LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Peeling nav surround metal trim

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-14, 04:44 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Peeling nav surround metal trim

I just realized my CPO 2011 is still under factory B2B warranty. There is only one thing wrong with it, the matte finish is coming off the metal trim surrounding the nav system, revealing chrome underneath. It looks like the part is matte clearcoat over chrome. Has anyone else had this happen, and if so was it covered under the factory bumper to bumper warranty? Pics attached of the areas:

Old 10-07-14, 07:08 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Wow. Weird. Haven't seen or heard of this before.
Old 10-07-14, 07:12 PM
escapedcon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"wow" is the word...this happening in a 2011 flagship made by Lexus?? Real strange
Old 10-07-14, 07:45 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

I found this in the archives, same deal: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-chipping.html
Old 10-07-14, 11:58 PM
treborreye
Driver School Candidate

Default Peeling

I have the same problem on my 2011. I just noticed it about a week ago when the sun reflected off of a small bare shiny spot. At this point I'm gonna try to ignore it and when cleaning that area, just use a soft cloth . I'm not even gonna mention it to the dealer as I'm sure there answer would just get me more upset.
Old 10-08-14, 03:16 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

What are you cleaning the interior of your car with? Hopefully not any harsh cleaners. Chemicals will soften the paints and plastics in cars. There is NEVER a need to spray cleaners in your car. Mild soap and water is all that's ever needed.
Old 10-08-14, 06:56 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by slimjimtel
What are you cleaning the interior of your car with? Hopefully not any harsh cleaners. Chemicals will soften the paints and plastics in cars. There is NEVER a need to spray cleaners in your car. Mild soap and water is all that's ever needed.

I never use chemicals or cleaners on my LS interior or exterior. Mild soap and water works well for me.
Old 10-08-14, 11:07 AM
treborreye
Driver School Candidate

Default Peeling matte finish

Originally Posted by slimjimtel
Except for saddle soap on the seats, I don't use any soap or chemicals on my interior. Only a water dampened soft rag. The finish is peeling for no reason other than that the matte coating was sprayed on a perfectly smoth chome surface without any prep work. And paint won't last on a slick surface.
Old 10-08-14, 02:09 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Paint peeling around Nav System

You are under warranty! No matter what they say you may have done to cause this it does not help their cause. They have to prove that you did something to it to deny it. Be positive and take it to the dealer.
Old 10-08-14, 02:28 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Valley101
You are under warranty! No matter what they say you may have done to cause this it does not help their cause. They have to prove that you did something to it to deny it. Be positive and take it to the dealer.
+1. It's a defect in materials or workmanship. Get it replaced - it's peanuts for the dealer.
Old 10-08-14, 02:53 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I have seen this kind of damage before, it's the result of someone not necessary the op but a person who cleaned or detailed the car that used a strong chemical.
The chemical takes a good while but it will erode the paint gradually starting from the edges because that is the area with the thinnest amount of paint.
Some of these quick interior clean up guys use harsh chemicals because it's fast and effective but it's also damaging.
I only use Griot's interior cleaner which prevents this from happening because it's not harsh and therefore it prevents the plastic from drying out.
Old 10-08-14, 03:57 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Unless you've owned the car since new AND did all the cleaning/detailing yourself, there's no way to know what's been used to clean it. It's also my understanding that warranty coverage does NOT include trim pieces/wear and tear etc.

Like DevH, I use a dedicated interior cleaner...in my case Meguiars Interior Detaling spray. Very mild and very effective, with no film left behind or harsh chemicals.

Good luck.
Old 10-08-14, 04:34 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Unless you've owned the car since new AND did all the cleaning/detailing yourself, there's no way to know what's been used to clean it. It's also my understanding that warranty coverage does NOT include trim pieces/wear and tear etc.

Like DevH, I use a dedicated interior cleaner...in my case Meguiars Interior Detaling spray. Very mild and very effective, with no film left behind or harsh chemicals.

Good luck.
Although no harm will come from using the Maguire's product which does have protective abilities, it's only one of the steps in interior detailing.
You really need a dedicated interior cleaner before using a protectant. The cleaner will safely lift off the accumulated build up from the surface which then leaves a clean base to add a quality protectant that can penetrate and protect.
You can use distilled water only (not being that effective) but you should never used any house hold detergents including what you may think is mild.

You can ruin any cars interior and I have seen many ruined with Windex, 409 and lemon pledge by the owners. Some of the detailers at the dealership will ruin interiors by using a strong chemical concoction that is fast at removing grim because they will not take the time to do it right and would rather cheat the customer.

I specifically ask the dealer that I'm not interested in the cars interior being clean when It has to go in for service because I know very well what they do.
Old 10-09-14, 01:12 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Alcohol is also an instant killer on interior plated surfaces.
Old 10-10-14, 10:22 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Although no harm will come from using the Maguire's product which does have protective abilities, it's only one of the steps in interior detailing.
It's a cleaner as well. This from Meguiars' website:

Safely cleans ALL interior surfaces. • Improved, deeper cleaning formula. • Restores & protects the original appearance
The MSDS sheet for it:
http://www.autodetailingsolutions.co...20MSDS/A33.PDF

I'd like to try that Griots. What's cost?

Quick Reply: Peeling nav surround metal trim