LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New Akebono brakes and wow what a difference!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-14, 07:01 PM
cregeis
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lex460l
really??????? i always thought the hype around these pads were less dust
I just had my car washed yesterday and drove approximately 200 highway miles today and I just wiped my finger on the wheel and you can definitely see the dust build up. Not significantly worse than the OEM pads but definitely not better. Just my opinion.
Old 12-10-14, 05:50 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
Same here. If there is more dust then the OEM then I will choose something else.
From my experience and others the brake dust is definitely less build up than OEM.
Old 11-16-15, 02:46 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Joined the club today. Did all 4 with new pads and rotors. Took a couple hours but I took my time. Very very easy job. Between this and 4 new tires I am ready for an upcoming road trip.
Old 11-16-15, 03:41 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 311 Posts

greg3852

What rotors did you go with? Please post a link if you can. Also what LS do you have?

Thanks

Dennis
Old 11-16-15, 05:20 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by cregeis
Quick update now that I have had the new pads for several weeks. The pads are every bit as good as the OEM pads. The brakes are much more linear and they are no longer grabby. The only drawback is they do put out more brake dust than the OEM pads in my opinion. I would still highly recommend them.
I'd have to agree with you, I've had my pads on for 15k miles now and they do create as much dust - if not more - than my factory pads. But I like them, they are not as grabby as factory and I hear they wear a little better than factory. Performance is the same, but I am kind of shocked about the dust...thought it'd be a huge improvement....ended up being worse. No big deal, I clean my rims a lot anyway.
Old 11-16-15, 05:23 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
Joined the club today. Did all 4 with new pads and rotors. Took a couple hours but I took my time. Very very easy job. Between this and 4 new tires I am ready for an upcoming road trip.
Nice! It is an easy brake job.
Old 11-16-15, 06:47 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
greg3852

What rotors did you go with? Please post a link if you can. Also what LS do you have?

Thanks

Dennis
My sig didn't show up for some reason, but I have a 2007 SWB 460. I ended up going with Ctek I believe. From everything I've read, they all come from China and go into white boxes where different stickers get put on. I think I paid like $35 a piece for them from Amazon shipped. Fronts are very heavy so I wouldnt want to pay for shipping. I bought the Akebono pads from Placeforbrakes. The way I looked at the rotors was there is no possible way they could be as bad as the already cut factory rotors I had. They were extremely wavy. I was shocked that they weren't cracked when i pulled them off.
Old 11-16-15, 11:15 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Aekbono on my IS & Napa something on the RX. Napa's produce much more brake dust than the Akebono. However we did get $40 refund for buying Napa rotors & ceramic brakes.
Old 11-17-15, 12:53 AM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

So...considering this thread- just WHAT pad will give better braking results AND less brake dust? I'm wondering if those "turned rotors" have too coarse a surface after turning vs new (the surface of) rotors...if they are turned correctly it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm looking for solutions for 2013+ F sport front and rear brakes that won't give me fits & dust galore...lol even pads AND rotors. I don't care, I just want the issue dealt with.

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 11-17-15 at 01:03 AM.
Old 11-17-15, 07:36 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Turning them removes metal. Thinner metal surface means its easier to warp. Thats why turning a rotor is never as good as buying a new one. Does it work? Yes, but you will end up with warped rotors that much faster.
Old 11-17-15, 08:03 AM
retlex
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, so I'll be doing the front brakes this weekend with Akebono Pro-Act pads with new Centric rotors. I was doing some research on the internet looking for the proper bedding procedure when I came across this article 'Proper breaking of Akebono pads'. I was hoping to get everyones thoughts on this. I thought bedding in new pads was necessary for proper wear and preventing premature warping of rotors??

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...f-Akebono-pads
Old 11-17-15, 09:45 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 311 Posts

Does anyone know what the proper model number is for the Centric rotors that will fit both front and rear on my 2010 LS 460L. I have looked on Amazon but have not been able to pin it down on which is the right rotors. I have the Akebono pads for both front and rear with new hardware kits and just need to get the new rotors.

Thanks

Dennis

Last edited by DJWLDW; 11-17-15 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-17-15, 10:38 AM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
Turning them removes metal. Thinner metal surface means its easier to warp. Thats why turning a rotor is never as good as buying a new one. Does it work? Yes, but you will end up with warped rotors that much faster.
Yes it does remove metal. A few decades ago, rotors were meant to be turned. In today's market, with everything having engineered obsolescence, brake rotors by and large are designed to be an expendable item- a throwaway. Enter increased profit margins.

And, not to open a can of worms, but what some call warped rotors aren't in fact warped in many cases, but have accumulated an uneven layer of brake pad on the rotor surface; usually the result of a panic stop, or setting the emergency brake when the rotors are hot. In these cases, a very light pass on the lathe will clean them up and true them again without removing much metal material.
Old 11-17-15, 01:56 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
Yes it does remove metal. A few decades ago, rotors were meant to be turned. In today's market, with everything having engineered obsolescence, brake rotors by and large are designed to be an expendable item- a throwaway. Enter increased profit margins.

And, not to open a can of worms, but what some call warped rotors aren't in fact warped in many cases, but have accumulated an uneven layer of brake pad on the rotor surface; usually the result of a panic stop, or setting the emergency brake when the rotors are hot. In these cases, a very light pass on the lathe will clean them up and true them again without removing much metal material.
From my own observations it's not that rotors need to be replaced. If don't have any pulsing from the brakes depending on the pads you can resurface the rotors and add another set of pads. Some people take a chance and just replace a set of pads without any ill effects although it's better to have them resurfaced so that they match the pads as they break in.

As long as you have enough meat on the rotors there is no reason why you need to replace them however in the most recent times the influx of cheap rotors coming from China makes replacing good rotors vs the cost of resurfacing them a lot more narrow to go through the trouble considering you don't have any down time.

Depending on the car I have found that you can go though two sets of pads before you need to change the rotors.

Regarding the so called warping. The pad material is not the direct source of the high spot. It's the chemical reaction that changes the metal hardness due to hot spots caused by uneven pad deposition which causes the high spots and it's not just pad material that is removed, It's primarily metal.

Last edited by Devh; 11-17-15 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-17-15, 02:18 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Agreed: warped rotors aren't in fact warped in many cases
I was given the same info from brake system manufacturers.

Quick Reply: New Akebono brakes and wow what a difference!