LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake Fluid Bleeding...DIY or NOT????

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-15, 05:02 AM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Brake Fluid Bleeding...DIY or NOT????

I know this has been discussed many time before but never found a straight answer! Not really looking for opinions as much as experience from someone who have done the brake fluid bleeding using the traditional way while battery is disconnected. Were you able to complete task without getting warning lights? Any issues after completing the process?

My 2008 600 with 29K miles has the original oil and want to change it, dealer said $200... I know they use the techstream but would be great if I can do it myself as many other cars.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-18-15, 05:14 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I'm going to be trying it soon, what I'm going to do is look it up in all data to see if there is a specific procedure. I'm hoping I can do it with a Snap On Verus and I also have an Autell, but I'm not sure if you can do it without techstream. I have taken it to local shops and they say they can easily do it with their scan tools, so I might be able to do it myself.

I have heard disconnecting the battery works fine, but supposedly you won't get the stuff out of the hydraulic unit, but the nasty stuff is at the calipers anyway.

Spending $200 to have a dealer do it is absurd. First off I'd be leery of paying anyone to do this service unless I could watch them do it, because half of them will do the old turkey baster trick and send it on it's way. Techs don't like working with brake fluid, it's a fluid that can get you fired after you spill some on someone's fender....or the painted floor. And bleeding brakes correctly can be a bit tedious.
Old 01-18-15, 07:26 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Here goes another can o' worms. LOL

There are some who state success in doing this without Techstream. Maybe so.

I can only state that even WITH Techstream, my dealer had to do the procedure TWICE to get the ABS and other sensors to co-operate and play nice to avoid dash lights being lit up.

I'm a hardcore DIY'er, but this and the transmission flush (another can o worms), are two jobs I will not tackle. And really....why bother when your dealer will do it for a reasonable price. My dealer charged me just shy of a hundred bucks while I sat in their waiting room sipping free Espressos and Capuccinos while watching a hockey game. An hour later....done.
Old 01-18-15, 08:18 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Here goes another can o' worms. LOL

There are some who state success in doing this without Techstream. Maybe so.

I can only state that even WITH Techstream, my dealer had to do the procedure TWICE to get the ABS and other sensors to co-operate and play nice to avoid dash lights being lit up.

I'm a hardcore DIY'er, but this and the transmission flush (another can o worms), are two jobs I will not tackle. And really....why bother when your dealer will do it for a reasonable price. My dealer charged me just shy of a hundred bucks while I sat in their waiting room sipping free Espressos and Capuccinos while watching a hockey game. An hour later....done.
Would you pay $200? Because that is what they're charging down here. And I've worked in dealers...turkey baster anyone? I'd have to guess 50% of the guys doing a brake fluid change aren't doing anything but sucking out whatever is in the master cylinder and replacing it with new fluid.

And I know you work on your own car, trust me you could handle the tranny service. I read your spark plug change post...you replaced your radiator, water pump. At the very least you could handle a simple drain and refill on that tranny.
Old 01-18-15, 09:23 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Would you pay $200? Because that is what they're charging down here. And I've worked in dealers...turkey baster anyone? I'd have to guess 50% of the guys doing a brake fluid change aren't doing anything but sucking out whatever is in the master cylinder and replacing it with new fluid.

And I know you work on your own car, trust me you could handle the tranny service. I read your spark plug change post...you replaced your radiator, water pump. At the very least you could handle a simple drain and refill on that tranny.

200 is out of line. Maybe that's what Lexus charges? I use my Toyota dealer. I can assure you there were no turkey basters harmed during filming. That's the good thing about reputable dealers that have their service bays visible from the waiting area...you can see whats going on.

Yes, I do almost all work on my own vehicles, but the trans service also requires Techstream, which I do not have. Again....some here insist that it can be done without. I disagree, as required temps are required while servicing and only Techstream can monitor those temps properly. Once again, for what Toyota charged me (149 dollars or so), they can have it. Not worth my time or aggravation for that price.
Old 01-18-15, 10:13 AM
jud149
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

I was quoted around $130 I believe to do the job by a dealer here in FL. for a complete flush.
Old 01-18-15, 02:32 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
200 is out of line. Maybe that's what Lexus charges? I use my Toyota dealer. I can assure you there were no turkey basters harmed during filming. That's the good thing about reputable dealers that have their service bays visible from the waiting area...you can see whats going on.

Yes, I do almost all work on my own vehicles, but the trans service also requires Techstream, which I do not have. Again....some here insist that it can be done without. I disagree, as required temps are required while servicing and only Techstream can monitor those temps properly. Once again, for what Toyota charged me (149 dollars or so), they can have it. Not worth my time or aggravation for that price.
For a 149.00...yeah it's a no brainer to have it done by a pro, but I assure you that you don't need techstream to monitor the transmission temp. There is a procedure that involves jumping two connectors on the DLC, that tells you when it has reached the temperature to check the fluid and most scan tools will be able to provide you with the transmission temp in their data display.
Old 01-18-15, 03:23 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Folks, I really did not mean to start a debate. I just wanted to find out if someone has done a successful DIY?

I have done all my other cars myself because I know I do it right and use quality products without waiting couple of hours at the dealer.
Old 01-18-15, 04:03 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hfahmy
Folks, I really did not mean to start a debate. I just wanted to find out if someone has done a successful DIY?

I have done all my other cars myself because I know I do it right and use quality products without waiting couple of hours at the dealer.
Debate? This is what we do, we talk cars and learn a few things.
Old 01-19-15, 09:44 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Truer words never spoken. LOL.

Also true. Fortunately the LS is very easy to DIY.
Old 01-19-15, 10:32 AM
jud149
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

Amen, brother...
Old 01-19-15, 06:55 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Then I can assume no one attempted a brake fluid change the traditional away yet.
Old 01-20-15, 07:47 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hfahmy
Then I can assume no one attempted a brake fluid change the traditional away yet.
You assume incorrectly and you can find a few people who claim they did it. Use the search function.
Old 01-20-15, 08:10 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Further, here is the PROPER brake flush procedure:

The brake bleed procedure consists of 5 main sections:

^ Section 1: Zero Down Accumulator Pressure (Zero Down)

This procedure is used to release the pressure from the accumulator prior to bleeding the brakes (or replacing the brake actuator). Techstream is used for this procedure.

^ Section 2: Disable Electronic Controlled Brakes (ECB Invalid)

This procedure using Techstream disables the ECB system temporarily to allow the front brakes to be bled manually. Using Techstream to disable brake control causes the master cylinder cut solenoid to turn OFF and the line from the master cylinder to front brake calipers to open allowing manual bleeding of the front brakes.

^ Section 3: Front Brake Bleed - Manual Process

This is a two-man process in which one technician pumps and holds the brake pedal while another technician opens the right front bleeder screw to remove air from the system. The same procedure is repeated for the left front.

^ Section 4: Rear Brake Bleed

^ Right Rear Brake Line Air Bleed

During this procedure Techstream opens the solenoid for the right rear brake line and then the accumulator pump runs during this process to push fluid and air out of the right rear caliper bleeder valve. During this process the brake pedal is NOT applied - the accumulator pump will automatically pump fluid out of the right rear caliper bleeder valve. This process bleeds the red brake line (suction line from the accumulator to the actuator) and passes air out through the right rear caliper bleeder.

^ Left Rear Brake Line Air Bleed

The left rear brake line is bled using a combination of the brake pedal being pressed-and-held and the accumulator pump.

^ Section 5: Reset Memory and Linear Valve Offset Calibration

The purpose of this step is to erase all previously memorized brake actuator linear valve calibration values and to re-calibrate the brake actuator linear valves after all brake bleeding procedures are finished. This procedure resets the memory of the skid control computer and then performs the Linear Valve Offset Learning Process. During the Linear Valve Offset Learning Process the skid control computer memorizes the characteristics of the actuator linear solenoids.

I will also attempt to find the info on the DIY version which will not remove fluid from ABS units, accumulators etc, since those require Techstream.
Old 01-30-15, 12:52 PM
Hannaabe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The good old days; pump and bleed one cylinder at a time while keeping up fluid in the reservoir and the only electrical wire was for reservoir fluid level .

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Bleeding...DIY or NOT????