LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

I might be taking my car to the spa!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-14, 08:19 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I might be taking my car to the spa!

what do you all think of the special?

sounds like about $100 savings over the usual charge
Attached Thumbnails I might be taking my car to the spa!-spa-coupon.jpg  
Old 10-30-14, 08:22 AM
escapedcon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a good deal to me. do it!
Old 10-30-14, 08:36 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

I'm setting up the appointment now!

i'm glad they will be using the clay bar my car needs it!
Old 10-30-14, 08:53 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I would take that $200 and invest it here.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...dom+orbital.do
For $200 you will have a detailer that will use inferior polish on a wool pad that is contaminated. They will also use a rotary polisher that can thin out the paint and depending on their skill level with the inferior product they use can cause holograms. A rotary polisher in the right hands with a guy in a lab coat who uses a paint gauging device can do wonders. You can sometimes find these people on Craigslist as mobile detailers and can question them on their technique.

The interior products these cheap detailers use are a concoction of cheap chemicals that are made to be aggressive so they don't spend a lot of time cleaning your car the right way and will ruin your interior with subsequent cleanings.
If you feel comfortable giving your car over to them that's fine, but personally will let my car sit dirty then have them touch it.
Old 10-30-14, 09:03 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Devh
...If you feel comfortable giving your car over to them that's fine, but personally will let my car sit dirty then have them touch it...
Actually Devh, I will trust my local dealer as they are fantastic, and have done wonders with their clay bar details on my brothers 2010 GS350.

I know for a fact that the exterior detail is an independent contractor that has to be booked sometimes weeks in advance that travels between the 2 Germain Lexus dealerships here in Columbus OH. I also know that the exterior detail is a 4-hour process by itself.

so no, i'm not scared!
Old 10-30-14, 09:08 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by peteybabes
Actually Devh, I will trust my local dealer as they are fantastic, and have done wonders with their clay bar details on my brothers 2010 GS350.

I know for a fact that the exterior detail is an independent contractor that has to be booked sometimes weeks in advance that travels between the 2 Germain Lexus dealerships here in Columbus OH. I also know that the exterior detail is a 4-hour process by itself.

so no, i'm not scared!
The detail in your first post is the same four hour detail on the exterior alone?
Old 10-30-14, 09:13 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

correct.

this is basically the exterior detail (normally $149) and the interior detail (also $149) bundled together in a "winter special" of sorts.

i believe that last years special was like 15% off so this seems a much nicer deal.
Old 10-30-14, 09:28 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Normally I would be suspect at such a low price. However, if you know who is doing it, how they do it, and have previous experience like your brother's experience, then I say that is a great deal.

I would ask what polish they use, what wax, and what they use on the leather (Zach McGovern has a lot of good info in the Automotive Care & Detailing Forum). You might also consider seeing if they will substitute a good paint sealant for the wax even if you have to pay a little more, it will last much longer, particularly through winter.
Old 10-30-14, 09:37 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Normally I would be suspect at such a low price. However, if you know who is doing it, how they do it, and have previous experience like your brother's experience, then I say that is a great deal.

I would ask what polish they use, what wax, and what they use on the leather (Zach McGovern has a lot of good info in the Automotive Care & Detailing Forum). You might also consider seeing if they will substitute a good paint sealant for the wax even if you have to pay a little more, it will last much longer, particularly through winter.
This will sort of be something to "hold me over" through the winter as i plan on getting the paint correction, bumper re-spray (and plug license plate holes) and a few other minor mods done by another body shop next year.

at that point i hope to add the 2010+ mirrors with blinkers, an electric remote controlled retractable license plate for the front, and a large LED strip installed above my license plate, etc... Hopefully more on this in a few months!
Old 10-30-14, 09:37 AM
Devh
Racer

correct.

this is basically the exterior detail (normally $149) and the interior detail (also $149) bundled together in a "winter special" of sorts.

i believe that last years special was like 15% off so this seems a much nicer deal.
That's very cheap and if true too good of a deal. Makes me wonder if they make any profit at all.
If you could bring your own interior detailing products for them to use it might be to your advantage.
Old 10-30-14, 09:48 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Devh
That's very cheap and if true too good of a deal. Makes me wonder if they make any profit at all.
If you could bring your own interior detailing products for them to use it might be to your advantage.
what i'll do is combine this and Nospinzone's idea when they email me back, and ask them what products they plan on using on both the exterior and interior of the car. if they are using good stuff it should be no problem for them to reply with what they will be using, but if i get a vague answer i'll stay away.
Old 10-30-14, 11:11 AM
Devh
Racer

what i'll do is combine this and Nospinzone's idea when they email me back, and ask them what products they plan on using on both the exterior and interior of the car. if they are using good stuff it should be no problem for them to reply with what they will be using, but if i get a vague answer i'll stay away.
That sounds like something I would do. Sounds like a good plan of action.
Old 10-30-14, 12:59 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

i couldn't get an email back from Lexus today, but I conveniently have the service managers cell phone.

i sent a text and he came back with: "Most all of our products are Jax Wax products". He went on so say that the exterior detail is all in house now and not contracted out.
Old 10-30-14, 01:31 PM
charlesatl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my two cents...I have only owned by Lexus for a little over a month but thanks to the detailing forum on this website I have learned a lot. You can browse there and buy some excellent products very cheaply as I have added more paint sealant and wax. Many products are fantastic and can be applied and removed by hand. If I were to get a detail I may use a mobile dealer so he would be in my driveway and I could watch him. Plus he would have to use all my products.
Old 10-30-14, 06:46 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Check out autogeek

Check out autogeek.com for good detailing tips and tricks. For $200 your not getting much. The consumables on detailing supplies is expensive & very labor intensive to properly maintain a vehicle. I usually put in two solid 10 hour days on a car when I first start to get it looking its best. Then I'm very careful on proper washing to make sure I don't infuse any swirl marks.

You have to look at it from a business standpoint. The detailer is most likely using cheap products and will try to fit two or three cars in a day.

If you want the job done right do it yourself. Do some research and get your hands dirty. You will most likely end up with a better outcome as you can put in the time required vs a professional who is looking to move onto the next vehicle.

Quick Reply: I might be taking my car to the spa!