LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Blower Motor Replacement DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-15, 11:43 AM
HumanMale
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blower Motor Replacement DIY?

Hi there,

Have a sneaking suspicion my blower motor might be on its way out.

I've done a search of this form for blower motor DIY replacement and while I've gotten some general, vague ideas of how to do it on other cars, nothing specific to the LS460. Anyone done it before or know where one could get a guide to instruct one how to do it?

Thanks all!
Old 01-20-15, 08:43 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Alldatadiy.com

As for the work involved....it requires removing the entire A/C unit....not for the faint of heart. Disconnection of the ac lines means refrigerant recovery etc. Also requires removal of parts of the dash, console etc.
Old 01-21-15, 07:29 AM
HumanMale
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Alldatadiy.com

As for the work involved....it requires removing the entire A/C unit....not for the faint of heart. Disconnection of the ac lines means refrigerant recovery etc. Also requires removal of parts of the dash, console etc.
Sorry Roadfrog, must have been my bad in not properly explaining - I'm talking about the HVAC blower motor behind the glove compartment. Sorry!

Anyways, I did it last night in about 20 minutes. Very simple:

1) remove kick panel below glove box (there are three clips holding it in place towards the front and one light cable which needs to be unclipped as well);
2) Unscrew three screws holding the blower unit in place;
3) disconnect the blower motor cable from the blower motor; and
4) pull the motor out (just falls out basically).

Thank you for the DIY link however- will be useful for future DIY attempts!
Old 01-21-15, 07:37 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by HumanMale
Sorry Roadfrog, must have been my bad in not properly explaining - I'm talking about the HVAC blower motor behind the glove compartment. Sorry!

Anyways, I did it last night in about 20 minutes. Very simple:

1) remove kick panel below glove box (there are three clips holding it in place towards the front and one light cable which needs to be unclipped as well);
2) Unscrew three screws holding the blower unit in place;
3) disconnect the blower motor cable from the blower motor; and
4) pull the motor out (just falls out basically).

Thank you for the DIY link however- will be useful for future DIY attempts!
Ahhh ok! LOL. Well that's better news! So were your suspicions correct? Was the motor faulty?

As for that link I provided, it's a bargain. works out to about 10 bucks a year for a subscription. It provides all recall info, TSB's, hourly rate estimates for each job and even parts cost estimates.
Old 01-21-15, 07:50 AM
HumanMale
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Ahhh ok! LOL. Well that's better news! So were your suspicions correct? Was the motor faulty?

As for that link I provided, it's a bargain. works out to about 10 bucks a year for a subscription. It provides all recall info, TSB's, hourly rate estimates for each job and even parts cost estimates.
Wow. Keeps mechanics honest then? I like that. A lot. I think I'll be subscribing shortly.

I'm still not sure the blower motor is gone though. Here's another post I created to discus my problem (an annoying, but not debilitating, squeal every so often): https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ml#post8877854

Long story short is that I believe it's on its way out- the sound only comes every once in a while and after some handling and spinning of the fan in opposite directions, it seems to have sort of gone away.

I'll probably just pick up a new motor at one point from a wrecker next time I see an LS460 someone smashed up (although I'll probably cry a bit crawling around inside of a wrecked one ...)
Old 01-21-15, 08:00 AM
jud149
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

I saw those instructions to remove the a/c unit to r & r the blower motor and found it rather odd one would have to go all thru that. I just checked my '11 LS460 Lexus shop manual and those instructions are for removing the entire blower motor assembly.
Old 01-21-15, 07:19 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Used:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-07-12-LS460-BLOWER-MOTOR-87103-50100-116340-8260-OEM-/121497582232?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c49d1fa98&vxp=mtr
New:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-TOYOTA-OEM-07-12-LS460-Blower-Motor-8710350101-/251664704799?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ALS460&hash=item3a9862a51f&vxp=mtr
Old 01-22-15, 08:31 AM
HumanMale
Driver School Candidate

New one not available in ebay Canada I'm afraid (which is total bull but whatever ...), BUT thank you for pointing out the used one for me! I had seen it previously, but apparently it's been discounted from it's old price in the last day or two! Amazing!

My blower motor definitely has the squeaks and it's only a matter of time until they come back ... might jump on that deal now and just hang onto it for the time when the motor goes again- and I'm not fooling myself- it will start squeaking again soon.

Thanks Roadfrog!
Old 01-22-15, 02:33 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by HumanMale
New one not available in ebay Canada I'm afraid (which is total bull but whatever ...), BUT thank you for pointing out the used one for me! I had seen it previously, but apparently it's been discounted from it's old price in the last day or two! Amazing!

My blower motor definitely has the squeaks and it's only a matter of time until they come back ... might jump on that deal now and just hang onto it for the time when the motor goes again- and I'm not fooling myself- it will start squeaking again soon.

Thanks Roadfrog!
I'm lucky. I live in Canada, but the border is only 20 minutes away, so I ship there, drop across the line and pick it up.
Old 08-11-16, 07:07 PM
davidffei
Driver School Candidate

Default Confused

My AC makes a loud noise each time I turn the car on and then it just about goes dead. When I'm driving on the highway, I feel some cool air coming through. The dealer told me that "it" needs to be replaced and costs almost $500 including labor. Is it possible that it's just the HVAC blower behind the glove compartment? I'm hoping it is so that I can do it myself. My lease is almost over and I would hate to have to spend $500. Can someone please tell me if it sounds live the HVAC blower? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-17-16, 09:55 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Had some noise coming out of my blower motor...has been getting progressively worse. Then it stopped working last night. Took it apart and "fixed" it enough to get it working again until I can buy a new one. Pretty easy/simple. The clip that holds the shaft done into the motor and bushing worked its way out enough to cause the fan to wobble and become noisy. I was able to drive the clip and assembly back down into its bore. The thing spins fine now, but the bushing is most likely wiped out...any here's some pics.

This is the clip that allowed the shaft to back off.
Had to drive the clip down after its lower price was driven in.
Lightly tapped a socket with a hammer.
Then did the same to the clip portion.
On the clip.
The cover
Putting the cover back on. Just a few simple screws.
Three screws.

Mother board.
Piece that screws in over the board.
Back together
Plug
Simple prong
Have no idea why I loaded three pictures of this.
Three screws and it's back up
Probably the easiest blower motor I've ever removed and installed. Ten minute job.
Installing the cover.
There are four tabs in the front of this molding that a simple flat head screw driver unclipps. Easy. And there are two locating tabs in the back that hold the kick molding up.
​​​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by Doublebase:
mjh7111 (01-12-20), swfla (05-19-22)
Old 12-19-16, 05:54 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Great entry Double!!
Not sure if you remember, but mine was making that high pitched noise around this time last year. Once I'm the very beginning of an 11 hour road trip then once at the very end of it.
The car sat in the garage for a few days then I drove it again and haven't heard it since.
Your making me feel bad for not doing a DIY for replacing the HID ballast.
I may still do it since I did take a few photos.
​​​​​​​Thanks again, great work!
Old 05-17-18, 07:15 PM
Bigjule111
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is a older thread but much props on the how too! And boy this was easy ..def a 10 min job . Thanks
Old 05-19-22, 05:41 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

in case anyone needs or does not know the bushings are: Heater motor bushing 8*14/18, 5*14.5 MOTORHERZ KSU0006
Old 06-17-22, 08:06 PM
busted2007
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you! I'm going to attempt this myself. This garage just quoted me $600 do do this work, I can buy the part for $250 brand new and do it myself! They're taking the **** charging that much for such a simple task.

Quick Reply: Blower Motor Replacement DIY?