LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Will my car tell me when to change oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-14, 12:02 PM
LANewsboy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will my car tell me when to change oil?

Hey guys...

've had my 2012 CPO for 8 months or so and wonder if the car's computer will tell me when to change the synthetic oil.

I assume the oil was fresh at 35,500 when i bought the car, and I now have 41,000 miles on it.

My only concern about the car telling me is that there is nothing entered under "oil" or "filter" when I check "mantenence" on the screen. Does the car "know" independent of what's entered in its memory?

Also, any thoughts on the interval? I've found everything here from 7,000 to 15,000 miles.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 11-17-14, 12:12 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it normally has a warning on the message screen in the middle of the cluster, and has reminded me every 5K miles, (even though i waited about 7-8K for my last change).

with full synthetic you should be fine for 7K or so.
Old 11-17-14, 02:47 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

I don't know if there have been changes for the 2012 models, but my 2007 displays an oil maintenance advisory every 5000 miles.

Since you are under CPO warranty, I would stick to whatever is recommended in your manual.
Old 11-17-14, 07:07 PM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dealer told me my 2014 LS460 L Awd should be changed at 5k then 10k and every 10k after that.

Doesn't the dealer set the oil change warning light interval?
Old 11-18-14, 12:03 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Dealer can and should set that up in the system, but you can check and see if they did in maintenance screen, and then you can set the reminder yourself...

i have a sticker on the windshield that says 5000 miles from my last change, but i won't be likely following that to strictly.
Old 11-18-14, 01:10 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I've been going 5k on Mobil 1 5w20 synthetic, but I just did an oil change and used 0w20 synthetic from carquest. I think I'm going to try the toyota 0w20 because a few members around here rave about it.
Old 11-24-14, 11:46 AM
LANewsboy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, guys, as always for the help. This site has made owning my 430 and my 460 much much easier.
Old 11-24-14, 12:33 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I feel like the car has two oil change reminders. One that is hardwired into the dash integration and another that is set up in the maintenance reminders which a useful tool.

If you do you your own maintenance or have it done elsewhere you can go onto the Lexus Drivers webpage and access your service history. You can then add to the service history as an owner the work performed with the date and millage.
I think this is brilliant as it can give the dealer a good idea of the work you performed so they don't have to remind you needlessly. It is also a great way to sell your car to future prospective buyers.
Old 11-25-14, 07:43 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
I feel like the car has two oil change reminders. One that is hardwired into the dash integration and another that is set up in the maintenance reminders which a useful tool.
Mine only has the one in the maintenance reminders of the Nav Screen. It seems that depending on your options, the dash one doesn't exist. As it says in my owners manual when referencing the dash reminder, "if equipped". It seems my LS is not "equipped". I tried resetting according to the manual and it didn't work.

What has never been fully clarified to me, is whether the dash version of the minder is also an oil condition monitor. Even my 2002 Acura has that, as does both BMW's we own(ed).
Old 11-25-14, 08:44 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Mine only has the one in the maintenance reminders of the Nav Screen. It seems that depending on your options, the dash one doesn't exist. As it says in my owners manual when referencing the dash reminder, "if equipped". It seems my LS is not "equipped". I tried resetting according to the manual and it didn't work.

What has never been fully clarified to me, is whether the dash version of the minder is also an oil condition monitor. Even my 2002 Acura has that, as does both BMW's we own(ed).
It could be that since you have the ML it handles it different. I literally get a warning on the dash that needs to be reset by holding down button sequence.

I thought that the second reminder on the NAV/Maintenance info would also reset but it appears that both reminders do not communicate with each other because the other one came on two weeks later based on when I had it reset last. I imagine the reason why my car has the dash version is because they do sell a base version of the car without a NAV unit which they can add or subtract that option at a later time after the car is built.

As far a I know the LS does not have any kind of oil monitoring sensor like the BMWs that calculate oil level and oil condition. As you know that sensor goes bad and it only adds to the expense and the constant annoying charismas tree light up on the dash. Toyotas are low tech and I would rather have a well laid out reminder system then the complexity of a Space Shuttle.
Old 11-25-14, 03:50 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

It could be that since you have the ML it handles it different. I literally get a warning on the dash that needs to be reset by holding down button sequence.

I thought that the second reminder on the NAV/Maintenance info would also reset but it appears that both reminders do not communicate with each other because the other one came on two weeks later based on when I had it reset last. I imagine the reason why my car has the dash version is because they do sell a base version of the car without a NAV unit which they can add or subtract that option at a later time after the car is built.

As far a I know the LS does not have any kind of oil monitoring sensor like the BMWs that calculate oil level and oil condition. As you know that sensor goes bad and it only adds to the expense and the constant annoying charismas tree light up on the dash. Toyotas are low tech and I would rather have a well laid out reminder system then the complexity of a Space Shuttle.
I absolutely love that reminder system built into the maintenance section on the navigation screen, I use it all the time. Whenever I perform any maintenance I update those settings...coolant, transmission fluid, etc. You are correct, the warning system on the dash does not communicate with the nav screen, which took me a little while to get used to, but after resetting the oil change warning light a few times, it's no big deal. Compared to resetting an oil change reminder light on a honda crv the lexus is a breeze.
Old 11-25-14, 08:24 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I absolutely love that reminder system built into the maintenance section on the navigation screen, I use it all the time. Whenever I perform any maintenance I update those settings...coolant, transmission fluid, etc. You are correct, the warning system on the dash does not communicate with the nav screen, which took me a little while to get used to, but after resetting the oil change warning light a few times, it's no big deal. Compared to resetting an oil change reminder light on a honda crv the lexus is a breeze.
The Honda isn't too bad but the BMW is like a combo button on a game controller.
The Lexus UI is not bad and I like the fact that you can customize the reminder settings.
Old 11-26-14, 09:27 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

The Honda isn't too bad but the BMW is like a combo button on a game controller.
The Lexus UI is not bad and I like the fact that you can customize the reminder settings.
How do you customize them?