LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Brake job DIY: Pt. 1

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-15, 06:24 AM
johnbros01
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Rear Rotors on ls460

Originally Posted by CRowe14
I tell ya 7, you're a pretty intelligent cookie!
This is the final entry to my brake saga.
As stated above, I went to Lexus this afternoon and had him pull an 08 into the bay with mine right behind it. Only difference was my vehicle is an L and the 08 was a base. He performed the gear shifts on the 08, barely a noise at all. The only noise was the actuator sound from applying the eBrake and barely, if at all that tap/pop sound of the eBake engaging. I went through the gears on mine and the sound from the actuator was heard along with the very audible tap/pop noise, and it was noticed by the service writer, tech who worked on my brakes as well as the Master Tech.
The tech assured me that he took the brakes apart and saw nothing wrong. He said that the only issue was that the point at which the rotors pistons were pushing on the pads were a bit off, but that was it. That and retorquing the rotors.
And yes, I did see exactly what you're talking about, regarding the, what seemed to me to be a "hub behind a hub" rear brake system. Your observation and analysis are correct 7, as the rear brake system on these vehicles have a double systematic operation: drum and disc, and the drum system sits behind the disc.
In closing, the tech and MT assured me that my system works fine. I then asked why the 08 didn't do it and mine did. The tech said it could b a few things, but he attributed this factor to the fact that I have brand new breaks and pads and the 08 didn't. The change in measurement of the pads and rotors, adjustments, possibly (not likely) aftermarket rotors, but the bottom line was that they are standing behind their work and brake inspection, saying that the rear brakes perform as they should. He also stated that this ideal is reinforced because if I turn the Auto eBrake off, the sound isn't there.
He did confirm what your Chassis Engineer stated-that the ebrake system is really to reinforce the default brake system when the car is parked/left on a hill/incline, in the event the trans fails as these cars are very heavy.
But he did say the noise was from the ebrake engaging/disengaging/shifting and that all was A-Okay.
Hey - Just saw your thread. I am a Shade Tree Mechanic and have been one for over 50 Years. I have changed brakes on many types of cars including a Lexus but not an LS460, though I am about to do mine. The rear rotors do normally include a drum on the back of the rotor for the parking brake. If you try to change the rotor with the parking brake on, it is tight and hard to get off. To force it normally bends the parts and can cause a slight noise in the back. Be sure to release the parking brake before attempting to remove the rear rotors (But chock the front wheels first) Then use the two bolts to remove it slowly to prevent damage. Your car noise is definitely the Parking Brake. The adjustment the Service Technician made was "The Parking Brake". I am not aware of any car that requires an adjustment to the Caliper (They are adjusted with hydraulic pressure when you press the brake peddle). Did you replace the shoes in the Parking Brake? Probably not. If you really want to get rid of the sound, try replacing the shoes and adjust the Parking Brake for the depth of the shoes. Not much different than the rotors to get to, but you MUST take a pic of the springs you remove so that you put them back the same as they were. This process is the same as removing a set of shoes on a 1960 Drum brake (if you can't find a 2008 Lexus shop procedure)- Requires strength and patience to get the top spring off and on.- use Brake tool or good channel locks held very tightly to prevent hurting yourself when it pulls out. Could also be the after market rotors you probably used. Though they are expensive, I try to use OEM Lexus parts to prevent the disappointment of a less than perfect fit. There are dealers that sell them for a discount (In California I believe). Hope this helps. Also rather than a C Clamp, I found a Ford Brake Retractor at Advance Auto for about $8 that works great on most cars and is made of the task. Grease is wonderful on the back of the pad but I am like the other guy - If you get any on the pad surface or rotor, you will corrupt the pad and reduce it's effectiveness in stopping the car. Keep it to a minimum next time. Though you had a dealer check behind you, you still did a great job and next time you will be prepared to do it again. The parking break is a normal whoops for most first timers. Great Job and Guts.

Last edited by johnbros01; 08-15-15 at 06:35 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 08-17-15, 12:39 PM
jfattibe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7milesout
CRowe14 - Good write-up. But I mentioned something in my post about the $20 resurfacing that I meant to explain ... but didn't.

You don't need to whomp on your rotors to knock'em loose. There are 2 small threaded holes in the rotor hat area. Find you a couple screws that thread into them. I take the 2 screws out of my Corolla's radiator support brackets. Because these screws are the right size and thread, and they're really easy to get to on my Corolla. I hazard to guess the LS uses the same screws for it's radiator support, but I didn't bother to look because I knew right where to find them on the Corolla.

Anyway, when you thread them into the holes in the rotor cap, take a socket and turn them 1/4 ~ 1/2 turn each (once they're threaded in far enough to touch the hub). It only takes a few iterations of doing this and PING, off jumps the rotor. This is why I say that greasing the rotor / hub is not necessary. And I don't want to take the chance of slinging grease around and onto the rotor.

I'm betting these holes are on the rear rotors same as the front. And if you're going to resurface the rears, you probably don't want to be whomping them to get them off. I didn't want to whomp mine since I was resurfacing. P.S. - I like saying and typing "whomp."

7milesout

I just did my front rotors and pads and thanks to the great people of this forum it was a breeze. But unfortunately, I did bang on the rotor front and rear to get them off. Now it sounds like the whole front end is ready to shake apart ! (just noise, nothing felt in the wheel) Just wondering if anyone knows what I did? I had a little front end noise before when going over decent size bumps but now it worse. Am I looking at the dreaded front end control arm bushings or did I possibly loosen something ?? Just my luck, fix one thing and create another problem ?!?!!

Last edited by jfattibe; 08-17-15 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-16-15, 08:12 PM
cerbum
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 7milesout
You don't need to whomp on your rotors to knock'em loose. There are 2 small threaded holes in the rotor hat area. Find you a couple screws that thread into them. I take the 2 screws out of my Corolla's radiator support brackets. Because these screws are the right size and thread, and they're really easy to get to on my Corolla. I hazard to guess the LS uses the same screws for it's radiator support, but I didn't bother to look because I knew right where to find them on the Corolla.

Anyway, when you thread them into the holes in the rotor cap, take a socket and turn them 1/4 ~ 1/2 turn each (once they're threaded in far enough to touch the hub). It only takes a few iterations of doing this and PING, off jumps the rotor. This is why I say that greasing the rotor / hub is not necessary. And I don't want to take the chance of slinging grease around and onto the rotor.
OMFG. Thank you so much for this. After whacking the drivers front rotor for 15 mins with every kind of mallet, hammer, sledge I have, it wasn't budging. Found a couple of bolts that fit the threads, and BADA BING BADA BOOM, fugeddaboutit. Rotor popped off with quite the loud crack.

-cerbum
Old 09-20-15, 09:33 PM
cerbum
Rookie

So, I hope this doesn't get buried too deeply, but sort of a followup to roadfrog and others discussing bleeding brakes on these cars.

I just replaced front pads, rotors and brake wear sensor, after disconnecting the battery. Like one other poster on the board (can't find the link), I too was compressing the pistons in the caliper, and after getting 2 of them compressed on the same side, and clamping them down so they didn't expand, I clamped the 3rd piston and when I squeezed the clamp, the 4th piston went flying, following by a boatload of brake fluid. Ugh.

Cleaned everything up, reseated the piston, put the boot back in place, re-assembled everything and now needed to bleed the brakes. As we all know, traditional methods don't work on these cars. However, using the cars brake fluid pumping system, I got it to help me bleed the brakes. Here is how I did it. Nothing earth shattering, but hopefully this will help someone else.

0) get a 2nd person. You'll need them.

1) re-connected battery. Let car do its thing for 5 mins before hitting the ignition button to enable radio (old school key position 1?). Hooked up tube to brake bleeder value with other end into a 2L bottle to catch the fluid.

2) opened the drivers door, heard the brake system (ABS?) run for a second or so, Opened the bleeder valve on the caliper, small amount of liquid came out, but not much. Closed bleeder valve.

3) had buddy press down brake pedal, and hold it down. Opened bleeder valve, and an air bubble popped out, then some liquid, but again not much. Closed bleeder valve, lifted foot off brake pedal.

4) Hit start button. Accessories turned on, computer booted, et all. Heard ABS (?) pump again, this time louder and longer. Let car boot up and settle down until no more noises were heard. Pressed and held down brake pedal, and opened bleeder value. HUGE amounts of air came whooshing out, following by liquid. Closed bleeder valve. Released brake pedal. Topped off brake fluid reservoir.

Pressed and held brake pedal, opened bleeder valve, waiting until all liquid/air that was going to come out on this pass was done, closed valve, released pedal. Repeated this until only liquid and no bubbles came out. Did this while car engine was stopped, but all accessories were powered up.

Done.

No techstream computer here. Put car back together, drove around a bit to seat the brakes. No ABS, CEL or other dummy lights popped up. May not be ideal, but sure a lot better than $300 for the local Lexus dealer to bleed the front brakes. If I had the magic computer, I would have used it to disable the brake control, but I didn't.
Old 09-21-15, 04:50 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by cerbum
So, I hope this doesn't get buried too deeply, but sort of a followup to roadfrog and others discussing bleeding brakes on these cars.

I just replaced front pads, rotors and brake wear sensor, after disconnecting the battery. Like one other poster on the board (can't find the link), I too was compressing the pistons in the caliper, and after getting 2 of them compressed on the same side, and clamping them down so they didn't expand, I clamped the 3rd piston and when I squeezed the clamp, the 4th piston went flying, following by a boatload of brake fluid. Ugh.

Cleaned everything up, reseated the piston, put the boot back in place, re-assembled everything and now needed to bleed the brakes. As we all know, traditional methods don't work on these cars. However, using the cars brake fluid pumping system, I got it to help me bleed the brakes. Here is how I did it. Nothing earth shattering, but hopefully this will help someone else.

0) get a 2nd person. You'll need them.

1) re-connected battery. Let car do its thing for 5 mins before hitting the ignition button to enable radio (old school key position 1?). Hooked up tube to brake bleeder value with other end into a 2L bottle to catch the fluid.

2) opened the drivers door, heard the brake system (ABS?) run for a second or so, Opened the bleeder valve on the caliper, small amount of liquid came out, but not much. Closed bleeder valve.

3) had buddy press down brake pedal, and hold it down. Opened bleeder valve, and an air bubble popped out, then some liquid, but again not much. Closed bleeder valve, lifted foot off brake pedal.

4) Hit start button. Accessories turned on, computer booted, et all. Heard ABS (?) pump again, this time louder and longer. Let car boot up and settle down until no more noises were heard. Pressed and held down brake pedal, and opened bleeder value. HUGE amounts of air came whooshing out, following by liquid. Closed bleeder valve. Released brake pedal. Topped off brake fluid reservoir.

Pressed and held brake pedal, opened bleeder valve, waiting until all liquid/air that was going to come out on this pass was done, closed valve, released pedal. Repeated this until only liquid and no bubbles came out. Did this while car engine was stopped, but all accessories were powered up.

Done.

No techstream computer here. Put car back together, drove around a bit to seat the brakes. No ABS, CEL or other dummy lights popped up. May not be ideal, but sure a lot better than $300 for the local Lexus dealer to bleed the front brakes. If I had the magic computer, I would have used it to disable the brake control, but I didn't.
Congrats on doing this one yourself.
I hope all is well with your brake system and nothing goes wrong, and I mean that seriously.
Unless I'm being over analytical, I was a bit to nervous about doing this procedure myself, so I allowed Lexus to do it for me for $120 (with a coupon). With all of the horror stories going on about dealerships, it causes an owner to have considerable pause for concern, but I felt as though techstream was my best option.
Good job!
Old 09-21-15, 09:03 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I hope all is well with your brake system and nothing goes wrong, and I mean that seriously.
Unless I'm being over analytical, I was a bit to nervous about doing this procedure myself, so I allowed Lexus to do it for me for $120 (with a coupon). With all of the horror stories going on about dealerships, it causes an owner to have considerable pause for concern, but I felt as though techstream was my best option.
Good job!
May not be ideal, but sure a lot better than $300 for the local Lexus dealer to bleed the front brakes.
No way should bleeding front brakes (front AND back for that matter) cost 300 dollars.
Old 09-28-15, 11:47 AM
cerbum
Rookie

Good job!
I put the car together at 10:30pm on Sunday night, drove it around the 'hood for a few mins, everything felt good. Parked it and went to Vegas at 6am the next day. I'll find out how well I did over the next few days when I start to drive it again.

So far (90 seconds of motion), no dummy lights!
Old 09-28-15, 12:06 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I put the car together at 10:30pm on Sunday night, drove it around the 'hood for a few mins, everything felt good. Parked it and went to Vegas at 6am the next day. I'll find out how well I did over the next few days when I start to drive it again.

So far (90 seconds of motion), no dummy lights!
So far, so good huh... awesome!

Old 09-29-15, 10:00 AM
hushjohn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park Break warning

I just had a total Break job done on my 2008 LS 460 changing all Roters and Pads, and now it says my Park break not accessible see dealer. So we went back and changed all the Break hardware for the park break in the rear and it is still saying see Dealer. Anyone with any Ideal to Help Me ???
Old 09-30-15, 02:30 PM
cerbum
Rookie

So far, so good huh... awesome!

Yep! I put about 20 miles on the car today on suburban roads. No dummy lights! After a few weeks of continued goodness, I'll call it. Stay tuned.
Old 09-30-15, 03:07 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by hushjohn
I just had a total Break job done on my 2008 LS 460 changing all Roters and Pads, and now it says my Park break not accessible see dealer. So we went back and changed all the Break hardware for the park break in the rear and it is still saying see Dealer. Anyone with any Ideal to Help Me ???
See dealer.
Old 10-07-15, 02:28 PM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts
Default could not break loose the two big nuts on the caliper

was trying to DIY replace the rotors. but could not break loose the two big nuts attaching the calipers to the knuckle.
had to use a indi shop, paid $100 to replace rotors and brake pads of all 4 wheels.
Old 10-08-15, 05:43 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bigger wrench. If you were using a ratchet, add a cheater to the end to make it bigger. I have had a hard time with a standard wrench or ratchet many times. I have an 18" ratchet that I use on tough nuts and bolts, and it's crazy how easy they become. The power of leverage!
Old 10-09-15, 08:05 PM
cerbum
Rookie

Originally Posted by Unsober1
Bigger wrench. If you were using a ratchet, add a cheater to the end to make it bigger. I have had a hard time with a standard wrench or ratchet many times. I have an 18" ratchet that I use on tough nuts and bolts, and it's crazy how easy they become. The power of leverage!
I had the same issue. I didn't go for a bigger wrench, I went for air tools. Used the same air rachet on the brake caliper bolts as I used on the wheel lug nuts. Still took several seconds to break the bolts loose. Worked incredibly well.

-cerbum
Old 10-09-15, 08:06 PM
cerbum
Rookie

Yep! I put about 20 miles on the car today on suburban roads. No dummy lights! After a few weeks of continued goodness, I'll call it. Stay tuned.
it's been 3 weeks and about 400 miles. So far, so good. No dummy lights. I'm happy with the results.

-cerbum

Quick Reply: LS460 Brake job DIY: Pt. 1