LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2012 ls460

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-15, 10:19 PM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default 2012 ls460

Thinking of getting a super clean low millage CPO car.
A 2012.

Anything to look for?
Any "issues" that have come up in the last three years?
What are the top 3-5 problems?
I understand the front suspension had problems...still the case for the 2012?

Thanks for helping out....
Old 03-23-15, 11:28 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

They're all good cars however if you want to nitpick 2011 and 2012 have no recalls and the control arms have been addressed. Also the fuel line gasket has been addressed. I would say buy with confidence only if the condition of the car reflects a good example that it's been taken care of. Don't trust the CPO, Inspect the car thoroughly and above all don't believe what the dealer tells you about the rigorous CPO process.
Old 03-24-15, 06:07 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Here's a thread for you to read -

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...xperience.html
Old 03-24-15, 06:22 AM
xfea
Intermediate

Thanks to both...sounds like the highly touted CPO is more marketing than rigorous inspection.
And most of the 'bugs' have been worked out by 2012...
Brakes look to have a lot of posts...average about 25K miles for the front? OhMy...
and lots of rotor issues?
Old 03-24-15, 07:34 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by xfea
Thanks to both...sounds like the highly touted CPO is more marketing than rigorous inspection.
Brakes look to have a lot of posts...average about 25K miles for the front? OhMy...
I relatively new here on the thread as well as a newer owner. However, I did a copious amount of research and asking question here as well as the general internet. The search tool via this site will do wonders. In the event you've read up on this vehicle (it appears that you have due to your statement regarding breaks), you'll see that many owners have complained about the OEM rotors having a tendency to warp, so while few decide to purchase new aftermarket pads (akebono) and machine rotors, others decide to purchase after market pads and rotors and experience better braking as well as longer life and saving a bit of money.
Hope that helps some and good luck with you search/purchase!
Old 03-24-15, 07:47 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

I would highly recommend the 2012. It seems to be the best of the 07-2012 version prior to the most recent change from 2013 to present. As mentioned, you can most likely get around the brakes by researching the aftermarket pads many have chosen as replacements. Otherwise, I say go for it!
Old 03-24-15, 10:13 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by xfea
The CPO inspection at one time carried water especially when the concept was introduced sometime in the 90s. As the years go by dealerships have lowered their standards and are plastering CPO on everything and using it as a confidence builder for customers. When a government agency can conduct it's own internal investigation and be cleared of any wrong doing why would anyone think the corporate side has a ounce of honesty.
Old 03-24-15, 01:18 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
When a government agency can conduct it's own internal investigation and be cleared of any wrong doing why would anyone think the corporate side has a ounce of honesty.
Because corporations have shareholders! Where governments have bureaucrats and politicians. Big difference! BS frequently leads to lower bottom lines, especially in the long run. So shareholders tolerate that for only short amounts of time! Their goal is to earn. Governmental BS is simply the norm. Bureaucrats and politicians earn regardless, and do what they can to prevent looking bad.

However, I don't lend any water to CPO either. Must self-inspect.

7milesout
Old 03-24-15, 03:33 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am pretty much doing the same thing right now, it's a good problem to have . I made a thread a few months back as well and many members gave some excellent and helpful advice as to what to look for on the test drive:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-look-for.html

Hope that helps!
Old 03-28-15, 09:21 AM
xfea
Intermediate

Default OhMyGosh

Picked up my LS460 in southern California and just drove back to SF Bay are....
Remarkable car.
One owner, 24,000...three year lease return..no signs of wear AT ALL...as in none.

(The dealer offers remote to home regular service, and for the more extensive work...flat bed pickup and delivery of car...not to mention to home delivery of new car.
The previous owner set foot in the dealer only once..to pick out the color....)

Zero road rash on the nose...not a scratch on the rims....perfect paint...not a blemish..and the interior was spotless....new set of floor mats courtesy of the dealer.

FLAWLESS.

Two things stood out...
First...Cruising on the Hwy ... cruse control set at 80...able to get 26+ mpg over hundreds of miles
Second...I decided to take Hwy 1 back home....Past San Simeon (Hearst Castle) ... Big Sur...Carmel-By-The-Sea.

I drove the car with bravado on Hwy 1...put the transmission in 'sport' mode...and it aggressively held high RPM, shifted, etc...very impressive.
I didn't know this had an 8 speed - and dang smart too....
I'm certain I pushed the car far harder than most any LS460 has a right to be pushed (and the verge of hooning??) .... passing lesser vehicles without hesitation ...
And it held it's composure, the electrical stability systems / ABS kicking in as needed.

The ONE thing I want to address...tires.
The car has a new set ... Michelin...too lazy to see which particular model...but the car wasn't as composed cruising on the highway as i thought it should be. It drifted slightly.

I've had great experience with Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology....the tires are remarkable...amazing ride quality....track straight ...no drifting...very quiet.

Thanks for the feedback...happy guy here...

Wait...if I'm gonna change out the tires anyway....wonder what the kids would say if I took it Laguna Seca for a track day?
Haha...this baby going through the cork-screw.......
Old 03-28-15, 11:03 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Congratulations on the new pick up! Sounds like you've already taken it for a good long drive and you're loving it more! Great to hear! Don't forget to post a few photos when you have time!
Once again, major congrats!
👍👌👏
Old 03-28-15, 01:51 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Congratulations on the new pick up! Sounds like you've already taken it for a good long drive and you're loving it more! Great to hear! Don't forget to post a few photos when you have time!
Once again, major congrats!
������
Indeed!! Pics or be banned!!
Old 03-29-15, 06:53 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I am getting close to tire replacement time and Michelins are in my top 3 choices. I would be interested in knowing which model you have and if you checked the tire pressure before your trip. Some techs inflate them until they feel hard without the use of a gauge. I assume your car has 19" tires.