LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Drove an S63 today...LS460 kicks it's butt

Old 10-08-14, 05:00 PM
escapedcon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove an S63 today...LS460 kicks it's butt

Well not literally because the S63 obviously is faster and more powerful

But other then that, honestly, I was not impressed. This car definitelly does not feel as good as it looks (one of the best looking vehicles ever, imo)

It's my mechanic's car and it's a fully loaded 2010. I also drove his SL55 which is a beast power wise but a totally different car.

Anyhow, back to the S63, it has all the bells and whistles imaginable but as a whole it felt rough around the edges and did not give me the plush quality feel that my LS does.
Now granted the Mercedes S63 is not an S550 but I think it's pretty close...kinda of like an S550 on steroids.

Some things I did not like...

The soft close on the doors do not work like ours...you need to latch the door for it to draw it closed. In the LS you just touch it close.
The doors also felt "loose" for a lack of a better word when pulled shut. The LS feels much more solid and sturdy. The S63 door does not have the same thump sound when shut closed, you know what I mean.
The ride is very rough compared to the LS and it does not have my favorite LS option...the HOLD button.

I asked the mechanic what was his favorite feature in the S63 and he said the "active seats" which I must say after trying it, it's pretty cool. The seats grab you on turns and make you feel one with the car for sure.

But overall I did not feel like I was driving a luxury flagship that has a sticker price of about $160k

My 08 LS460 SWB feels even better now.

Thought I'd share

Last edited by escapedcon; 10-08-14 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-08-14, 06:12 PM
Nospinzone

Received 405 Likes on 313 Posts

Your mechanic has an S63 and an SL55? Business must be good, hopefully its not from you!

Thanks for the review.
Old 10-08-14, 06:54 PM
escapedcon
Driver

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Your mechanic has an S63 and an SL55? Business must be good, hopefully its not from you!

Thanks for the review.
and a Sienna, so yh seems business is booming

he didn't charge me for the oil change today (my own oil and filter) so he's a nice guy. (though we had some work done on both of our cars there lately so I'm sure he was covered)

I think his secret is the location of the shop (affluent area) and the fact that he's an honest mechanic overall. (won't tell you stuff is broken when it's not)
Also has a clean presentable shop so you feel confident taking your flagship there.

In any case, it's hard to find a "good" mechanic and I'm pretty happy with him...so far.

Plus he lets me drive his cars
Old 10-08-14, 07:37 PM
the.wong.k
Lead Lap

drive an s65, then come back and do a review.
Old 10-08-14, 07:49 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Cool that he let you take them out for a spin and get a feel for something different. Probably more fun to drive than own..
Old 10-09-14, 02:36 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Ive driven many Mercs. Including the Bi-turbo S63, the ML55, C63, CLS63, worked for Benz for a while. Not worth anything but speeding in and giving back.

Some problems with the AMG vehicles. If you jack up the motor, the dealership CANNOT fix it. They pull the engine, and ship it back to the guy whose name is on the engine plaque. He built it, its his responsibility FOR LIFE. Call the Benz dealer, and ask them to replace the front brakes on your S63. Dont laugh too hard when they tell you $10,000 PER AXLE. Apparently the hub and everything is all one carbon/ceramic piece so the whole thing gets replaced. Maintenance wise, ANY merc, is an absolute MONEY PIT, and for what? It goes fast? not good enough. Ive seen an E class with rust holes through the CENTER of the door, not even on the edge, and this is Arizona. We dont get rust here. The hole was so big, you could put your fist in the door of the car and unlock it.

The interiors fall apart, CLKs start to rattle very quickly, they are called the RattleBox for a reason. The transmission of Benz irritates me more than anything. When you release the gas, its designed to slow down and thats why you feel it pull back moderately hard when you release the throttle. I have ONLY liked two benz's ive driven. a W123 diesel, and the R-Class diesel. Everything else was a disappointment. The 2009 E320 transmission doesnt pull back as bad as the others, but still. Just not worth the money.

comparing the Benz to a Lexus is just insulting the lexus.
Old 10-09-14, 05:15 AM
philj
Driver

I drove a s65

I like the dynamic seats. I believe that the navigation system in the Mercedes is better than the navigation system in the Lexus.

The number one thing to me about the S class over the LS is the leg room. If you are 6.5 inches tall like I am the extra room is a real plus.

No doubt the S class is quicker and handles a little better.

I will still stick with the Lexus for reliability
Old 10-09-14, 05:37 AM
triniexr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by escapedcon
Well not literally because the S63 obviously is faster and more powerful

But other then that, honestly, I was not impressed. This car definitelly does not feel as good as it looks (one of the best looking vehicles ever, imo)

It's my mechanic's car and it's a fully loaded 2010. I also drove his SL55 which is a beast power wise but a totally different car.

Anyhow, back to the S63, it has all the bells and whistles imaginable but as a whole it felt rough around the edges and did not give me the plush quality feel that my LS does.
Now granted the Mercedes S63 is not an S550 but I think it's pretty close...kinda of like an S550 on steroids.

Some things I did not like...

The soft close on the doors do not work like ours...you need to latch the door for it to draw it closed. In the LS you just touch it close.
The doors also felt "loose" for a lack of a better word when pulled shut. The LS feels much more solid and sturdy. The S63 door does not have the same thump sound when shut closed, you know what I mean.
The ride is very rough compared to the LS and it does not have my favorite LS option...the HOLD button.

I asked the mechanic what was his favorite feature in the S63 and he said the "active seats" which I must say after trying it, it's pretty cool. The seats grab you on turns and make you feel one with the car for sure.

But overall I did not feel like I was driving a luxury flagship that has a sticker price of about $160k

My 08 LS460 SWB feels even better now.

Thought I'd share
I went from owning an 07 LS460L with the Executive Package to a 2011 Mercedes S63 AMG.

I do agree with you about the soft close doors... the Lexus ones worked better. The door probably feels funny as it uses a magnetic hinge. This way where ever you want to open an leave the door open it will stay there. Not like the traditional hinge where you have to open the door out to that certain spot or else the door is hitting you in your shin.

The ride is rougher due to a stiffer suspension and your riding on a set of stock 35 series tires. Mine has 255 35 20 for the front and 275 35 20 in the rear. The Lexus comes with 55 series which provides a lot of cushion.

The Mercedes does have the hold feature. After coming to a complete stop, push the brake pedal further down to activate it. You will see the temperature reading turn into a HOLD sign.

The seats in the Mercedes is a lot better than in the Lexus IMO. Massagers in the front, the cool seats actually cool you (I couldn't feel the Lexus ones) and they are ergonomic.

I didn't have a trunk in the Lexus... I put a golf bag in there and it was full. I am now able to fit 4 bags in this trunk.

The thing that pissed me off the most about the Lexus was the way the Nav and telephone locked you out while the car was in motion. Non existent in the Mercedes.

I hate that I no longer have a heated steering wheel and the cruise control is a stick off the steering wheel and its in a horrible spot as I constantly mistake it for the indicator.

The Lexus had more features, some I really miss, but I am happier with the Mercedes over the Lexus. Right now more so probably because I haven't seen a repair bill lol.

A proper comparison would be the S550 and the LS460......

Last edited by triniexr; 10-09-14 at 05:42 AM.
Old 10-09-14, 05:45 AM
escapedcon
Driver

Originally Posted by triniexr
The thing that pissed me off the most about the Lexus was the way the Nav and telephone locked you out while the car was in motion. Non existent in the Mercedes.
3 words: Prestigious Society module.
Old 10-09-14, 05:55 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Here is another sweet safety feature to any Merc. Have you ever backed out of your drive, or anywhere, and had to open the door while moving? Try it on ANY merc. Let me know how it goes
Old 10-09-14, 11:01 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Wink

I will admit the MB is better in quality materials, handling, and its built like a bank vault. But my '10 LS 460 looks better, requires less maintenance and less visits to the dealership. S63 is fine and dandy but I would rather have an even older LS than a S63. For me its all about reliability and dependability, like the Lexus LS, and not the expensive AMG upgrades.
Old 10-09-14, 11:06 AM
escapedcon
Driver

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
I will admit the MB is better in quality materials, handling, and its built like a bank vault
I thought so too but my point in the OP and my initial impression was quite the opposite...was expecting better built and quality feel but in the 15 min I drove it it left me a very poor impression in those 2 categories.
Old 09-27-16, 10:14 AM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I was going to switch to a Audi A7 2012. Fortunately I got to drive it for a week. Love at first but in a few days was happy to be back in my LS.
Old 09-27-16, 03:00 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 503 Likes on 382 Posts

Holy thread revival!! LOL
Old 09-28-16, 03:01 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by the.wong.k
drive an s65, then come back and do a review.
awwww yes the v12 twin turbo beast!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drove an S63 today...LS460 kicks it's butt