LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Driving LS 460 in Comfort and ECT Power Mode All the Time

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-15, 05:17 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
You guys will flame me I am sure, but I'm totally convinced that both the ECT/COMFORT, HIGH AND LOW air shocks thing and SNOW or NO SNOW buttons are dummy buttons. Psychological only.
I beg to respectfully differ (and believe I've done so elsewhere). That had been my hypothesis - if you will, going into this to test the buttons, but since then, I've had plenty of evidence that there is more to them than just psychology. What I will say is that the "same" settings can feel quite differently across models.

In terms of the air suspension, on my LS460L, there was a very, very noticeable difference between Comfort and Sport. The difference was also noticeable between the middle setting and the extremes. Comfort feels like you are floating, and Sport may not turn it into a sports car (no pun intended), but it is definitely stiffer.

The different ECT settings were also noticeable: Snow significantly reduced throttle response, while PWR made the car a tad more responsive (not necessarily more powerful), the shifting crisper, and if you stepped on it enough for the tranny to downshift and then let go of the accelerator, the tranny would hold the lower gear (as if you had a manual). This last thing (holding of the gear) is the one common element I have found for PWR mode across non-CVT Lexus models.

As I was saying, the effect of these settings can be quite different across Lexus vehicles. On the LX, for instance, Snow mode doesn't quite affect throttle response. Rather, it just forces a 2nd-gear start (and in fact, it is labeled as such). PWR mode also causes the truck to be a bit more responsive, but nothing major.

Enter the 600... I have never driven a Lexus in which there is such a significant difference between Normal and PWR mode. The car is plenty powerful in Normal, but when I let it loose, it definitely feels a bit restrained. Put it on PWR, and not only does a serious beast get unleashed (like CJITTY pointed out) - it is definitely more powerful, but also, the throttle response is like night and day. I now know first-hand why the Sales Manager, who had been driving my car before it was sold to me, left it in "Hybrid PWR", which is where it was when I got it (and where it spends 80% of its time under the new ownership ).
Old 01-11-15, 05:40 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

You guys will flame me I am sure, but I'm totally convinced that both the ECT/COMFORT, HIGH AND LOW air shocks thing and SNOW or NO SNOW buttons are dummy buttons. Psychological only.
Yeah..get your flame suit on bro...clear differences for struts and transmission modes..my sport mode is very firm. Diff between comfort and normal isn't as significant but comfort mode rides more floaty like those older caddy's. My hybrid power mode is way more responsive than normal mode.
Old 01-13-15, 11:16 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

I also disagree with the dummy button statement. I dont drive with the ect/snow button on but do with the comfort and its at the point now where Im driving and and can feel the rougher difference and will look at the dash and see the lights off. Its usually my phone sitting there that shuts it off.
I will be trying the ect button now that you guys mention it though.
Old 01-13-15, 07:31 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Sorry I have respectfully disagree with you about your assessment, there is no placebo effect in play here. I can tell the difference between the 'SPORT' vs 'COMF' and the 'PWR/ECT' you can tell the difference more so than the A/S modes. The 'SNOW' mode IMO with RWD is a joke in actual snow, also you can tell the difference when the car is in 'HEIGHT HIGH' by the way it rides although it's use for a clearance the ride/feel is distinct.
Old 01-14-15, 08:32 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

I have a question for Tee about the High Height, but first I want to say:

I have a RWD L, and I notice a difference with all that stuff. I prefer to ride in the comfort mode, because it's a luxury car. If I want stiff ride, or want to hug the roads, I'll drive my RX-7.

I prefer the STD ECT mode for normal driving. Sometimes I'm in the mood for ECO because it being a V8, the sound of it grunting at low rpms sounds really nice, and maybe get a skosh of fuel savings out of that. Having a RWD, the most noticeable difference between my preferred STD ECT & PWR ECT is that when in PWR mode, it seems to want to shift down every little push of the throttle. Which is not a bad thing because it does make it want to GO. But it has plenty of power in STD mode with fewer downshifts due to throttle modulation.

Tee - Please describe what you have noticed with the ride when in the HIGH HEIGHT setting. Does it ride even softer while high? And when in Sport suspension mode, does it lower itself?

7milesout

Last edited by 7milesout; 01-14-15 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-14-15, 12:51 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i thought the car automatically lowered over 25MPH anyway even in Height High mode.
Old 01-14-15, 02:25 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 7milesout
I have a question for Tee about the High Height, but first I want to say:

I have a RWD L, and I notice a difference with all that stuff. I prefer to ride in the comfort mode, because it's a luxury car. If I want stiff ride, or want to hug the roads, I'll drive my RX-7.

I prefer the STD ECT mode for normal driving. Sometimes I'm in the mood for ECO because it being a V8, the sound of it grunting at low rpms sounds really nice, and maybe get a skosh of fuel savings out of that. Having a RWD, the most noticeable difference between my preferred STD ECT & PWR ECT is that when in PWR mode, it seems to want to shift down every little push of the throttle. Which is not a bad thing because it does make it want to GO. But it has plenty of power in STD mode with fewer downshifts due to throttle modulation.

7milesout
You have described my last post. The Power ECT does make a difference in the choice of gears like it's a nervous but doesn't improve the acceleration because there is already enough power to carrying it though the power band. I tried it both ways and the power mode sounds more aggressive but it's not faster or nice of a pull with keeping it in gear longer pushing you back into the seat.

If you calculate the difference between the AWD and the RWD power to weight ratio the difference is significant.
Old 01-14-15, 08:52 PM
baam
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I learn something new on this forum everytime I read it! Having owned my LS for just a couple months now, and driving it infrequently, I'm still not too familiar with all it's many attributes. After reading this thread I did try out the ECT PWR mode yesterday and I thought it made quite a difference in the way the car performs. I could really feel the big V-8 working especially at lower speeds. I wouldn't want to drive around in the PWR mode all the time but it was definately fun. I am looking forward to spring and warmer weather!

Last edited by baam; 01-14-15 at 08:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-15-15, 06:23 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a question for Tee about the High Height, but first I want to say: I have a RWD L, and I notice a difference with all that stuff. I prefer to ride in the comfort mode, because it's a luxury car. If I want stiff ride, or want to hug the roads, I'll drive my RX-7. I prefer the STD ECT mode for normal driving. Sometimes I'm in the mood for ECO because it being a V8, the sound of it grunting at low rpms sounds really nice, and maybe get a skosh of fuel savings out of that. Having a RWD, the most noticeable difference between my preferred STD ECT & PWR ECT is that when in PWR mode, it seems to want to shift down every little push of the throttle. Which is not a bad thing because it does make it want to GO. But it has plenty of power in STD mode with fewer downshifts due to throttle modulation. Tee - Please describe what you have noticed with the ride when in the HIGH HEIGHT setting. Does it ride even softer while high? And when in Sport suspension mode, does it lower itself? 7milesout
The HEIGHT HIGH mode is not meant for driving (ground clearance) but you feel less feedback from the road, you notice the car is sitting higher and it feels less stable to me. The car will not lower when using SPORT the ride becomes slightly firmer with less float.

Originally Posted by peteybabes
i thought the car automatically lowered over 25MPH anyway even in Height High mode.
The 460 will lower automatically after 60-65 mph (better aerodynamics) and will raise back up when speed drops to 40 mph or below.
Old 01-15-15, 07:28 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

thx for that Tee
Old 01-15-15, 07:40 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee
The HEIGHT HIGH mode is not meant for driving (ground clearance) but you feel less feedback from the road, you notice the car is sitting higher and it feels less stable to me. The car will not lower when using SPORT the ride becomes slightly firmer with less float.
The reason I asked that was to know if riding in HIGH HEIGHT maybe the ride was even softer in Comfort mode with it HIGH. Sounds like it may be a bit softer.

7milesout
Old 01-15-15, 07:43 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

The reason I asked that was to know if riding in HIGH HEIGHT maybe the ride was even softer in Comfort mode with it HIGH. Sounds like it may be a bit softer.

7milesout
definitely more soft and floaty, but it is so much more disconnected feeling from the road. Almost like the ls430 lol