LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Trunk Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-15, 08:54 PM
macjac69
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trunk Spoiler

install pics of my trunk lid spoiler
Attached Thumbnails Trunk Spoiler-20150323_215330_resized.jpg   Trunk Spoiler-20150323_215344_resized.jpg  
Old 03-24-15, 05:57 AM
aaauae
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks nice!! any pics from back ?
Old 03-24-15, 10:08 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Looks good. I'm still trying to decide if I want that or the larger trunk spoiler.
Old 03-25-15, 11:49 AM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

Nice and clean!
Old 03-27-15, 05:54 AM
macjac69
Driver

I looked at the larger one but felt this one was more of a fit for me at least, I was going for the subtle sport look.. Sometimes less is more.
Ill try to get a shot from the rear uploaded..
Old 04-01-15, 05:58 AM
StoOp_KiD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much was the spoiler?
Old 04-01-15, 04:22 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I just bought the larger one on Ebay PAINTED for 130 bucks! Best price I've seen so far. Coming out of Taiwan.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321705808651?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 04-02-15, 08:20 PM
baam
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I just bought the larger one on Ebay PAINTED for 130 bucks! Best price I've seen so far. Coming out of Taiwan.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321705808651...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Looks like they jacked up the price.
Old 04-02-15, 09:34 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by baam
Looks like they jacked up the price.
Wow. Yeah they did. BUT that is still a VERY good price. In the past, the cheapest I've seem these go for (painted) is 275.00

169 is still a bargain.
Old 04-03-15, 01:20 PM
RR60
Driver School Candidate

I bought the large one directly from DAR spoilers. Painted and setup for bolt on for about $200.00
Easy to install.
I was looking for something that would be installed just as good as OEM.
My dealer said they would never install a stick on rear spoiler. I know they are pretty safe. But don't have to ever worry about it blowing off and causing an accident. Since it would not be something car insurance would cover.
Old 04-04-15, 09:17 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RR60
I bought the large one directly from DAR spoilers. Painted and setup for bolt on for about $200.00
Easy to install.
I was looking for something that would be installed just as good as OEM.
My dealer said they would never install a stick on rear spoiler. I know they are pretty safe. But don't have to ever worry about it blowing off and causing an accident. Since it would not be something car insurance would cover.
3M Double Sided tape is as safe as it gets. Plenty of trim, moldings, etc are factory mounted with it. Even my 88 Mustang's body moldings are mounted with it and 27 years later, there is NO way you can remove it without a lot of elbow grease.

Also, I don't understand why insurance wouldn't cover it under the ridiculously minor chance it would blow off AND cause an accident. Since it's an accepted method of attaching bodywork etc, insurance shouldn't be an issue. I guess if you were concerned, you could back up the 3M product with a silicon-based adhesion product from a caulking gun.
Old 04-04-15, 01:14 PM
RR60
Driver School Candidate

3M Double Sided tape is as safe as it gets. Plenty of trim, moldings, etc are factory mounted with it. Even my 88 Mustang's body moldings are mounted with it and 27 years later, there is NO way you can remove it without a lot of elbow grease.

Also, I don't understand why insurance wouldn't cover it under the ridiculously minor chance it would blow off AND cause an accident. Since it's an accepted method of attaching bodywork etc, insurance shouldn't be an issue. I guess if you were concerned, you could back up the 3M product with a silicon-based adhesion product from a caulking gun.

I understand what you are saying and that is why I almost went the stick on method. Instead wanted it to be more like a factory install and did the bolt on with 3m tape.

I did do a little research and could not find a car manufacture that installs a rear spoiler without it being bolt on.

If I had this would have made me feel more comfortable with a stick on.

And my thinking was a spoiler gets a lot more wind force against it than any body side molding.

A better comparison maybe against side window vent visors. I know for different cars they make them that go in the window channel like for our LS. But have also seen a lot that are stick on with 3m tape. I have also seen a lot of the 3m tape installed ones fail after a few years. But you still see some that last.

The other thing I found was that of the spoilers I checked on they all had in fine print that they recommend a bolt on installation. This to help cover them in case an insurance company goes after them.

This is odd because like DAR. They don’t even advertise the bolt on anymore because people demand stick on ones. You have to actually ask for the bolt on, but this is what they recommend.

I love the looks and will never take the spoiler off. So for me it was worth the extra hour to make it more per meant. Once you get pass the scary part of drilling two holes in a nice shiny Lexus.

But I do think at least most will still be fine with a stick on.
Old 04-04-15, 04:11 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RR60

I understand what you are saying and that is why I almost went the stick on method. Instead wanted it to be more like a factory install and did the bolt on with 3m tape.

I did do a little research and could not find a car manufacture that installs a rear spoiler without it being bolt on.

If I had this would have made me feel more comfortable with a stick on.

And my thinking was a spoiler gets a lot more wind force against it than any body side molding.

A better comparison maybe against side window vent visors. I know for different cars they make them that go in the window channel like for our LS. But have also seen a lot that are stick on with 3m tape. I have also seen a lot of the 3m tape installed ones fail after a few years. But you still see some that last.

The other thing I found was that of the spoilers I checked on they all had in fine print that they recommend a bolt on installation. This to help cover them in case an insurance company goes after them.

This is odd because like DAR. They don’t even advertise the bolt on anymore because people demand stick on ones. You have to actually ask for the bolt on, but this is what they recommend.

I love the looks and will never take the spoiler off. So for me it was worth the extra hour to make it more per meant. Once you get pass the scary part of drilling two holes in a nice shiny Lexus.

But I do think at least most will still be fine with a stick on.
Fair enough. The thing about this spoiler is that it sits flush against the body.....no wing-like assembly to catch wind and pull away from the body. It's down force should keep things squared away. I've drilled holes in my Acura for a spoiler and I'll admit it's a bit disconcerting to drill holes, but it all worked out. Measure once cut twice?! LOL.

Post a pic of your install when done!
Old 04-04-15, 08:03 PM
macjac69
Driver

3M tape in conjunction w/ a clean mating surface. you can't go wrong... I've had a 3M trunk spoiler(no drilling) for two years no issues just as stout as day 1. I have no problem at all with installing this way!
Old 04-06-15, 07:25 AM
ShahG
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Fair enough. The thing about this spoiler is that it sits flush against the body.....no wing-like assembly to catch wind and pull away from the body. It's down force should keep things squared away. I've drilled holes in my Acura for a spoiler and I'll admit it's a bit disconcerting to drill holes, but it all worked out. Measure once cut twice?! LOL.

Post a pic of your install when done!
The problem with this spoiler though is its curved from the ends. I have tried 3m, maybe its just me, but the ends pop up and stay straight. Do let me know when you install it, I have taken it off for the time being.

Quick Reply: Trunk Spoiler