LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Muffler Delete. Finally!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-16, 08:09 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

litesoarer - Does exhaust flow out the J-Pipe? Or is it plugged?
Old 06-23-16, 08:46 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 7milesout
litesoarer - Does exhaust flow out the J-Pipe? Or is it plugged?
. It is plugged
Old 06-27-16, 06:53 AM
steelers6
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ShahG
Hey Guys,

I considered cutouts at first, took it to my mechanic, said there was no room to put them.

I am aware a few members were successful with cutouts on the LS, not me.

I finally went with the muffler delete, and I can say I am very pleased. Sounds to good.

Here is a clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV2i-QP9HvE
Way to much noise for a luxury touring Lexus,i wouldnt ever do it,but if your happy thats all that matters...
Old 07-07-16, 10:03 PM
bluulexo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gotta say, anyone figure out how to get those exhaust cut outs looking shiny again? Sound menacing btw
Old 05-12-17, 11:43 AM
brent74
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jumped on the bandwagon

I got excited about the sound potential of these cars after listening to a few of these muffler delete sound clips. So I went with the muffler delete. Never did like how quiet Lexus makes 350+horses from a v8 sound anyway. Anyway did the delete and added straight pipes out of the back. The sound was so awesome but the drone was so intolerable. Drone was from 1500-2000 rpm, with peak right around 1700. So back to the exhaust shop to get a j-pipe placed. Used the helpful chart posted here. Went with 29" j-pipe. Could not be happier. Drone all gone. Nice deep tone. Not to loud in any condition for my ears, although I understand that is a purely subjective statement. Best way I can describe the volume from stock to muffler delete is in these two examples. First, With the stock exhaust, I could at slow speeds putting around the neighborhood, clearly hear the annoyingly loud fuel injectors. Now that injector noise is very muted, as exhaust volume has gone up. Second example, with the stock exhaust, when letting off the gas from let's say 40mph and coasting up to a red light, I would hear...well... not much of anything. Tire noise I guess. Now when performing that same coasting I can hear the exhaust note clearly go up and down with each downshift of the transmission. I would say this exhaust modification has added to my driving satisfaction of this car. Cost was 100 to cut off mufflers and put on straight pipes. Cost was 200 to fabricate and weld on j-pipes. Thanks to all of those who have commented on this modification, both for and against it.
The following users liked this post:
Santa01 (10-19-20)
Old 05-12-17, 11:56 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Video? Sound clip?
Old 05-12-17, 12:03 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brent74
I got excited about the sound potential of these cars after listening to a few of these muffler delete sound clips. So I went with the muffler delete. Never did like how quiet Lexus makes 350+horses from a v8 sound anyway. Anyway did the delete and added straight pipes out of the back. The sound was so awesome but the drone was so intolerable. Drone was from 1500-2000 rpm, with peak right around 1700. So back to the exhaust shop to get a j-pipe placed. Used the helpful chart posted here. Went with 29" j-pipe. Could not be happier. Drone all gone. Nice deep tone. Not to loud in any condition for my ears, although I understand that is a purely subjective statement. Best way I can describe the volume from stock to muffler delete is in these two examples. First, With the stock exhaust, I could at slow speeds putting around the neighborhood, clearly hear the annoyingly loud fuel injectors. Now that injector noise is very muted, as exhaust volume has gone up. Second example, with the stock exhaust, when letting off the gas from let's say 40mph and coasting up to a red light, I would hear...well... not much of anything. Tire noise I guess. Now when performing that same coasting I can hear the exhaust note clearly go up and down with each downshift of the transmission. I would say this exhaust modification has added to my driving satisfaction of this car. Cost was 100 to cut off mufflers and put on straight pipes. Cost was 200 to fabricate and weld on j-pipes. Thanks to all of those who have commented on this modification, both for and against it.
Instead of a J-pipe I had a 1 inlet/2 outlet muffler installed...thought it was pretty good.

i now drive a silent Tesla, but i still have an exhaust dump which can be used to go from quiet to loud quickly if anybody is interested (PM me)

Last edited by peteybabes; 05-12-17 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-12-17, 07:20 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by brent74
Cost was 100 to cut off mufflers and put on straight pipes. Cost was 200 to fabricate and weld on j-pipes. Thanks to all of those who have commented on this modification, both for and against it.
Well, I for one am happy for ya. I would like to hear yours (in person). Don't know where you live. But ... what's going to happen when you go to sell it and the buyer thinks it's too loud? Back to the shop, and more money. That's just how it is not a huge deal though. But a situation like that is why I set out to make a mod that was reversible. And i get all those same down shifting sounds with my mod. Not likely as loud as yours, I bet yours sounds sweet. I put my windows down a lot now just to hear it. I don't notice the fuel injector sounds, i don't know if it's due to the exhaust sound or poor hearing.

$120 shipped & reversible.

Jason Oliver
Old 05-17-17, 05:29 PM
brent74
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Reply

Hey all,
Yes I do think for most people looking for a bit more growl in the exhaust, the cutouts should work well. However I was shooting a bit higher to hopefully yield more sound than I believed the cutouts would provide. Yes I went too far and got drone, and paid the price both literally and figuratively for j pipes but it was a good experiment for me.

One thing I refused to do was play the cat back exhaust game. Didn't want to buy this system for X amount of dollars, and not like it. Same thing with mufflers. Didn't want to play that game of buying and trying all the different brands. Too costly, too time consuming. So for me the straight pipes and j pipes worked well.

Concerning resale, not too worried about that, but I did have the exhaust shop owner cut off mufflers in the best possible (read easiest) location to weld them back on if needed. So there the mufflers sit in the shed.

I"ll try and shoot some pics or video or something. As you can see from my posting status, I still have the training wheels on.

Brent
Santa01 (09-23-20)
Old 08-26-17, 08:09 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Just want to share a few pictures of hacked up/modified stock exhaust systems from Yahoo Japan. These must have some good HP gains as seen in ISF/GSF threads. I like the idea of losing the secondary cats but not sure about using the factory H pipe which is even moved forward in this set up.

This one also uses the factory down pipes with what looks like a 3" center section.

Another with no secondary's or resonator must be loud.

Old 08-26-17, 08:16 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Factory mid pip for reference

Old 08-27-17, 01:26 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

man that sounds amazing

Some cars just don't sound very well in their raw state , but these do

I drove a straight piped supercharged corvette for 2 years and drone never bothered me so I don't see how the 460 with all its sound proofing could be an issue

I think thius mod only wqorks when your car is modified visually to some degree (lowered, wheels, body kit etc...)

On a stock car it will look foolish
Old 08-27-17, 10:29 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Exhaust mods and intake mods for me has never been good Idea on a Lexus. All it does is make me drive more aggressive just so I can hear the sound all for a tiny bit of horsepower. I think the muted V8 Lexus is just enough for me to enjoy. If I want to hear some V8 muscle, I just shift manually and high rev & I need to turn the radio off
Santa01 (10-19-20)
Old 08-28-17, 07:34 AM
LR3vsLS
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I have been interested in more sound but not sure I want it permanent.
Old 08-28-17, 08:06 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Then you should read the links in my signature below. By what you say, it sounds like Exhaust Vents are right up your alley.

Jason Oliver

Quick Reply: LS460 Muffler Delete. Finally!