LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Control arms and bushings...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-14, 02:54 PM
marylandlp
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don460:
I'm in the process of ordering the front shocks for my 07-ls460l and read the service manual on the procedure for removing the strut. While it is not that complicated it is very laborious.I noticed that your thread stated that the removal of the strut was easily done by"....... unbolting the top and bottom and it comes out in one piece".Can the struts be removed that easily if you put the car on ramps,but don't remove any of the other suspension components?
Old 12-25-14, 04:27 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by marylandlp
Don460:
I'm in the process of ordering the front shocks for my 07-ls460l and read the service manual on the procedure for removing the strut. While it is not that complicated it is very laborious.I noticed that your thread stated that the removal of the strut was easily done by"....... unbolting the top and bottom and it comes out in one piece".Can the struts be removed that easily if you put the car on ramps,but don't remove any of the other suspension components?
For most all MAcPherson struts you cannot use ramps for two obvious reasons. The strut will be compressed and the tire will be In the way. You will certainly need jack stands. Most strut assemblies are generally supported with three to five bolts on top and usually two bolts on the bottom. You may have to remove other structures that is supported by a bracket to the strut like a brake line or brake sensor if equipped. It's generally easy.
If however you are replacing the struts cartridges as most people do then you will need a spring compressor. I would have this work done by a shop then using the cheap auto part compressors. If you are replacing the whole assembly as in the case of a whole air suspension unit then it should be a straight shot but you may need to connect the wiring and pneumatic hose to the strut when you are done.
Old 12-29-14, 06:50 AM
don460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marylandlp
Don460:
It's as the other person says, you can't do it on ramps, because of the tire and the suspension NOT being at it's full length.
Once that is taken care of, then it is my guess that you will have to disconnect the upper control arms to get the strut out. It's now about 3 weeks since I did the job and without the car up on the hoist, I'm going by memory. Good luck with the changeover.
Old 04-17-15, 03:01 PM
don460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by don460
Four weeks ago, I started buying the bushings and components for a total make over of the front suspension on my 07 LS 460 RWD without air suspension, mileage 120,000 miles.
Since I was going to do the job myself, I decided to try the components on Ebay. I bought the 4 upper control arms for $160. and since I couldn't find the lower arms, I bought the bushings for the lower control arms for about $200. All of these parts are from Taiwan. I see that the lower control arm is available now. I bought the 2 stabilizer bar links from the US @ $35 for the pair. In order to uninstall and install the bushings you need a hydraulic press, so I bought 1 for $120. The hydraulic pressing was a tough job. You need the right size steel to push the old bushing out and to install the new bushing. I was able to use sockets for that job. Other than the bushing work, the rest of the job is actually easy, however, you do need a rather unique ball joint/tie rod separator tool. For the shock, you don't need a spring compressor, you just unbolt the top and bottom and that comes out in one piece. Change bushings and install the new parts. When you install anything that works up and down with wheel travel, move the control arm up and down and estimate the middle of it's travel and do up the bolts with the control arm in that position. Your bushings will last longer by doing that. The stabilizer bar links were a bit of an issue, you need to hold the threaded part still while you do up the nuts. That can be done with allen keys, but let me tell you its better if you have the allen keys that you use with your socket wrench.
This was the first car I've done this to that didn't need a wheel alignment when the work was done. There is NO adjustment on any of those components you've just changed. The car runs straight, is quieter and a slight bit stiffer and I will be going on a 5000 mile trip shortly and I'll report how well the parts have worked. I would estimate that the job should take you about 5-6 hours and cost you less than $500. Taking the parts to a machine shop rather than buying your own hydraulic press would probably be a wash. I hope that helps someone.
UPDATE
I now have 6000 miles on the bushings and have had the car on the lift. There are no issues with the bushings, the car ran quiet, straight and smooth with no cracks in the rubber. While on my trip I decided to replace the summer tires. After getting the usual quotes for brand name tires in the $1100 range, I opted for for the Discount Tire Direct, Milestars. 235/50/18 for $340 delivered.
I have 3000 miles on them and they are quiet, smooth with no premature wear.
I did my homework and researched them on the web, I'm very happy with them.
Old 04-17-15, 05:12 PM
Dirteeboy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by don460
UPDATE
I now have 6000 miles on the bushings and have had the car on the lift. There are no issues with the bushings, the car ran quiet, straight and smooth with no cracks in the rubber. While on my trip I decided to replace the summer tires. After getting the usual quotes for brand name tires in the $1100 range, I opted for for the Discount Tire Direct, Milestars. 235/50/18 for $340 delivered.
I have 3000 miles on them and they are quiet, smooth with no premature wear.
I did my homework and researched them on the web, I'm very happy with them.
Thanks for the update don. Do you happen to remember the size of the socket used to push out and in the bushings? Just for future reference, lol.
Old 04-19-15, 03:53 PM
HondaChuck
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

How do you know if your bushings are bad? Can I see them without lifting the car? Do they make a sound or do you feel something? I have an 2007 LS with 73k miles. Is this inevitable for all LS owners or are some cars not showing this early wear?
Old 04-20-15, 06:11 AM
don460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HondaChuck
How do you know if your bushings are bad? Can I see them without lifting the car? Do they make a sound or do you feel something? I have an 2007 LS with 73k miles. Is this inevitable for all LS owners or are some cars not showing this early wear?
You can see the rubber part of the bushing and if that rubber has a tear in it, that means that the bushing has or is about to fail. The play in your suspension is from that rubber failing. If the rubber is really bad you may hear some metal to metal contact or squeaking.
You should be able to see those bushings with the tire and wheel off the car.
My 07 460 has almost twice the mileage that you have (129,000 miles). I'm an old guy and remember when a car with over 100,000 miles on it made the evening news. Is 73,000 miles "early wear"? I think it depends on what kind of roads you drive on.
I do know that my car drives like a new one now, and I mean that because I have wind noise from the front of the driver's door window. That little job is on the list for this week.
Old 04-20-15, 02:48 PM
HondaChuck
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks don. I listened carefully (window down, radio off) as drove through my parking garage today. Sharp turns and multiple speed bumps and heard no squeaks, pops, rattles, or metal sounds. I don't feel any play in the wheel. I have my Lexus serviced by the dealer and they found a leaking water pump last time I was there. I figure they would be on the lookout for any "additional business" too. I occasionally hear wind noise when there is a cross wind but I still relish how quiet the tires are compared the Honda's I have been driving that I just can't complain.
Old 04-20-15, 08:38 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by HondaChuck
Thanks don. I listened carefully (window down, radio off) as drove through my parking garage today. Sharp turns and multiple speed bumps and heard no squeaks, pops, rattles, or metal sounds. I don't feel any play in the wheel. I have my Lexus serviced by the dealer and they found a leaking water pump last time I was there. I figure they would be on the lookout for any "additional business" too. I occasionally hear wind noise when there is a cross wind but I still relish how quiet the tires are compared the Honda's I have been driving that I just can't complain.
Get under the car and check the bushings.
I bought an 08' 460 in May of 14 CPO from a Dealer in NJ. The rep shook my hand and said the car had a 161 point inspection, there's no need for you to check it out when I asked to put it on a lift.
I drove over the bridge in PA to another Lexus dealer, no issues during the drive, to have the car inspected only to be shown that all of the bushings needed to be replaced. It was under warranty but would have cost $4500 if it was not covered.
The car rides a bit tighter but not too different, you need to check with a flash light bushing by bushing.
Old 04-20-15, 09:48 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by BT3100
It was under warranty but would have cost $4500 if it was not covered.
The car rides a bit tighter but not too different, you need to check with a flash light bushing by bushing.
4500 dollars at the dealer, but to keep things in perspective, this repair can be had for less than a grand. Half that if it you DIY. And indy shop will charge about 500-750 dollars for labor. Parts are about 300-400. Not sure what a Toyota dealer would charge for labor, but likely a lot cheaper than Lexus.
Old 04-23-15, 05:00 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BT3100
Get under the car and check the bushings.
I bought an 08' 460 in May of 14 CPO from a Dealer in NJ. The rep shook my hand and said the car had a 161 point inspection, there's no need for you to check it out when I asked to put it on a lift.
I drove over the bridge in PA to another Lexus dealer, no issues during the drive, to have the car inspected only to be shown that all of the bushings needed to be replaced. It was under warranty but would have cost $4500 if it was not covered.
Smart move on ur part! And a ton of money saved as well. Why the Lexus dealership that lied to you about that bogus inspection especially with it being under warranty is very shady. This issue ($4500 issue, I may add) is an absolute shame and DEFINATELY below par given past LS's stellar reputation. Lexus needs to recall, or quietly do a good will gesture covering 100% of the cost for their control arms, water pumps and starters for those that have failed.

Last edited by Pamperme; 04-23-15 at 05:04 AM.
Old 04-23-15, 07:42 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Lexus needs to recall, or quietly do a good will gesture covering 100% of the cost for their control arms, water pumps and starters for those that have failed.

Why? I mean, I get that some here at CL feel that Lexus is above all, but at what point do you say, "parts wear out and this is the magic number of miles...."? So, based on your last sentence, how many miles do you feel they should last and hence, be covered at no cost?

I've replaced bushings on just about every car/SUV I've owned, including my Acura, My wifes BMW X5, my Mustang and a previous Jeep Grand Cherokee. Starters on my Acura, Mustang and Jeep, and Water pumps on my Acura BMW and Jeep as well as a few other vehicles I've had. Water pumps are designed to fail and weep when they are going bad, so that you get warned early and avoid a catastrophic failure (and subsequent engine damage). On average, a water pump will last 70k miles, so my replacement at 80k miles is above average and hardly an anomaly. I have not heard of many people with starters going bad here, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Old 04-23-15, 09:23 AM
Devh
Racer

Lexus should hand out lifetime warranties and have the whole staff of the dealership bow in apology every time your car has a problem. That is still not enough for some as we should also be compensated for pain and suffering with free stuff in the form of useless trinkets.

In all seriousness a six year warranty on water pumps and starters is an outstanding industry standard against manufacturing defects.

The only thing I think Lexus is failing at is the poor operations of the dealerships that carry their name. They need to do what Toyota does best and that is to reduced the parts prices to realistic levels and stop pushing extended warranties that go hand in hand with the scam.
Old 04-23-15, 09:57 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by roadfrog

Why? I mean, I get that some here at CL feel that Lexus is above all, but at what point do you say, "parts wear out and this is the magic number of miles...."? So, based on your last sentence, how many miles do you feel they should last and hence, be covered at no cost?

I've replaced bushings on just about every car/SUV I've owned, including my Acura, My wifes BMW X5, my Mustang and a previous Jeep Grand Cherokee. Starters on my Acura, Mustang and Jeep, and Water pumps on my Acura BMW and Jeep as well as a few other vehicles I've had. Water pumps are designed to fail and weep when they are going bad, so that you get warned early and avoid a catastrophic failure (and subsequent engine damage). On average, a water pump will last 70k miles, so my replacement at 80k miles is above average and hardly an anomaly. I have not heard of many people with starters going bad here, so that shouldn't be an issue.
The Lexus LS430 is a reliable car however it's expectations have transcended to legendary myth folklore. There are many examples of this littered everywhere and at the very least our starters may actually be easier to replace.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ng-repair.html
Old 04-23-15, 03:18 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog

Up ur expectation man. Com on! You're prospective is standing in the way of progress.

Quick Reply: Control arms and bushings...