LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lexus auction

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-15, 11:26 AM
jarm
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus auction

I see cars offered for sale all the time being purchased at a auction in Florida. You look at the carfax that they listed and would say purchased at auction. I would like to buy a used 2013 Lexus LS 460 at a reasonable price. Was thinking of going to auction or have someone go for me and see if I could find one. Anyone ever hear of this or been to a Lexus auction in Florida? Is the cheaper price of the LS at auction worth it if it has low miles?
Help

Jarm
Old 01-14-15, 12:20 PM
jud149
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

The auctions you are referring to are probably car dealer auctions and accessible only if you are a dealer.
Old 01-14-15, 12:23 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

I am not familiar with FL auctions, but in some states they are not open to the public. You have to be in the auto business to even get in.

If you can get in, a few cautions. Typically you cannot drive the car, and even visual inspection may be limited. Also be aware that if a new car dealer takes a car in trade, they only keep the premium ones. Cars with problems go straight to auction. So if you see a 2013 LS with low miles at an auction, something is probably wrong with it. Also, since they don't know you, bring cash and be prepared to get it off their property that same day.
Old 01-14-15, 01:26 PM
jarm
Pit Crew

Usually these cars are leased car returns. Any help?
Old 01-14-15, 01:51 PM
jud149
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by jarm
Usually these cars are leased car returns. Any help?
I think you pretty much have the scoop. I worked for Manheim Auctions in West Palm Beach, FL, I believe the largest, for a while after I retired. Their auctions do consist of many "off leases" which are brought in by Ford, GM, etc. But trust me, you cannot step one foot on their properties unless you are a dealer. Dealers, when I worked there, couldn't even bring in a friend. Obviously, dealers don't want the general public buying cars at wholesale prices.
Old 01-14-15, 02:25 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is true, and also why my uncle got a dealers license!
Old 01-14-15, 05:17 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

How funny is this.. my buddy was at the auction almost the exact time this thread was started... here's the pic he sent...
Attached Thumbnails Lexus auction-20150114_103421.jpg  
Old 01-14-15, 05:20 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Fyi... i got my Ls from the same auction 4yrs ago... i gotta a great deal.... no major issues to speak of.... i'll only buy auction cars from now on...
Old 01-14-15, 05:50 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I had a 460 and a 600...both passed through Manheim auction lot. The 600 was purchased as CPO, but I knew the dealer picked it up at highline manheim. Auction. I've had great success. There are mobile auction inspection services...or buy from a broker and you'll still save thousands

Last edited by CJITTY; 01-15-15 at 02:46 AM.
Old 01-14-15, 06:32 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I am not familiar with FL auctions, but in some states they are not open to the public. You have to be in the auto business to even get in.

If you can get in, a few cautions. Typically you cannot drive the car, and even visual inspection may be limited. Also be aware that if a new car dealer takes a car in trade, they only keep the premium ones. Cars with problems go straight to auction. So if you see a 2013 LS with low miles at an auction, something is probably wrong with it. Also, since they don't know you, bring cash and be prepared to get it off their property that same day.
All of the CPO LS cars from the Lexus dealers I went looking was bought by the dealership though auction. In-fact there was a car that was traded in which was originally bought from the dealership that went to auction and then back to the dealership.
The only cars that I test drove that didn't go to auction were those that were trades to non Lexus dealers and they were not CPOs.
The car I bought came from a dealership that buys cars from auctions and sells them at a reduced cost to the customer. I was much better served with a much lower priced, lower mileage and earlier year car that was in much better condition then what the dealer offered.
Old 01-14-15, 07:08 PM
Nospinzone

Good point Devh. I was focused on cars that a Lexus dealer sends to auction. Many other premium car dealers may not want or need a Lexus on their lot and send the car out.
Old 01-14-15, 07:24 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
How funny is this.. my buddy was at the auction almost the exact time this thread was started... here's the pic he sent...
Ha: Haven't heard anything called a "4x2" since dealers were trying to confuse punters with rear wheel drive pickup trucks in the 1970s!
Old 01-14-15, 08:10 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Good point Devh. I was focused on cars that a Lexus dealer sends to auction. Many other premium car dealers may not want or need a Lexus on their lot and send the car out.
I would have thought the same thing but when I seen the same car traded back by the dealership having auction history only to be bought back by the dealership aroused my attention.
I did a brief search and although what I read was hearsay it appears that financed as well as leased cars are owned by a holding company that sends them to auction. The dealer then has to re-acquire the car though the auction process. I think the dealer knowing the car condition first hand before the auction gives them the advantage to bid more for a sure thing and that is why it ended up back to the original dealer.
It makes me wonder if some of the auctions is done through the computer rather then physically transported to an auction house.

Last edited by Devh; 01-14-15 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-15-15, 02:09 PM
jarm
Pit Crew

Does anyone know of a broker that could get me a 2013 LS at auction? Right now there are many being sold as lease trade ins.
Could you tell me the code for Mark Levinson System on the sale sicker?

Jarm

Last edited by CJITTY; 01-15-15 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-15-15, 03:57 PM
Nospinzone

Originally Posted by Devh
I would have thought the same thing but when I seen the same car traded back by the dealership having auction history only to be bought back by the dealership aroused my attention.
I did a brief search and although what I read was hearsay it appears that financed as well as leased cars are owned by a holding company that sends them to auction. The dealer then has to re-acquire the car though the auction process. I think the dealer knowing the car condition first hand before the auction gives them the advantage to bid more for a sure thing and that is why it ended up back to the original dealer.
It makes me wonder if some of the auctions is done through the computer rather then physically transported to an auction house.
At first what you had said about a dealer sending it to auction and then buying it at auction didn't make sense to me. However, now that you describe the process with a lease car, I can see how that happens. I never lease my cars so that never enters into my thinking.

Originally Posted by jarm
Could you tell me the code for Mark Levinson System on the sale sicker?

Jarm
Well in 2007 the code was MH, but I don't know if it is still the same.

Quick Reply: Lexus auction