LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Brake job DIY: Pt. 1

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-15, 07:13 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry guys, couple more questions:

How much brake fluid should I remove with the turkey baster? And do I save that fluid to pour back in the reservoir or replace with fresh fluid? I'm imagining I'd be putting fresh fluid back in. I can shoot over to Toyota and pick some up if need be.

When I do my front brakes, I will need to turn the wheel to access the caliber screws? Will I need to people for this or can it be done solo? I use the parking brake when doing the front brakes but not when doing the rear brakes right?
Old 12-08-15, 10:24 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by sdwtchlvr
Sorry guys, couple more questions:

How much brake fluid should I remove with the turkey baster? And do I save that fluid to pour back in the reservoir or replace with fresh fluid? I'm imagining I'd be putting fresh fluid back in. I can shoot over to Toyota and pick some up if need be.

When I do my front brakes, I will need to turn the wheel to access the caliber screws? Will I need to people for this or can it be done solo? I use the parking brake when doing the front brakes but not when doing the rear brakes right?
I would just remove about half the reservoir. Dispose of the removed fluid and replace with fresh DOT 3. No need to get it from Toyota. Go to your local parts place (Schucks, O'Reilly etc) and get it there...cheaper and equally good. Regardless of where you place your steering angle, the bolts are easily accessed. As for the E Brake question, you are correct.
Old 12-10-15, 11:55 AM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

So I've got the pads out and I sprayed some liquid wrench on the caliper bolts and waiting for them to loosen up a bit.

Quick question regarding what exactly I transfer ove rto the new pads. Please take a look at my pic. There seem to be 2 shims on the old pads, do I just transfer the top shim? And there is a little spring wire on the old pads, do I transfer that to the new pads?

Old 12-10-15, 12:11 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

And I can't for the life of me get the caliper bolts off. Sprayed liquid wrench and WD-40 on there. Not moving. I'm going to wait a bit, hopefully they will loosen up. Any suggestions?
Old 12-10-15, 12:33 PM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Springs and shims have to go onto the new pads. If not you'll get this weird popping noise when coming to a stop. I had that problem on my previous ls. As for the caliper bolt try to heat up the bolts a little bit
Old 12-10-15, 12:37 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

The shims and springs need to be transferred to the new pad. Also lube the back of the pad, both shims where they will touch each other and the back of the shims that come into contact with the pistons. Lube everything that moves as Doublebase stated.
Also, for the fronts, I actually turned the wheel all the way to the side that I was working on to have as much access to the caliper bolts as possible.
I ended up having to have my wife hold the wheel once the car was off bc the steering wheel would drift.
Again, for me in the fronts, I used the handle from my hydraulic jack as a breaker bar and they came loose pretty quick.
Allow the spray to set in a bit and try to get something that will grant you a bit more leverage.
I know your probably frustrated as hell! But you'll get'em off..
Old 12-10-15, 01:33 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

I rode my bike down to auto zone and grabbed an impact wrench...money well spent.

So I put the new rotor on and when I spin the wheel, there is a metal on metal grinding sound. I took the following pic. Doesn't sound normal, what am I doing wrong? It's as if the rotor is too thick and it's rubbing against something. this is the driver's side front that I'm doing.

The rotor is hitting that metal guard to the right of the rotor in the pic. These are centric rotors and as far as I know the left front is Centric 120.44150 and the right is 120.44151.

Name:  rotor_zps9u19g5gv.jpg
Views: 1272
Size:  591.7 KB
Old 12-10-15, 01:37 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

It looks like it's a dust shield or something. Can I just bend it back 1/8"? It seems pretty pliable.
Old 12-10-15, 01:41 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sdwtchlvr
I rode my bike down to auto zone and grabbed an impact wrench...money well spent.

So I put the new rotor on and when I spin the wheel, there is a metal on metal grinding sound. I took the following pic. Doesn't sound normal, what am I doing wrong? It's as if the rotor is too thick and it's rubbing against something. this is the driver's side front that I'm doing.

The rotor is hitting that metal guard to the right of the rotor in the pic. These are centric rotors and as far as I know the left front is Centric 120.44150 and the right is 120.44151.

I'll be honest with you, as I wasn't completely aware of rotor sizes.
Im at work and cant see the pic (its blocked), i'll have to look on my phone in a few...
Did you make sure you cleaned off the hub with a wire brush, so that when the surface of the hub meets the back end surface of the rotor, its flush without any rust deposits?
Also, some do this, some don't, but once its cleaned very well, you can apply some lube to the hub face so the rotor wont rust-adhere to the hub over time and removal will be easier in t he future...
Old 12-10-15, 02:01 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Yes, cleaned the hub. But now it appears the new front rotors I bought are too big diameter for the caliper to fit over them...by 1/2" or so. Frustration level is setting in. I've got to pick my kids up from school in 1.5 hours so the old brakes are going back on the car.

The part numbers look to be correct but the rotor is clearly too big vs. the old rotor.
Old 12-10-15, 02:06 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Name:  image1-5_zpsi9cw498x.jpg
Views: 1295
Size:  1.03 MB

Name:  image2-2_zpsonupsx7z.jpg
Views: 1260
Size:  1.20 MB
Old 12-10-15, 02:17 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Aww man, really??
That's really sucks!
I guess it is possible they sent you the wrong size.
I wonder if they gave you Touring rotors?
Its no conciliation, but at least you are aware of how to take everything off, and I don't imagine returning the hardware for the correct size will be difficult.
But I understand the frustration of wanting to have it done once you've taken everything apart.
Hate to hear that...but it'll get done!
Old 12-10-15, 02:30 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

When I resurfaced my front rotors, I didn't lube squat. Turned 'em, slapped em back on, that was it. But I didn't put pads in either. They're so much better now.

I recommend using lubricant sparingly, and also read my post somewhere back about how to remove the rotors without hammering them. Even though you may be discarding your current rotors, my suggesting to thread-in bolts is easier than banging on the rotors to remove them.

7milesout
Old 12-10-15, 02:50 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

My old rotors were loose once the caliper came off. BTW, investing $60 in an impact wrench was the best money I've spent in a while. Broke the caliper screws loose in seconds and I'm sure I'll find several other uses for it.

Super bummed about today. The good thing was that I now know how to remove everything and put it back together. Bad thing is the rotors are off by a long shot. I bought everything via amazon though all 4 rotors shipped from different suppliers. What a pain?!

The rotors are clearly the wrong size. I input my car info into amazon and it popped up with those rotors.
Old 12-10-15, 03:07 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

I've already initiated a return with amazon for the front rotors. Can someone please point me in the right direction to buy some good front rotors that are assured to fit my car? SWB non air sus.

Last edited by sdwtchlvr; 12-10-15 at 03:18 PM.

Quick Reply: LS460 Brake job DIY: Pt. 1