LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Just changed my oil & filter...bets on whether it hesitates??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-14, 01:27 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Pamperme
Revving an engine in park or nutral (with no load) such as u indicated produces no benefits what so ever. It wastes gas, and increases wear and tear in the process.
In the past before rev limiters I would agree with you.
Revving an engine once in a while can free carbon build up. It was once commonly known as the Italian tune up. In todays modern cars this might not as big of a benefit but it can be if a car is performing a little sluggish especially if it was driven gingerly for most of it's life. You can either rev the car at idle going though the rpm range or driving the car a little spirited. I wouldn't say you should do it all the time but once in awhile doesn't harm anything at all. If it did I would have and everyone else I know that enjoys revving cars would have destroyed many engines already over the course of car ownership to know better. My 2zzGE which revs to 8500rpms gets revved at idle all the time because I like the way it sounds. Never experienced any wear and tear of the motor and it has over 100k in the engine and runs strong.
Engines are not as weak as you think and if anything were to go wrong with an engine these days during the normal service life it will not be because it was revved at idle but most likely a catastrophic failure in the making. This is not to say you cant wear out a motor and shorten it's life by abusing it but it takes a lot of negligent driving before that happens.

There are a lot of things in life you are told not to do but later you find it's not the case at all.
I remember people pointing out to me you need to fist stop any full logic control buttons before you fast forward. I tried to explain how full logic controls work but they were set in their ways.
Old 08-17-14, 03:45 PM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts
Smile

I did my own oil change on 2009 LS460, did not experience any hesitation in acceleration, whereas the dealer did the oil change last time, and there was acceleration hesitation.
I used the full synthetic Mobile 1, 0W20, from Walmart.
Old 08-17-14, 04:06 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
In the past before rev limiters I would agree with you.
Revving an engine once in a while can free carbon build up. It was once commonly known as the Italian tune up. In todays modern cars this might not as big of a benefit but it can be if a car is performing a little sluggish especially if it was driven gingerly for most of it's life. You can either rev the car at idle going though the rpm range or driving the car a little spirited. I wouldn't say you should do it all the time but once in awhile doesn't harm anything at all. If it did I would have and everyone else I know that enjoys revving cars would have destroyed many engines already over the course of car ownership to know better. My 2zzGE which revs to 8500rpms gets revved at idle all the time because I like the way it sounds. Never experienced any wear and tear of the motor and it has over 100k in the engine and runs strong.
Engines are not as weak as you think and if anything were to go wrong with an engine these days during the normal service life it will not be because it was revved at idle but most likely a catastrophic failure in the making. This is not to say you cant wear out a motor and shorten it's life by abusing it but it takes a lot of negligent driving before that happens.

There are a lot of things in life you are told not to do but later you find it's not the case at all.
I remember people pointing out to me you need to fist stop any full logic control buttons before you fast forward. I tried to explain how full logic controls work but they were set in their ways.
All things being equal, a car that has been revved hard without a load sustains more abuse than one that hasn't. ' Italian tune ups' are about as real as an 'urban legend'. Furthermore, such 'tune-ups' involve high rpm DRIVING, not stationary noise pollution. If u want to clean the carbon, then u disassemble the intake and throttle body and CLEAN it. Revving the heck out of it (in park or neutral) is the ghetto approach to solving nothing.
Old 08-17-14, 04:30 PM
Devh
Racer

All things being equal, a car that has been revved hard without a load sustains more abuse than one that hasn't. ' Italian tune ups' are about as real as an 'urban legend'. Furthermore, such 'tune-ups' involve high rpm DRIVING, not stationary noise pollution. If u want to clean the carbon, then u disassemble the intake and throttle body and CLEAN it. Revving the heck out of it (in park or neutral) is the ghetto approach to solving nothing.
Lets say for argument sake it sustains more abuse without load. At best it's academic and serves no real world difference in the longevity of ownership or the drivability of the vehicle. If the Italian tune up is a myth so is revving your engine as well as watching TV too close.
If it did do any harm then every enthusiast I know would have made it a headline cautionary tail on every auto forum. Before we go any further I never mentioned revving the heck out of it to the point where it is considered abuse.
Old 08-17-14, 04:59 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lets say for argument sake it sustains more abuse without load. At best it's academic and serves no real world difference in the longevity of ownership or the drivability of the vehicle. If the Italian tune up is a myth so is revving your engine as well as watching TV too close.
If it did do any harm then every enthusiast I know would have made it a headline cautionary tail on every auto forum. Before we go any further I never mentioned revving the heck out of it to the point where it is considered abuse.
I think we've both made our points. I'll just leave it at that, my friend.
Old 08-17-14, 05:01 PM
Devh
Racer

I think we've both made our points. I'll just leave it at that, my friend.
I like technical debates like this. It makes car enthusiasm what it is, fun and educational.
Old 08-17-14, 05:35 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I have read that cleaning the intake manifold / induction cleaning can fowl up your plugs depending and how much carbon is pushed through the motor. Can't be too great for the injectors and cats either...

I would rather remove the intake manifold have it extrude honed.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abrasive_flow_machining
Old 08-17-14, 09:29 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

K&N filters are a joke. Just do a Google search and enjoy the reads. I know of several forum members at thedieselstop.com back in the day, that "dusted" their engines after using them. In my 2002 Ford Powerstroke, my Blackstone Lab results indicated extremely high levels of silicate (also known as sand) in my oil. I immediately removed the K&N filter and my subsequent report returned normal analysis. Don't use them. Zero benefit and high risk of engine damage over time.
Old 08-18-14, 08:37 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used K&N filters for a very long time and they are more trouble then it's worth, the product is completely misleading. [tons of great explanation follow]
Originally Posted by roadfrog

K&N filters are a joke. ... Don't use them. Zero benefit and high risk of engine damage over time. [includes actual experience]
Thanks guys. Back to Amazon they go...
Old 08-18-14, 09:28 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

My only experience with K&N air filters is that is what is on my Harley. I didn't install it. When I had a dealer put on new exhaust pipes, that is the filter they installed. I've done over 30,000 miles with this filter on and have not experienced any issue from it.

However, I've always been reluctant to install K&N filters on my cars and have not done so. There is a claim of high performance due to easier air flow, but if this is even true with today's engine management systems, the increase has to be almost imperceptible without precision measurement devices.

Frankly the K&N filters don't really save you any money when you consider the labor involved and the expense of the recharge kit. I think this fall when I put the bike away for the season I'm going to simply put in a regular paper filter and not push my luck.
Old 09-02-14, 06:03 PM
robert1408
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, I did the oil change on my '07 LS today at 54,661 miles. This car has had hesitation and power loss lasting usually 300-500 miles on the last three oil changes. I had the ecu re-flash done about 300 miles after the last oil change. By then the hesitation had mostly cleared up so it was unclear how much good the re-flash did. Two days ago I poured a can of Seafoam in the crankcase. For todays oil change I used 0w20 Toyota oil and a Toyota filter.

I've put almost 60 miles on it now and not once has it hesitated or lost power. I don't know if it was the re-flash, the Seafoam, the type of oil and filter, or just luck but I will use the same method next time, too.
The following users liked this post:
DrQuality (08-08-21)
Old 09-02-14, 11:28 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Good time for an update:

I now have 1k miles on this oil change with the Rislone Engine Treatment. NO HESITATION. Also, my oil consumption has dissapeared. I have not had to add a drop of oil. Throttle response is immediate and all the power is there in spades. I suspect that the Rislone freed a sticky ring or two which caused the previous consumption of oil. I couldn't be happier! I will drive it another 3k or so, dump the oil (and Rislone), and fill with Toyota 0W20. On another note, I also did a Techron treatment on my fuel recently to finish off the engine cleanng, Not sure if it did anytihng, but regardless, it couldn't hurt.
Old 09-03-14, 03:32 AM
GSEREP111
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

All,
Thanks for all the information. I really want a LS as my next vehicle, but this lack of power really scares me. I'd never heard of this until now. Since I am old school, I wondered about using 20 weight oil in so many new engines, but it seems the way the engines are designed. I have always used at least a 30 weight, so I have to change with the times. I hope by the time I buy the LS, this problem will be a thing of the past. I have to wonder how the Lexus dealerships let the cars go out to the customers with reduced power. Very interesting thread for me.
Old 09-16-14, 06:57 PM
vincentesq
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roadfrog, I had the same issue as you for a couple hundred miles also when I changed to Mobil one. For the life of me, I could not open the oil filter eventhough I used the Toyota oil filter cap thingy, so I left the oil filter unchanged. I am following your advise to add in the Rislone. However, did you have to take out some oil or just poured in the Rislone? That's a quart of additional liquid so I wonder if I should take out a quart of oil?
Old 09-16-14, 07:13 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure I would do an oil change without changing the filter. I would find a way to get it off. You effectively put clean oil in the engine that is now going to run through a dirty filter. Can't add a quart without taking a quart out.

Quick Reply: Just changed my oil & filter...bets on whether it hesitates??