor. And I saved the many other B.S. charges like electrical diagnosis and blah blah.

Were your injectors in need of replacing?
Im thinking ill just clean them properly thru their pressure cleaning system ?

MAF i can understand if its gone bad. Looked all over this forum and couldnt find anyone saying they changed their injectors.
2008LKA (08-21-23)
Old 06-15-15, 06:52 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by slh999
Hi

i am new to this Forum.. also i am a driver who knows nothing about cars but how to drive.

recently i have been told by mechanics that i need to replace my LS460 2008 Fuel Injectors to fix the problem i have for almost three months. The problem is that the car never start in the first attempt especially cold start-up. it needs two to three times for successful ignition.

I checked the Fuel Injectors price at the dealer and woow.. each one of the 8 cost USD180. someone told me that i can by good quality Fuel Injectors from OEM for almost have price.

My dilemma is

first how would i know the good quality spar part "that offer similar performance and durability as the genuine part.

second how do i make sure that the part fits in my car engine ï have been told that same cars model might come with different engine offered models in the US have different engine than cars sent to my country Dubai""
Who are these "mechanics" that have been servicing ur LS?
CamelKool (08-06-20)
Old 06-15-15, 07:27 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by 460ing
Please let me know what you ended up doing about your fuel injector problem.

I have engine hesitation during startup while at idle (every other time) and also at 60-70mph (all the time).

Did the following and saw no change:
new tires (balanced aligned).
new Engine and tranny mounts.
fuel injector cleaner bottle in tank

Dealer wants to change everything to sort the problem (any idiot can do that - why not just quote me a new car?) Quoted as follows:
Injectors: $359 per injector. Said I need 8 = $2873
Spark plugs: $200 for 8 (although I changed them 20k miles ago)
MAF : quoted as "895161 meter sub-assy" $200 for 2
?? : quoted as "881701 Motor S/assy" $270
Battery (wth? its working): $125

without labor. And I saved the many other B.S. charges like electrical diagnosis and blah blah.

Were your injectors in need of replacing?
Im thinking ill just clean them properly thru their pressure cleaning system ?

MAF i can understand if its gone bad. Looked all over this forum and couldnt find anyone saying they changed their injectors.
They are doing amatuer work. A qualified tech would log sensor data and then draw an inference which will point him in the right direction. They will then check the resistance values of specific suspect components and replace them.

This is why a qualified technician gets paid the big bucks and it's sad there are not diagnosing your car. I would take it to another dealer because it is their job to diagnose.

Last edited by Devh; 06-15-15 at 07:31 AM.
CamelKool (08-06-20)
Old 06-15-15, 10:07 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Fuel injectors can be expensive and I would let the pros fix the issue since you know very little about mechanical work. Eliminate the guessing game and have it done right.
Old 06-15-15, 11:17 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Failure to start on the first time sounds more like a fuel pump/fuel pressure issue. The pump primes with ignition, but it's relying on a certain level of fuel, thus fuel pressure, in the fuel lines. If the fuel pressure drops too much, then it will take several cycles of priming to get the fuel pressure back up.
CamelKool (08-06-20)

Quick Reply: Fuel Injectors Too expensive.. i need help