LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Filing a complaint with NTSB for brake actuator

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-15, 09:39 PM
MrDuc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Filing a complaint with NTSB for brake actuator

Just a heads up to all...

I will be filing a complaint with NHTSA for faulty brake actuators. If you have had issues with your brake actuator I highly recommend that you file a complaint with NHTSA https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

Its amazing to me that Lexus did not extend the warranty on this part or did a goodwill recall.

Last edited by MrDuc; 03-31-15 at 07:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
diamente (05-27-18)
Old 03-31-15, 06:46 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDuc

I will be filing a complaint with NTSB for faulty brake actuators. If you have had issues with your brake actuator I highly recommend that you file a complaint with NTSB https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

Its amazing to me that Lexus did not extend the warranty on this part or did a goodwill recall.
I completely agree. This oversight on Lexus is inexcusable, along with the control arms.
Old 03-31-15, 07:13 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

The agency that you are referring to is not the NTSB. It is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The NHTSA is chartered to deal with safety issues in motor vehicles. If you want to get their attention you must characterize your problem as a safety problem. And, it will take multiple reports of the safety issue to get some action from them. The brake actuator problem has been around a long time but I have not seen a single claim that it has caused an accident.

Here is a link to NHTSA's home page: http://www.safercar.gov
Old 03-31-15, 04:15 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I will be filing a complaint with NTSB for faulty brake actuators. If you have had issues with your brake actuator I highly recommend that you file a complaint with NTSB https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

Doesn't there have to be a SAFETY issue for this kind of claim?? I'm not in the US and our laws are different here, but I'm guessing I'm right that there has to be a safety concern. Correct me if I'm wrong. As for the control arm bushings, I assume the same would apply. Bushings wear out.
Old 03-31-15, 04:19 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

I haven't had my actuator or control arms checked, but I agree there are too many complaints and replacements for it not to be an issue.
Old 03-31-15, 04:45 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by R Z
I haven't had my actuator or control arms checked, but I agree there are too many complaints and replacements for it not to be an issue.
But again..not a safety issue. Therefore, out of NTSB's concerns/jurisdiction
Old 03-31-15, 07:24 PM
MrDuc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jmcraney
The agency that you are referring to is not the NTSB. It is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The NHTSA is chartered to deal with safety issues in motor vehicles. If you want to get their attention you must characterize your problem as a safety problem. And, it will take multiple reports of the safety issue to get some action from them. The brake actuator problem has been around a long time but I have not seen a single claim that it has caused an accident.

Here is a link to NHTSA's home page: http://www.safercar.gov
Thanks for the correction...I have obviously been watching the news too much..... regarding plane crashes.

Regarding a safety issue...your abs, and traction control failing is about as a direct of a safety issue as can be. What we need to do is to file complaints regarding this. The only ones that I see on NHTSA are for actuator noise. Anyone on this site that has had the actuators replaced because all your brake warning lights came on needs to file a complaint. Although I agree with you that there has been no known documented accidents causes by faulty actuators/loss of abs and traction control, I still think that this a valid complaint that will only be heard if more people complain.

BTW...complaint filed shorty after posting initial thread. The complaint should be up in a few days. Feel free to review and post similar complaints

Last edited by MrDuc; 03-31-15 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-31-15, 07:30 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the correction...I have obviously been watching the news too much..... regarding plane crashes.

Regarding a safety issue...your abs, and traction control failing is about as a direct of a safety issue as can be. What we need to do is to file complaints regarding this. The only ones that I see on NHTSA are for actuator noise. Anyone on this site that has had the actuators replaced because all your brake warning lights came on needs to file a complaint. Although I agree with you that there has been no known documented accidents causes by faulty actuators/loss of abs and traction control, I still think that this a valid complaint that will only be heard if more people complain.
But it's NOT a safety issue, because there hasn't been any failures. They're noisy....not unsafe. They still work as they're supposed to....albeit, with a clicking noise.
Old 03-31-15, 07:37 PM
MrDuc
Driver School Candidate

I dont understand your logic...your ABS fails, you're driving on ice, you try to stop but your wheels lock up and you rear end a mini van full of kids. Thats about as clear of a safety issue as can be. Its really a matter of time before this causes an accident.

I do agree with you that clicking/noisy actuator alone is NOT a safety issue as long everything, such as the ABS, continues to work as designed. However in my case and many other on this site, a faulty actuator actually causes all of my dash (brake, abs, traction control) lights come on, letting me know that non of these safety devices are operational.

Last edited by MrDuc; 04-01-15 at 05:29 AM.
Old 03-31-15, 10:13 PM
Nick2JZ
Pole Position

MrDuc, did you have your car tow to the dealer and how did they handle it? I have 2 460 so i'm gonna keep an eyes on it.
Old 04-01-15, 05:02 AM
MrDuc
Driver School Candidate

Being that my car is out of warranty they offered to fix it for $4200 after acknowledging that this is a common problem with this model .
Old 04-01-15, 04:40 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I dont understand your logic...your ABS fails, you're driving on ice, you try to stop but your wheels lock up and you rear end a mini van full of kids. Thats about as clear of a safety issue as can be. Its really a matter of time before this causes an accident.

I do agree with you that clicking/noisy actuator alone is NOT a safety issue as long everything, such as the ABS, continues to work as designed. However in my case and many other on this site, a faulty actuator actually causes all of my dash (brake, abs, traction control) lights come on, letting me know that non of these safety devices are operational.
Sigh....I think we've beat this one to death. If you are indeed having an issue where your brakes stop working, ABS stops working etc, then YES, you have a valid claim. I have NOT heard of this being the case here at CL however. The issues I've seen relate to noise only. Do you have a link to the cases you're referring to?

That said, it would not surprise me in the least if Lexus does indeed initiate a recall. They've done it before when there were no documented cases of deaths/injury/misfortune, but decided to initiate a campaign regardless. The recent recall of the fuel gasket is a good example. Few other companies do that and speaks to Toyota/Lexus' care of it's customers.
Old 04-01-15, 04:50 PM
MrDuc
Driver School Candidate

Chris,

I didn't mean to come off a bit strong... Sorry for that.

I'll post the link to the complaint once it's posted in their system.

I also hope you're right about Lexus doing the right thing ... It would be about time that they do .

Cheers,
Matt
Old 04-01-15, 06:40 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Chris,

I didn't mean to come off a bit strong... Sorry for that.

I'll post the link to the complaint once it's posted in their system.

I also hope you're right about Lexus doing the right thing ... It would be about time that they do .

Cheers,
Matt
We're good Matt. To be honest I really didn't take your reply as rude or "strong".
Old 04-06-15, 01:35 PM
jarodeve
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just files.

Quick Reply: Filing a complaint with NTSB for brake actuator