LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Radio dimensions for LS 460 and LS 600

Old 11-19-14, 01:58 PM
jplaya517
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio dimensions for LS 460 and LS 600

I want to get a LS460 and I am looking at the future, wiring isn't my concerned I can get around the harnesses. can someone experienced that owns a LS take the radio console out and give me the dimensions. Height, width, and depth. If I like what I hear I am going to make the attempt installing a radio once I purchase the vehicle. I found a picture online of course for clarification for the part or area I need for the measurements.
Old 11-20-14, 08:42 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

You might want to think twice about messing with anything in the center console - they are all interlinked. The head unit and amp are designed to work with each other and the electronics are equalized and the speakers tuned to the LS460 interior. Proceed at your peril!
Old 11-20-14, 11:13 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

What he said

This isn't a 95 Honda Civic.
Old 11-20-14, 04:33 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Actually its easier than u think..... all you'd lose is cd/dvd/hard drive function. If your swapping the hu you'd get new amps too.... a standard double din will fit easily. Then get a video interface like an ml+ an feed video from the hu to the oem screen.... i have brainstormed this to the nth degree... the ONLY redeeming factor is the ML's 7.1dts...that's it!!! so dont be surprised if in the next 12mths you dont see a build from me on this...

As long as u trust the installer to make an oem or super clean finish trim panel i say go for it.. an post plenty of pics... feel free to pm me if need be..
Old 11-20-14, 04:37 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

If you are goin to do it dont waste the money on the ml get the premium system it will be far easier to get video into the oem screen
Old 11-20-14, 04:49 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Unhappy

Installing another radio? ML is the best there is.
Old 11-21-14, 07:16 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
Installing another radio? ML is the best there is.
Yep.....I don't get it. However, some folks just feel the need to.
Old 11-21-14, 12:20 PM
GXAlan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Yep.....I don't get it. However, some folks just feel the need to.
Well you can always make it BETTER but I think the sweet spot is using the factory HU with something like the JBL MS-8
Old 11-21-14, 06:05 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

ML is the best "factory" stereo available imho..unfortunately where oem ends the aftermarket begins.

By the way i unplugged the dvd changer-tuner from the nav screen today... an ALL functions still worked except audio.. (nav, a/c, b/u cam, info)... so i say go for it..
Old 11-24-14, 11:50 AM
jplaya517
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Shibumi1 I guess I have to make the car purchase first, so I should get one with the high end audio. Glad you said that. I would have thought low end. Glad to know that all the other functions works with out the factory radio. I do custom radios in most vehicles I get. I had a m45 and went custom on that also. I can't wait till the summer time to come back here with the pics, and you right the hard part would be the custom kit or fascia I need to make.
Old 11-24-14, 04:59 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jplaya517
Thanks Shibumi1 I guess I have to make the car purchase first, so I should get one with the high end audio. Glad you said that. I would have thought low end. Glad to know that all the other functions works with out the factory radio. I do custom radios in most vehicles I get. I had a m45 and went custom on that also. I can't wait till the summer time to come back here with the pics, and you right the hard part would be the custom kit or fascia I need to make.
You can get the low end unit if u prefer...but then u have to add a b/u cam an do alot more fab work to the dash...if u get the basic nav pkg u get to use the oem screen as well as the dbl din headunit.. chk the vaistech an prestigious society sites to see compatibility options.. but the radio u showed in the pic is ML. That would be a waste of $$$$ if u plan on removing it anyway. .
Old 11-25-14, 07:05 PM
GXAlan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
You can get the low end unit if u prefer...but then u have to add a b/u cam an do alot more fab work to the dash...if u get the basic nav pkg u get to use the oem screen as well as the dbl din headunit.. chk the vaistech an prestigious society sites to see compatibility options.. but the radio u showed in the pic is ML. That would be a waste of $$$$ if u plan on removing it anyway. .
And I still think that JBL MS-8 + sub will be pretty solid. If you're going competition, you can use the factory mount points to replace the drivers with higher-end stuff like http://www.focal.com/en/46-utopia-be...erspeaker-kits.

Biggest weakness is that the factory Lexus setup only supports MP3s / CDs / analog audio.

The best factory setup right now from the HU standpoint is the current-gen BMW. It'll play high-resolution FLAC off NTFS usb drives =)
Old 11-27-14, 02:31 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GXAlan
And I still think that JBL MS-8 + sub will be pretty solid. If you're going competition, you can use the factory mount points to replace the drivers with higher-end stuff like http://www.focal.com/en/46-utopia-be...erspeaker-kits.

Biggest weakness is that the factory Lexus setup only supports MP3s / CDs / analog audio.

The best factory setup right now from the HU standpoint is the current-gen BMW. It'll play high-resolution FLAC off NTFS usb drives =)
The MS 8 is more trouble than its worth.. but i wish u luck
Old 11-27-14, 03:41 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I would try and tap into the hardware so I can get a digital stream if it is possible and then have an external DAC do the rest including the digital crossovers/equalization. This would then be fed into a five Macintosh Amps where I would have them bi-amped. Last but not least I would get it tuned and only then it will be a worthy upgrade to the ML.
If a digital stream was not possible then I would start from scratch and go Alpine F1 or Soundstream.
Old 11-27-14, 04:53 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

A vaistech ML+ will do the trick...but it's been discontinued in leu of the ivic junk ( junk bcuz i dont have self parking an cant use it... hint hint vaistech) i recently bought a media player an I'm in line at BB now hard drive in hand..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radio dimensions for LS 460 and LS 600