LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Possible 2014 Purchase Questions…..

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-14, 03:43 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Possible 2014 Purchase Questions…..

I stopped by and saw my dealer today to see if they had a RC just for grins. As a little background, I'm a HUGE car nut. We currently have a 2014 GS50 Luxury that is my wife's car, and I have four months left on a lease on a BMW 550.

I plan to buy my next car, and I"m one of those people who am ALWAYS looking for my next car. As I walked through the showroom I noticed a 2014 silver LS460 and asked why he still had a 2014. He said the 15's aren't out. I kiddingly asked if he's giving great deals. I have known the Sales Manager of the dealer (who now is at a sister Mercedes dealer) and this particular salesman did a great job delivering my GS.

Anyway, he told me he just sold one for $7700 off MSRP, so I asked if he could go $10,000 off. He went and saw the sales manager and came back and told me he sure he can. Doing a little homework, I think that is very doable. Any thoughts on recent pricing? This is a non ML car that lists for $77,000.

Second question, I've done some homework and it appears the base car does not have an adjustable suspension. Can anyone confirm? Is the only way to get it the F-Sport package? It might really make a difference, and I"m not interested in spending F-Sport money.

Thanks for any input, and any other feedback on the car. While I typically like more of a sports sedan, the reality is that I mostly use the car for commuting into town in Houston rush hour traffic. I don't want something too mushy, but it doesn't have to be hard core. I have some very interesting motorcycles for that!
Old 11-14-14, 03:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Well hello there fellow 4GS forum mate

I too am kicking around the same thing LOL. I mean, if you can buy that car for $67k thats a ton of car for that money IMHO. I would be hard pressed not to do it.

No adjustable suspension on the base car. You can get AVS on the non F Sport LS, its just in higher optioned cars. You're going to like the way the car rides without the AVS. Even in the GS, I never saw much ride difference in "Normal" mode vs the standard suspension on the GS Premium, the real difference comes when you put it in Sport + and the suspension tightens up. I too would prefer to have the AVS if only because I have it now in the GS, but the reality is cars with AVS are going to be closer to $84k or so.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-14-14 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-14-14, 04:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

can't comment much on cars. i know they do have quite some leftover 14 they have to get rid of, and i think 10k off is a pretty respectable number

when you say adjustable suspension, do you mean adjustable shocks or air suspension? not 100% but i thought all ls460 at least comes with adaptive suspension (adjustable shocks). but only higher trim levels have air suspension. you don't need f sport to have air suspension though, you can have it separately (but higher level trims)

i have to say though, the f sport is quite a nice car. it can get quite comfortable in comfort mode, but in s+ mode, it gets more responsive
Old 11-14-14, 04:54 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Well hello there fellow 4GS forum mate

I too am kicking around the same thing LOL. I mean, if you can buy that car for $67k thats a ton of car for that money IMHO. I would be hard pressed not to do it.

No adjustable suspension on the base car. You can get AVS on the non F Sport LS, its just in higher optioned cars. You're going to like the way the car rides without the AVS. Even in the GS, I never saw much ride difference in "Normal" mode vs the standard suspension on the GS Premium, the real difference comes when you put it in Sport + and the suspension tightens up. I too would prefer to have the AVS if only because I have it now in the GS, but the reality is cars with AVS are going to be closer to $84k or so.
Thanks. I respect your opinion based on our time on the GS forum.

Originally Posted by rominl
can't comment much on cars. i know they do have quite some leftover 14 they have to get rid of, and i think 10k off is a pretty respectable number

when you say adjustable suspension, do you mean adjustable shocks or air suspension? not 100% but i thought all ls460 at least comes with adaptive suspension (adjustable shocks). but only higher trim levels have air suspension. you don't need f sport to have air suspension though, you can have it separately (but higher level trims)

i have to say though, the f sport is quite a nice car. it can get quite comfortable in comfort mode, but in s+ mode, it gets more responsive
That's why I'm asking, the website does not indicate adjustable suspension unless you get the air, which is an option. My GS has adjustable shocks as part of the Luxury package. The F is more than I will pay, and there aren't any in Houston anyway as far as I can tell.

BTW, I'm looking at a lot of cars, but the Audi A7 or A6 has been a top contender. I don't need a car for four more months, but for a great deal I'd go ahead and buy it. The 2014s are probably the only way I'd get a good enough deal on a LS.
Old 11-14-14, 05:31 PM
greekguy66
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ML Sound System is something that will spoil anyone, in my opinion.

If it was me about to spend $70k+ it would be a must. Check out a car that has ML and then listen to one without. In the end, each person will have to decide what options are a priority to him or her that is a must or not, especially if you plan on buying it to keep.
Old 11-14-14, 06:21 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by greekguy66

If it was me about to spend $70k+ it would be a must. Check out a car that has ML and then listen to one without. In the end, each person will have to decide what options are a priority to him or her that is a must or not, especially if you plan on buying it to keep.
This is a non ML car
Would IMMEDIATELY be stricken from my list. It's THAT good. I know everyone sees these things differently, but I just can't imagine life in my LS without the Mark Levinson system.
Old 11-14-14, 06:21 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by greekguy66

I have ML in our GS. Honestly, it is not as good as the Premium system in my BMW. My dealer does have one of each, but the ML is not a color I like so I'll have to do a search. But to your point, I will listen to both. I'm glad to hear your opinion.
Old 11-14-14, 07:01 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

The ML system BLOWS AWAY the premium Harmon Kardon system I had on my 7 series. But everyone's ears are different. Plus, the GS model's ML is not the same as in the LS.
Old 11-14-14, 07:15 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

As much as I like my LS460 I cannot deny certain truths and that is the BMW 550 is a better drive in regard to the sportiness of the car in general. The handling and the responsiveness of the engine and transmission of the BMW is quick. I have driven one 540 two 550s and they are simply great drivers cars but I wouldn't own them out of warranty because they are a rolling liability.
The LS doesn't have any of that and you may find it disappointing because the transmission shifts are much slower. There is power but you don't feel it like you do with the 550. The LS460 is a lot more laid back but in return the quality of the build is better and so is the reliability of the car in general. Also it's a much more comfortable ride and the furthest away from a sports sedan.
I say test dive one and find out for yourself before you even entertain pricing.
Old 11-14-14, 08:06 PM
greekguy66
Driver

For me it is not a matter of what is the better ride, but what kind of ride I best prefer.

There are pros and cons to all cars. This BMW may do that better than the Lexus that is cooler than that Benz but the Cadillac may have the better wipers, yet the insurance is cheapest on the Ford Fiesta.
Old 11-14-14, 09:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The problem to me is cost of these options. Sure I'd like to have ML, I'd like to have AVS, but buying new it makes a car that can be had for $67k all of a sudden $74k after a $10k MSRP reduction. The LS nowadays is already more than I want to spend, so when I do wind up in one it's going to be pretty base.

I'd just make sure I never heard the ML lol
Old 11-15-14, 04:14 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I do NOT have the ML system in my car and let me be the first to tell you the system sucks. I have a honda Accord that sounds better. I don't know why it sounds so bad...weather it be just the size of the interior...the power output...the speakers, but whatever it is, it sounds pretty bad. Try to imagine an economy car, it sounds like that.
Old 11-15-14, 04:42 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by Devh
As much as I like my LS460 I cannot deny certain truths and that is the BMW 550 is a better drive in regard to the sportiness of the car in general. The handling and the responsiveness of the engine and transmission of the BMW is quick. I have driven one 540 two 550s and they are simply great drivers cars but I wouldn't own them out of warranty because they are a rolling liability.
The LS doesn't have any of that and you may find it disappointing because the transmission shifts are much slower. There is power but you don't feel it like you do with the 550. The LS460 is a lot more laid back but in return the quality of the build is better and so is the reliability of the car in general. Also it's a much more comfortable ride and the furthest away from a sports sedan.
I say test dive one and find out for yourself before you even entertain pricing.
The 550 has a lot of positives, but some pretty damn annoying negatives. The run flat tires kill the ride on many types of roads. And the throttle tip-in and the fact it starts in second gear and often drops to first if you go past a certain throttle opening giving you another pop of acceleration that is abrupt. The car is a total pain in the *** to drive in low speed stop-and-go traffic, which is my daily commute. When I drive my wife's GS the smoothness and refinement of the car is immediately noticeable. Heck, our GS has a far better suspension in terms of both ride and handling than my 550.
Old 11-15-14, 06:26 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I'd just make sure I never heard the ML lol
LOL! Indeed.

I spend enough time in my car that car that the stereo is very important for my commute and making me happy. To me, not having the ML is like having a nice media room but mounting a 60 inch Black and White TV. I can do without the Self-Park, auto hold and a few other things, but NOT the ML.
Old 11-15-14, 08:17 AM
greekguy66
Driver

Well the other option to buying brand new with limited options is to buy a slightly used 2013 with low mileage and more options.

Quick Reply: Possible 2014 Purchase Questions…..