LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brk Accumulator/Actuator and GPS ALL FAIL?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-14, 11:28 AM
ohartman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Brk Accumulator/Actuator and GPS ALL FAIL?

In the last month, I've had intermittent issues with the GPS system where it shuts down, repowers up and works just fine. Once in a while, it locates me at the point at which it shut down before it relocates the car. The GPS works 90% of the time.

Then yesterday, I got errors for the ABS Failure, Brake System Failure, VCS Failure When this happened, the GPS screen suddenly turned into Japanese text instead of English!!
Towed to dealer and they think it's the Brake Accumulator. and also need to do the actuator.

A continuing temporary GPS failure is something the dealer hadn't seen before.
The Accumluator is something they haven't seen before.

Seems odd that BOTH of these systems failed within weeks of one another, has anyone seen anything like this or have suggestions regarding software, electric, etc.

Thank you in advance
Old 09-11-14, 11:29 AM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How old is your battery?
Old 09-11-14, 11:31 AM
ohartman
Driver School Candidate

only a year, it tested full this am
Old 09-11-14, 12:09 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

i was going to say battery too, but that's not it apparently. May have to bring it in for diagnostic, unless you have a code reader or better yet the techstream software. about $25 on ebay..works great
Old 09-11-14, 12:24 PM
ohartman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CJITTY
i was going to say battery too, but that's not it apparently. May have to bring it in for diagnostic, unless you have a code reader or better yet the techstream software. about $25 on ebay..works great

thanks...the code they are getting is c1391, which is abnormal leak in brake accumulator. the rear brakes were just done 3 weeks ago.
and for the nav, they are getting NO errors at all when they plug in

Last edited by ohartman; 09-11-14 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-11-14, 12:34 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Man, yeah...battery would come to mind right away. Perhaps a bad ground or other connection?
Old 09-11-14, 01:48 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Question

Never had that problem but keep us posted.
Old 09-11-14, 04:03 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by ohartman
the code they are getting is c1391, which is abnormal leak in brake accumulator. the rear brakes were just done 3 weeks ago.
That sounds highly suspicious(?)
Old 09-11-14, 06:06 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

The C1391 code indicates that the system is losing internal pressure. There needs to be a specific pressure built up in the pump, and then held at that pressure. When the pump runs every 15 seconds, this indicates that the internal pressure is being lost. Commonly, this is internal to the ABS unit.
Old 02-05-16, 03:03 PM
DriverSS
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

C1391 - Accumulator Leak Malfunction

So this code reared it's ugly head on the way in today for me as well. Anyone fix it themselves and what parts did it entail?
Old 02-06-16, 03:40 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
The C1391 code indicates that the system is losing internal pressure. There needs to be a specific pressure built up in the pump, and then held at that pressure. When the pump runs every 15 seconds, this indicates that the internal pressure is being lost. Commonly, this is internal to the ABS unit.
I wish someone would come up with a rebuild kit for these ABS units, it doesn't sound like its a big deal to fix, yet the solution is to replace the entire unit for an astronomical cost. Meanwhile all it probably is is a $3 dollar seal.
Old 02-06-16, 03:59 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

isnt this suppose to be a common problem with the LS ? the abs or accumulator or something like this. I saw a video on YouTube regarding something like this
Old 02-07-16, 03:29 AM
DriverSS
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I reset the code (Carista) and drove it Sat. 10 miles and no CEL... here's hoping just a glitch...
Old 03-09-16, 02:10 PM
Riick
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm looking hard at buying an '07 460, and wondering
HOW COMMON is the brake accumulator problem?

Common enough to steel myself for it happening before 100k miles,
or, sporadic, some people have the problem, some don't/
Old 03-09-16, 02:20 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I always wondered about the commonality of reported problems on user forums. While there is no sure-fire way to know for sure, there is some estimating that can be done. Of course, just bear in mind that any data you pull will in now way will be representative, but it might give you a ballpark, well, more like city park.

1. Search for the problem and see how many different users have reported it here.
2. Determine, the best you can over that same span of reported problems, the amount of overall users or owners.
3. Ratio and determine the percentage of those who experienced it versus those that have not.

The caveat to all of this is how many people here have not reported it? We assume all users here would indicate that they experienced it, but that isn't always the case. How many people out there that have the problem but aren't even registered here. A lot I'm sure. Conversely, how many users out there have not reported and aren't registered here? Even more probably. The other issue is mileage and age of vehicle per user. Like me, I would skew the numbers as my car is new, but you could technically count me as a user that has not reported it.

In any case, just an interesting thought. Good luck and for the record, I have not experienced it.

Quick Reply: Brk Accumulator/Actuator and GPS ALL FAIL?