LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2013 LS460 Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-15, 07:31 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2013 LS460 Issues

I posted in the Lexus Factory forum, but thought I'd post here in case some folks either don't know of the factory forum or don't check it regularly. Since this is the forum for all things LS460 (among other things), it seem apropos.

Issues:

1. Just put her in for the SECOND brake actuator replacement at 45k miles. First failed at 22k miles, so they DO have that consistency thing nailed.

2. Also had to replace BOTH B-pillar trim pieces which have soft facing material that cannot withstand the constant barrage of seat belt buckles banging into them during retraction. They start by showing marks, then dents, and finally the material gives up altogether and begins to shred. Ugh!

3. Brake shudder due to "rotor warpage." I believe this problem is due to production engineering (or lack thereof) during final assembly. Hub runout at maximum combines with rotor runout at maximum, even though both are within tolerance, to produce a stackup tolerance outside the spec which results in warpage given enough thermal cycles. The reason the problem occurs only rarely is due to hub and rotor tolerance variations AND the various stackup combinations arbitrarily selected during final assembly of rotors to hubs.

4. The recirculation-biased AC causes mold (and odor) buildup in the AC system. Since this "choice" was made by Toyota to gain U.S. CAFE credits, the fault lies more with EPA and DOT than with TMC. Still, the unsuspecting Lexus customer is the one who suffers.

I'll buy an extended factory warranty on the car, run it for another year (20k), then sell it before the chickens come home to roost. ****-poor way to run a railroad.
Old 03-10-15, 01:05 AM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

oh man thats pretty damn awful, i've driven many 2008-2011 LS models when i use to operate a limo service and they were pretty bulletproof, and all of this you are experiencing at 45k miles, unbelievable. It seems you are pretty fed up and want to get rid of the car, however i was going to suggest upgrading the brake rotors and calipers, i traded a GS lease and bought an ES h and the only thing i really miss is the brakes so im going to swap them, maybe brembos if i can
Old 03-10-15, 07:01 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

What were your symptoms on the actuator? Just curious
Old 03-12-15, 06:25 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PirelliGS

It seems you are pretty fed up and want to get rid of the car, however i was going to suggest upgrading the brake rotors and calipers
No, not fed up. All cars have issues, some more serious and some more aggravating than others. With Lexus factory warranty coverage and free loaners, repair time and expense doesn't really enter into the equation. Also, I'm about tired of any car after 60k miles, so I'll be just in time for the re-engineered LS, which I understand will be out early-mid 2016 as a 2017 model.

On my shuddering brake issue, I had the stock rotors properly resurfaced while still mounted on the vehicle (i.e. trued to the axis of rotation rather than to the hub surface. Pep Boys did the work some time ago and the brakes have been perfect ever since - still on stock pads as well.

On my actuator issues, the 2007 had the well-known crunching sound and feel - horrible! Both 2013 actuators exhibited the same failure mode: a heard and felt clicking when just applying the brakes and only when in gear. The problem was most evident in heavy stop-n-go traffic where repetitious light brake application occurs over an extended period of time. The constant clicking (which even my passengers could hear) drove me to distraction. At first, the Lexus guys looked at me a bit funny, but I told them I'd go away if any BRAND NEW LS on the lot had the same problem. I further told them that had my vehicle had the problem when I first drove it, I would never have bought it. They nodded and authorized the new part.

Last edited by williakz; 03-12-15 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-13-15, 12:06 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
On my actuator issues, the 2007 had the well-known crunching sound and feel - horrible! Both 2013 actuators exhibited the same failure mode: a heard and felt clicking when just applying the brakes and only when in gear. The problem was most evident in heavy stop-n-go traffic where repetitious light brake application occurs over an extended period of time. The constant clicking (which even my passengers could hear) drove me to distraction. At first, the Lexus guys looked at me a bit funny, but I told them I'd go away if any BRAND NEW LS on the lot had the same problem. I further told them that had my vehicle had the problem when I first drove it, I would never have bought it. They nodded and authorized the new part.
Even though my 2007 never had this problem, I think there is a TSB about a clicking noise on the brakes, and it was solved with just the correct lubrication. Most noises happened when backing up the car, because the emergency breaks are electric and there was some play that caused the clicking noise. Check into this TSB and take a copy to your service manager -- he might blush.

Last edited by Luxofreak; 03-13-15 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-13-15, 08:01 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

I have a suggestion how to solve all those problems. Next time, buy a Sonata. When you return to Lexus, any level of problems is going to feel small. Plus comparing the service between the two will make you laugh and laugh about what you experienced with Hyundai. Just a suggestion. Maybe not worth $0.02 though.
Old 03-14-15, 06:07 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Every single car on the road has problems with brake shudder...excessive lateral runout, parrelism, hub runout, rust accumulation under the hat, etc. if you can find a pad/rotor combination that works, good for you. Right now I have a combo that works, but I have no idea what brand it is because I bought the car like that. But I have personally gone through many many brands before to find a good fit. And the thing is, even when you find that best fit, the maker of those pads and rotors may (and often do), change their formula because of price and profit. Then you are back to square one.

The interior problem is not surprising, do to it's location. Check any car - unless the inside is made of steel, you are going to get wear somewhere where the driver enters and exits the vehicle. Think about it. Usually he seat is destroyed...or the pillar...or the floor. I've literally seen holes in carpets all the way down to the sheet metal. Again, unless it's made of metal, it will wear.

And the smell from the AC unit happens in every single car as well. Bacteria builds up in there do to condensation and temperature changes. They do sell stuff you can spray down in there to kill it, or at least stop it from smelling so bad. I had a Accord that stunk so bad that I didn't want to turn the AC on...tried everything to get rid of it. One day it just went away...don't know why. Bacteria is tough to kill. Have you read what it does to your intestines? The use of antibiotics is really destroying people's digestive systems...hence why probiotics are selling like hot cakes...and those don't do much to help either. Trust me, I know
Old 03-14-15, 07:56 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Every single car on the road has problems with brake shudder...excessive lateral runout, parrelism, hub runout, rust accumulation under the hat, etc. if you can find a pad/rotor combination that works, good for you. Right now I have a combo that works, but I have no idea what brand it is because I bought the car like that. But I have personally gone through many many brands before to find a good fit. And the thing is, even when you find that best fit, the maker of those pads and rotors may (and often do), change their formula because of price and profit. Then you are back to square one.

The interior problem is not surprising, do to it's location. Check any car - unless the inside is made of steel, you are going to get wear somewhere where the driver enters and exits the vehicle. Think about it. Usually he seat is destroyed...or the pillar...or the floor. I've literally seen holes in carpets all the way down to the sheet metal. Again, unless it's made of metal, it will wear.

And the smell from the AC unit happens in every single car as well. Bacteria builds up in there do to condensation and temperature changes. They do sell stuff you can spray down in there to kill it, or at least stop it from smelling so bad. I had a Accord that stunk so bad that I didn't want to turn the AC on...tried everything to get rid of it. One day it just went away...don't know why. Bacteria is tough to kill. Have you read what it does to your intestines? The use of antibiotics is really destroying people's digestive systems...hence why probiotics are selling like hot cakes...and those don't do much to help either. Trust me, I know
Youve identified the problem, now these manufactures need to devise a solution. Bottom line is there is no excuse for poor quality. Engineers get paid good money to find solutions. It's just unfortunate that managers come in right behind them and undermine their engineering prowess in lieu of profits. Think the o-ring fiasco/disaster at NASA.

Onn a side note, probiotics do do much to help. I take a natural probiotic along with a natural life-style focused life in general and it helps towards in promoting optimum health.

Last edited by Pamperme; 03-14-15 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-14-15, 08:32 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Pamperme
Youve identified the problem, now these manufactures need to devise a solution. Bottom line is there is no excuse for poor quality. Engineers get paid good money to find solutions. It's just unfortunate that managers come in right behind them and undermine their engineering prowess in lieu of profits. Think the o-ring fiasco/disaster at NASA.

Onn a side note, probiotics do do much to help. I take a natural probiotic along with a natural life-style focused life in general and it helps towards in promoting optimum health.
I think it all comes down to cost...the rotors are made so cheaply now and it's a problem. The metal just can't stand up to the weight and power of most of these cars, yet they just keep on making them.

As for the probiotics, they really work? I've tried all sorts of different brands...even liquid probiotics and they don't seem to help me. I'll give them another shot.
Old 03-14-15, 08:44 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I think it all comes down to cost...the rotors are made so cheaply now and it's a problem. The metal just can't stand up to the weight and power of most of these cars, yet they just keep on making them.

As for the probiotics, they really work? I've tried all sorts of different brands...even liquid probiotics and they don't seem to help me. I'll give them another shot.
My time spent as an automotive engineer, the theory above holds the most water. I just got through putting two new rotors and new pads on my mighty Corolla (this morning). The rotors were about $35. That is CHEAP. Which tells me 2 things. 1) it must be the cheapest steel known to man and 2) these things require machine time to manufacture ... so they must be made in China. There's no way they can be that cheap made in America (unfortunately).

By the way, the mighty Corolla went 185,900 miles before the brakes were ever touched. This was the first service. They were still working good, but was starting to grind the pad base metal against the rotor ... lots of noise. So for a total of $83 I just replaced the fronts. The rears still have not been touched.

I haven't started taking probiotics yet ... i've been relying on Hardee's biscuits. So far so good.

7milesout