LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Help find the source of this unusual rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-15, 06:31 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
Exclamation Help find the source of this unusual rattle

I noticed lately a very unusual rattle in my car (2008 ls600hl) and I can say for sure that it come from the passenger side but it's pretty hard to pinpoint. It seems to come from the passenger dash/door, or even floor ? It's only noticeable when cruising at highway speed. Tonight I tried to empty the glove box and the sounds seems to come from near the cabin filter, although I'm not 100% sure. I got my wheel changed at a Toyota dealer lately, could it be that they checked the cabin filter without putting to recirculate ? What would be the symptom if they broke the lid ? I tried to check the wheel but I haven't lifted the car yet. There was a few loose plastic snap under the hood but tighten them up didn't solve the problem. Turning on and off climate control don't change anything. While driving I tried to lift the cabin filter compartment lid and I could easily lift it with recirculate on or off (might be only because the car was moving though). The only modification done lately was a replacement by the dealer of an exhaust gas temperature sensor (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...and-p1083.html) and I recall the tech said that the sensor was under the passenger seat. Here is a video of the rattle:

Old 03-28-15, 07:13 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

If this begun after the service, take the car back and have a tech ride in the car.
Old 03-29-15, 04:30 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Check to see if the battery is secured well.
Old 03-29-15, 04:32 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
Check to see if the battery is secured well.
12v battery is in the trunk, and well secure.
Old 03-29-15, 07:24 AM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Check for loose exhaust components, shields and brackets.
Old 03-29-15, 10:57 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Most garage are closed on weekend around here but I managed to get the car lifted to a place that are only doing oil change. The only thing that seems suspicious is the part in the following pic. That part on the driver side was absolutely immobile while on the passenger side (where the rattle come from) this part seemed a bit loose and was making a bit of noise while I was shaking it. I wasn't able to try and tighten it since the place were doing absolutely no mechanic work. Any guess on what that part would be ?
Attached Thumbnails Help find the source of this unusual rattle-shake.jpg  
Old 03-29-15, 05:17 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Vansibel
Most garage are closed on weekend around here but I managed to get the car lifted to a place that are only doing oil change. The only thing that seems suspicious is the part in the following pic. That part on the driver side was absolutely immobile while on the passenger side (where the rattle come from) this part seemed a bit loose and was making a bit of noise while I was shaking it. I wasn't able to try and tighten it since the place were doing absolutely no mechanic work. Any guess on what that part would be ?

That is the adjustment screw for the air suspension. Minor adjustments to that screw will raise or lower the air suspension strut.
Old 03-30-15, 02:17 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Problem solved. I'm super fed up with this but I'll wrap this thread so it may help other member with similar problem.

Called the dealer this morning (Park Avenue Lexus in Sainte-Julie) and told the adviser about the sound I heard that seems to be located near the place they did the previous work on that 1100$ sensor + labor. She immediately replied that It cannot be related to the work they did since they replaced an oxygen sensor (which in fact was an exhaus gaz temp sensor) and that repair was done under the hood, but I recall the tech telling me that the sensor was located under the passenger seat. Only managed to get an appointment in a week so I kept on testing. At some point I completely removed the computer I installed with ivic just to make sure the rattle wasn't coming from here.

Long story short, while I was away visiting my mother her boyfriend recommended me a small garage just on the corner of her street that was only doing Volkswagen. Guy agree since I only wanted to lift the car to inspect under. Not 5 second after the lift the guy immediately spot a loose plastic cover. I check the panel and I could see the sensor that they replaced, which was probably a 10min repair (remove plastic cover - unplug sensor - plug new one- put back cover - they billed me 1300$+tx for this). I don't recall if this was a loose screw or just a plastic pin. The guy tighten it up, ask me 10buck and the problem is completely gone.

Called back the dealer, not happy at all. Everyone can make mistake, but what I really didn't like is that they immediately supposed it wasn't related to the repair they did, and pretty much took me for a fool when they said the repair was done under the hood. Adviser try to avoid the blame saying that the repair was done last month and that this panel could have loose by itself. I have two car and I almost never take the Lexus on winter, and usually put music so I couldn't heard the noise. Finally she offer me a 25$ rebate, which I pretty much just laughed up... It mostly felt like a slap in the face. To name a few, paid them 700$ for a new wallet key, 500$ for a 12v battery, over 2 grand to change differential fluid and for a simple sensor replacement (already had the error code and they still charged 165$ for that), spent a week trying to figure out this problem even tearing apart the interior trim. 25$ could not even buy an F-Sport cap at their boutique. I never complained about their price, always fill up their loaner before bringing them back, never complained about how they just clean the interior with a wet rag and I can always see the dried up water.

Well, there you have it, hope it can help someone else that have a similar problem.

Last edited by Vansibel; 03-30-15 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-31-15, 10:20 AM
RodT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ Vansibel does it only rattle while you a/c or heat is on and the reason why i ask is because about month my 600 was making the same exact noise but it would only do it while i had the ac or heat on. And if this is so it maybe the same thing i had to replace which was the blower fan motor. A good way to check to see if that is it is the problem is to have the glovebox removed to where you can see the actual fan itself and turn on the ac or heat if it wobbles then that's your problem. My fan rivet was loose and everytime i turned on the ac or heat it would scrub against the inner lining of the unit causing that same exact sound like on your video. the blower motor and fan assembly comes together and will set you back a lil bit under $400 labor not included ( i put mine in myself) its really simple 30 min job if that long.
Old 03-31-15, 03:52 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by RodT
@ Vansibel does it only rattle while you a/c or heat is on and the reason why i ask is because about month my 600 was making the same exact noise but it would only do it while i had the ac or heat on. And if this is so it maybe the same thing i had to replace which was the blower fan motor. A good way to check to see if that is it is the problem is to have the glovebox removed to where you can see the actual fan itself and turn on the ac or heat if it wobbles then that's your problem. My fan rivet was loose and everytime i turned on the ac or heat it would scrub against the inner lining of the unit causing that same exact sound like on your video. the blower motor and fan assembly comes together and will set you back a lil bit under $400 labor not included ( i put mine in myself) its really simple 30 min job if that long.
LOL. Read the post directly above yours.
Old 04-01-15, 02:48 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RodT
Thanks for the input, much appreciated. As roadfrog pointed out the issue is resolved. But it's always interesting to know what could go wrong on those car. Maybe I haven't seen it but it would be very useful if we could consolidate all the problems and solution under a thread that people came across those car.

Something like:

Symptom --> Solution --> Price paid (and a link to the part if possible, etc)
Old 04-01-15, 03:21 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

I can only Imagine dealing with that dealer for a possible problem related to the fuel line recall. I've check the procedure and to be honest I'm terrified at the idea that the same people would to that kind of work on the car, and complications that could come afterward. And the fact that they keep denying that recall even exist when I spoke to them about it is certainly not reassuring.
Old 04-08-15, 07:38 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Sounds like its time to find a new dealer. And write to Lexus corporate and the dealership owner to tell them why.