LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Your other car

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-14, 06:11 AM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Your other car

Being the flagship of the Lexus brand what other cars do you have? With a price tag of $80K+ new I know that some members on the board have another "fun" car. What else do you have?

I'll go first my daily driver has been a honda accord for the past 17 years. I also have a Nissan 300ZX twin turbo hence my screen name. I'm actively doing research on the LS 460 and GX 470. My wife really likes her current Jeep and I'm having a hard time convincing her that there are better cars out there. After a test drive in the 470 I think I convinced her that her next vehicle will be the 470. I'm looking at the LS460 as I already have the fun car for the weekend (unless I upgrade to something like the IS F). I'll admit that the ISF is more of a pipe dream as I'm in the mindset that I don't want to take out a loan on a vehicle. Never have on a car & never will. Cash only transactions.

What second fun cars do you have? Also include other toys! Boats, jet skies & plains.
Old 10-19-14, 06:51 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzinZ

... I'm in the mindset that I don't want to take out a loan on a vehicle. Never have on a car & never will. Cash only transactions.
What's your thinking here, if you don't mind my asking?
Old 10-19-14, 06:53 AM
GregoryNP
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing now but have had 2 SC430s and several C5 and C6 Corvettes.
Old 10-19-14, 07:09 AM
escapedcon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2011 Acura MDX Entertainment Pkg (wife's car) which is pretty much our daily driver and vacation car.
Old 10-19-14, 08:10 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

BMW X5
Acura el
88 Mustang GT convertible 5.0
Old 10-19-14, 08:11 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Smile

My daily work car is a 2001 Honda Accord with 230K miles. It's dependable, durable and faithful.
Old 10-19-14, 09:50 AM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by williakz
What's your thinking here, if you don't mind my asking?
I'm the type that thinks about finances a little different than most. If I can't afford it I don't buy it. The only thing I've taken a loan out on was my house & sport bike 7 years ago. I paid $250 in interest on the bike over the life of the loan. I'm now in a position in life that I don't have to worry about finances as much as when I started my career after college.

I'm looking at Lexus because of the proven reliability. I'll purchase a used one as I would rather someone else to take the depreciation hit. Between the cost savings of a used and paying cash I don't mind stepping up to a luxury car over the typical Honda've been using to commute. I'll most likely keep a beater car around as I'm not sure of where I'll end up landing with my (industry oil & gas). I'm split between corporate offices and field locations. Some positions have company vehicles others I have to drive my personal car out to the field trailer offices. I'm sure many on here would not take their luxury cars on 10 miles of dirt roads every day.
Old 10-19-14, 10:20 AM
escapedcon
Driver

I'm the type that thinks about finances a little different than most. If I can't afford it I don't buy it. The only thing I've taken a loan out on was my house & sport bike 7 years ago. I paid $250 in interest on the bike over the life of the loan. I'm now in a position in life that I don't have to worry about finances as much as when I started my career after college.

I'm looking at Lexus because of the proven reliability. I'll purchase a used one as I would rather someone else to take the depreciation hit. Between the cost savings of a used and paying cash I don't mind stepping up to a luxury car over the typical Honda've been using to commute. I'll most likely keep a beater car around as I'm not sure of where I'll end up landing with my (industry oil & gas). I'm split between corporate offices and field locations. Some positions have company vehicles others I have to drive my personal car out to the field trailer offices. I'm sure many on here would not take their luxury cars on 10 miles of dirt roads every day.
I pretty much have the same philosophy in life but sometimes tying up your money in a car when you can get a 0.9% or 1.9% APR rate is not worth it, imho (even 0% when/if buying new...though as you said I never do that either due to "walk off the lot" instant depreciation)

after all you can always pay it off at any point of the loan term if you decide to do so since you have the money available.

in any case, I commend you for thinking that way. too many people live beyond their means nowadays and get in big trouble for doing so.
Old 10-19-14, 11:33 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

C5 Corvette that I never drove (then sold). Dodge Ram pickup that I was planning on maybe putting a small lift into and some nice tires/rims (never did, sold it). A Honda Accord with 300k miles that I use during snow days (prior to that I drove it everyday...amazing car). And my wife has a Honda CRV (another amazing and trouble free vehicle).

The LS 460 is my daily driver and I put somewhere between 500-600 miles a week on it, I'm hoping for outstanding reliability (I've only owned it for 9 months...so far so good).
Old 10-19-14, 11:49 AM
bsimonds
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Four rear wheel drive V8s: '87 Corvette, '94 Chev. K5 Blazer, '08 Nissan Armada, and '10 LS460L. Each with its own unique advantages.
Old 10-19-14, 12:07 PM
leenammoz
Driver School Candidate

There are many car manufacturers to choose from, but I've always loved toyota and lexus particular, my current car is a Lexus lx 570, compare it and the other cars, you will see the difference
Old 10-19-14, 12:26 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by escapedcon
I pretty much have the same philosophy in life but sometimes tying up your money in a car when you can get a 0.9% or 1.9% APR rate is not worth it, imho (even 0% when/if buying new...though as you said I never do that either due to "walk off the lot" instant depreciation)

after all you can always pay it off at any point of the loan term if you decide to do so since you have the money available.

in any case, I commend you for thinking that way. too many people live beyond their means nowadays and get in big trouble for doing so.
I completely agree with you about not tying up so much money. I'm the type that keeps a vehicle and will drive it till the wheels fall off. My first honda I drove up till 155,000 miles I only got rid of it because my sister was getting rid of her accord and I upgraded to a new car with less miles for $500 out of pocket.

With my cars I like to just pay them off and keep them mechanically perfect. I Would rather not have any debt. The only person I want to pay is myself & that's for retirement.
Old 10-19-14, 01:09 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm the type that thinks about finances a little different than most.
I see that. Thanks for explaining your earlier statement. Food for thought is always appreciated.
Old 10-19-14, 04:12 PM
Tdvlexo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2009 Acura TL and 2002 LS430
Old 10-19-14, 05:17 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

• 2002 Widebody SC430
  • 2006 Final Konnexion GS300
  • 2004 Vertex RX330