LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 Hard Drive replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-15, 09:08 AM
Steve748
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're correct, the dealer isn't making $1500. I should have stated simply, that Lexus is charging $1600 for a $50 street value hard drive. Whoever is making the profit is irrelevant to me. If they are going to manufacture a product with a known limited life span, the least they could do would be to offer that product at a more reasonable price point for.

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Well, the dealer isn't making $1500 - they aren't getting the drive from Lexus for $50. Lexus load the drive with the necessary operating system, programming and maps and then sell it to the dealer.

I see no reason why a cloning program can't make a bit-for-bit copy of the drive but someone will need to get a working drive out of another car and try that first.

Oh, and don't believe all the hype about SSDs. They have a lifetime about the same as a mechanical drive because they are limited by the number of read/write cycles (MLC). Of course, if you can afford an SLC SSD, that might mitigate the read/write cycle issue. Also SSDs have some fundamental differences from mechanical drives so, while you might be able to clone a mechanical to mechanical drive, mechanical to SSD might be more problematic.

None of which is meant to deflect attention from the cost of the (inevitable) drive replacement!

Old 11-12-15, 09:28 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, the dealer isn't making $1500 - they aren't getting the drive from Lexus for $50. Lexus load the drive with the necessary operating system, programming and maps and then sell it to the dealer.
I was under the impression that they don't just replace the HDD but rather they replace the whole Nav unit?
Old 11-12-15, 11:23 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by enoch861
I was under the impression that they don't just replace the HDD but rather they replace the whole Nav unit?
I think that is correct. They replace a malfunctioning $50 drive in a perfectly good head unit. I know for a fact that the replacement HU is "refurbished" (ie "used"). God help us if the HDD is also "refurbished"!

Old 11-17-15, 09:54 PM
Hermes16
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

what about just purchasing a 2015 ls hard drive?
Old 11-18-15, 06:33 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I think that is correct. They replace a malfunctioning $50 drive in a perfectly good head unit. I know for a fact that the replacement HU is "refurbished" (ie "used"). God help us if the HDD is also "refurbished"!

And am I correct to assume that the whole OS is also stored on the HDD instead of some sort of Flash memory? If so, that's one of the stupidest implementations.

Originally Posted by Hermes16
what about just purchasing a 2015 ls hard drive?
I'm assuming it's the same concept as the others.
Old 11-18-15, 02:39 PM
wilkesmann
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Steve748
Hey Kurt,

The HDD is located in the rear of the flat screen display. In order to get to it, you'll have to remove the glove box, the 2 leather side panels on the gear shift console and the plastic panel beneath the steering column. There's about 6 screws holding the flat screen in. It's been about half a year since I pulled mine out so I'm forgetting the details. It's not to hard to get out but your have to be careful prying out the wood trim over the flat screen unit and also the airbag below the glove box has to come out. So make sure your battery is disconnected. I have pictures from when I did it. I'll find them and see if I can post them.
But the problem is not so much getting to it, it's getting the new one programmed. From what I'm reading, it costs $1600 for a HDD from Lexus. This is a HDD that can be bought for $60 on Amazon. So the dealer is in essence marking up the unit $1500 which is ridiculous if you ask me. So I pulled mine out took pictures and put it back together. I'm still driving with a blank screen. If anyone knows how to program a new HDD please let us all know!!!
Hey Steve

I guess my last weeks reply got lost.....

here again

thanks for your information. If you'll find your pictures and post them, that would be of G8 help.

It seems a little bit of a long weekend work.. I try it when we find a free weekend. Lexus Germany told me that there are 4 different Producers for this LS 460 Unit and they think that the HDD is in the trunk. I do not know if that is true. However I asked my dealer in Florida where I bought it, and Lexus USA but I never got any answer. Lexus Germany could only help if the know the producer.

And Lexus Switzerland refuses all, they say that is an US Model and not bought in Switzerland, therefore no help.

So I don't know, my LS has the Mark Levinson Sound System with the car parking assistant.

My Idea was to recover the original HDD with a recovery program and clone it; or first I would try to clone it directly if I manage to run original HDD on a PC.

By the way,
When I took my LS460 form the US to Switzerland in 2010, I was not really happy with Lexus, the old slogan claims that Lexus is the pursuit to perfection. But they do not give a worldwide guarantee. And as we see the LS should be the top of the top and has this problem. Sad
Old 11-22-15, 08:14 PM
Steve748
10th Gear

Kurt,

Sorry for the delay. I found the pictures but I've been sidetracked with other issues. The starter died on my LS last Sunday. It took me a weeks worth of spare time to get the starter out (it's under the exhaust manifold). As soon as I can post them I will. But I'm pretty confident that the HDD Is located in a slot in the back of your Nav head unit just like mine. I've asked the dealer about a price since I was there ordering parts for the starter issue. They quoted me $1600 for just the HDD no labor. I'll be in touch.

Steve
Old 12-05-15, 10:44 PM
Steve748
10th Gear

Kurt,

Sorry for the delay. Here's an attachment with some pictures that I hope will help out. I replaced my HDD today with a new drive that I purchased from Lexus for $1,000. They originally quoted my $1600 but the parts manager was able to get me a better price if I returned my non-working drive to Lexus. I was more than happy to oblige. I was going to see about cloning the drive and also see about getting a solid state drive but unfortunately I just didn't have time to pursue those avenues. Anyway I'm happy to report that I no longer have the "A program cannot be read, please consult to a dealer" message on my navi unit. After installing the new hard drive I have regained my rearview camera, maps (Albeit old map data from 2006) and all the other functionality of the nav unit. I'm a happy dude....for now If you have any questions I'll be more than happy to assist to the best of my ability.

Steve
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
07 LS 460 HDD PDF.pdf (976.5 KB, 1071 views)
Old 12-06-15, 04:24 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Interesting - my dealer replaces (exchanges) the entire head unit. I'm surprised they gave you an exchange drive, especially with a 2006 load. The 80gb drive is all that's available now (30gb no longer available). Do you know if you can use the additional 50gb space for more music?
Old 12-07-15, 04:20 AM
wilkesmann
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for your G8 workè

Hi Steve,

thanks a lot for your manual instructions, what a work! I deeply appreciate it. And what a poor Lexus Support to sell you an old software. However better than the non working unit with the "A program cannot...." display.

By the way: Did you see that on your new HDD that shows warranty void if any label ..... 18MAR14.
Guess that this problem is very well know by Lexus and they keep replacement HDD's ready.

I'll request the HDD at Lexus Switzerland or Germany if they sell it, It seems to be a lot of work. Or I try t cone it, when I have a free covered and heated home Parking lot (In Switzerland its rather cold now)

Thanks again, with early Season's greetings and best wishes for the New Year!

from Switzerland
Kurt

Originally Posted by Steve748
Kurt,

Sorry for the delay. Here's an attachment with some pictures that I hope will help out. I replaced my HDD today with a new drive that I purchased from Lexus for $1,000. They originally quoted my $1600 but the parts manager was able to get me a better price if I returned my non-working drive to Lexus. I was more than happy to oblige. I was going to see about cloning the drive and also see about getting a solid state drive but unfortunately I just didn't have time to pursue those avenues. Anyway I'm happy to report that I no longer have the "A program cannot be read, please consult to a dealer" message on my navi unit. After installing the new hard drive I have regained my rearview camera, maps (Albeit old map data from 2006) and all the other functionality of the nav unit. I'm a happy dude....for now If you have any questions I'll be more than happy to assist to the best of my ability.

Steve
Old 12-10-15, 08:59 AM
andyville
Driver School Candidate

OK, newbie question here.... what hard drive are you guys referring to? just bought a '15 LS 460 Crafted Line with ML audio. It has no hard drive, at least that I'm aware of... and I specifically asked my sales person, and he told me NO LS's have ever had a hard drive for storing music....
Old 12-10-15, 09:05 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

It is only on the older models. I believe 2007-2009. But I could be wrong on the model years. Mine is a 2007 and has it.
Old 12-10-15, 09:23 AM
andyville
Driver School Candidate

hmmm.... why would they stop including it? Given all the problems with trying to play music from a USB drive through the ML system, it sure would be nice to have a hard drive like my M5 had!
Old 12-10-15, 09:46 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts

I never thought it was for storing music. I always thought it was where the Nav program was stored?

Dennis
Old 12-10-15, 10:00 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

No, you can rip cd's to it and save them. I have about 10-15 cd's on mine and have only used like 4-5% of the space. It also holds the nav program, but the rest is for music.

Quick Reply: LS 460 Hard Drive replacement