LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Just curious.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-15, 08:32 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts
Default Just curious.

Greetings. I've had my 08 LS460 just under 3 months. Love it. I've only put roughly 1100 miles on the car since I got it and 170 of that was the ride home from the dealership.

Now that it's colder, I'm noticing something and wanted to see if it was normal. My car is garaged. When I start it up and press on the gas, I get this high pitched whining sound. This goes on for maybe 5 or so minutes before it seems to go away.

Is this something due to the cold weather?

Thanks, Ron
Old 01-06-15, 08:34 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Loose belt?
Old 01-06-15, 08:36 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Loose belt?
It doesn't scream like a loose belt. When I press the gas, the engine has a whining sound to it for the 1st 5 or so minutes.
Old 01-06-15, 08:40 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Can be a dry bearing. Open the hood and see if you can find where the noise is coming from.
Inspect the belt as well to see of there are any obvious problems.

These motors are not as smooth or quiet as Ls 400 or ls430 motors. Direct injection is also a noise contributor.
Old 01-06-15, 11:43 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by R Z
Greetings. I've had my 08 LS460 just under 3 months. Love it. I've only put roughly 1100 miles on the car since I got it and 170 of that was the ride home from the dealership.

Now that it's colder, I'm noticing something and wanted to see if it was normal. My car is garaged. When I start it up and press on the gas, I get this high pitched whining sound. This goes on for maybe 5 or so minutes before it seems to go away.

Is this something due to the cold weather?

Thanks, Ron
Are you using AUX input most of the time by any chance? Going out on a huge limb here...

-Joe
Old 01-06-15, 12:07 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jamodeo
Are you using AUX input most of the time by any chance? Going out on a huge limb here...

-Joe
Hi. No I don't use the Aux input much. The sound only occurs when i first start the car on a cold morning. When I gun the engine there is a whiny sound that clears up within 5 or so minutes.
Old 01-06-15, 12:22 PM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by R Z
Hi. No I don't use the Aux input much. The sound only occurs when i first start the car on a cold morning. When I gun the engine there is a whiny sound that clears up within 5 or so minutes.
Ok, I was thinking maybe a ground loop isolation issue. I remember in my RX you could hear the whine while using the aftermarket iPod interface I had, and acceleration increased the pitch and volume of the whine. I have heard this phenomenon in other cars too with various input sources but looks like my idea was not a winner in this instance.

Is there any way for you to capture a video recording the sound?

-Joe
Old 01-06-15, 01:03 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by R Z
There are a few areas I would check.
1. Serpentine belt
2. Idle pulley bearings
3. Belt tensioner.

I place my bets on the tensioner allowing the belt to slip when it's cold. This is usually a telltale sign of a tensioner on it's way out. Belt tensioners can fail unpredictably on all cars, any car and that is just the nature of the part.
Depending on the age of the belt I would replace if you are going to change the tensioner.

Last edited by Devh; 01-07-15 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-07-15, 06:42 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i have never heard this in an LS460!

i have however heard this in my ls430 and in my dad's gs400 and it occurs right around 35-45 MPH...
Old 01-07-15, 06:55 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by peteybabes
i have never heard this in an LS460!

i have however heard this in my ls430 and in my dad's gs400 and it occurs right around 35-45 MPH...
Hmmmm. Well I may be heading to the dealership. Again, the car isn't driven much. It only started making the high pitch hum when it got colder. It only does it for the first 5 minutes of the ride when I press on the accelerator and then it's perfectly fine the rest of the trip.

I'm stumped.
Old 01-07-15, 09:02 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by R Z
Greetings. I've had my 08 LS460 just under 3 months. Love it. I've only put roughly 1100 miles on the car since I got it and 170 of that was the ride home from the dealership. Now that it's colder, I'm noticing something and wanted to see if it was normal. My car is garaged. When I start it up and press on the gas, I get this high pitched whining sound. This goes on for maybe 5 or so minutes before it seems to go away. Is this something due to the cold weather? Thanks, Ron
My money is on the Belt tensioner. My car would make that same noise every other month for a limited time then goes away but I don't drive my car a lot working from home so that may be one reason for not hearing more often. I was at the dealer recently and asked my tech to look into it and told me I need to replace the belt tensioner.
Old 01-07-15, 10:09 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I know the idler pulley was a recall on my 2007. Perhaps you should check if your car was recalled, and if so was the pulley replaced.
Old 01-07-15, 12:01 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I know the idler pulley was a recall on my 2007. Perhaps you should check if your car was recalled, and if so was the pulley replaced.
The only thing done was the valve springs. No other notes of Lexus recalls for the car. I would suspect if it needed it done, it would have been since the previous owner seemed to do it all.

Update: Today before driving the car (1st time in 2 days), I started it in the garage and let it warm for several minutes. No noise when pressing the accelerator to drive off.
Old 01-07-15, 12:17 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

You can check here to see if your car was part of the recall -

http://www.lambros.net/LexusTechInfo...SB-0164-08.pdf
Old 01-07-15, 01:08 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
You wouldn't happen to know if they replace the belt when they do that recall, would you?

Quick Reply: Just curious.