LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

We are picking up our lexus 460L

Old 08-12-14, 12:10 PM
charlesatl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We are picking up our lexus 460L

Hello

Next week my wife and I are picking up our 2014 Lexus 460, However I have a few question and would like some response from the board members.

Is there a backup camera available for the 460 as this was one feature we really liked on the Audi.

We ordered the deluxe luxury package for $19,000 ( we have not purchased a car in over 20 years) with frontal avoidance assist, pre collision, pedestrian detection, lane keep assist, and driver attention monitor.

They said the car that was coming did have any of these things because they are not available on the 460L but you could build that on the website.....? We had this car custom built in Japan so I dont understand...is this true or did they just pull another car off a lot in the US?

Also as far as the dealer extras:

They charge a fortune for scotchguard and I assume I can just several cans of carpet protector and spray the carpet myself...

As far as leather protector and sealant what do you all suggest?

As far as a paint sealant and wax what do you all suggest?

As far as glass cleaner what do you all suggest...I used to love glass wax but that was years ago.

and finally what do you suggest for tire shine.

I know this is a long list of question and I thank you for assistance.

Will detail the car and post the picture.
Old 08-12-14, 12:38 PM
GXAlan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by charlesatl
Hello
Is there a backup camera available for the 460 as this was one feature we really liked on the Audi.
Yes.

We ordered the deluxe luxury package for $19,000 ( we have not purchased a car in over 20 years) with frontal avoidance assist, pre collision, pedestrian detection, lane keep assist, and driver attention monitor.

They said the car that was coming did have any of these things because they are not available on the 460L but you could build that on the website.....? We had this car custom built in Japan so I dont understand...is this true or did they just pull another car off a lot in the US?
They should be able to find you the deluxe luxury package although it may take you longer.

As far as a paint sealant and wax what do you all suggest?
The world has moved beyond sealants and waxes to permanent coatings. For a car you are going to keep for another 20 years, going this route is a no-brainer.

If you live in southern California, set up an appointment with
http://www.showcardetailing.com/

If you live in northern Cailfornia, set up an appointment with
http://www.immaculate-reflections.com/

and have them coat your car with either CQuartz Finest or Opticoat Pro.
http://cqfinest.com/about.html
http://www.opti-coat.net/content/34/why_opti-coat?.html

Opti-Coat is slightly more durable but CQuartz has a better finish. Expect to pay about $1500 for the service. ($50/hour + $400 for the coating)
Old 08-12-14, 12:45 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

From what I understand, US models don't have the "guide lines" on the screen with the stock backup camera.

Scotchguard the carpet yourself. Personally, I don't like how it kills a lot of the new car smell. Scotchguard does not smell too great as well.

I like foaming non ammonia based glass cleaner, Meguiar's G7014J Gold Class Carnauba Plus Paste Wax, and Meguiar's G12024 Hot Shine High Gloss Tire Spray.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-12-14 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-12-14, 12:59 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
My advice is not to get any of the dealer extras because that is where they make the greatest amount of margins on your car. I believe the back up camera is standard in all the models except those that do not have navigation and if you are getting the deluxe package you can bet it has everything.

There are many good recommended products but I would stay clear of many of the commercially available ones at your auto parts store because they may contain cheaper chemicals that will erode materials and cause more damage then simply using distilled water.

Because there are so many products and not enough knowledge to know how to use them, I highly recommend buying only Griots garage products because their products in general are high quality and will not damage your interior or exterior.

You can click the link below.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/home.do?...FSsV7Aod51YA6w
Old 08-12-14, 01:40 PM
GXAlan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't go the route of a permanent coating, you can do it yourself with
http://gtechniqna.com/exterior-coati...ystal-lacquer/

However, since the sealants will seal everything that's underneath, you would need to do your own compounding and polishing. Richard Lin and Jeff McGovern are two of the best detailers in the country, so people in California are in good shape.

If you don't want a permanent coating and you're going normal synthetic sealants, my recommendation would be

1. Wash the car.
2. Decontaminate with IronX.
3. Wash.
4. Decontaminate with a clay bar
5. Wash
6. *** compound and polish the car as your skill level allows with a dual action random orbiter***
- I'm a fan of Meguiar's Ultimate Compound + Surbuf *or* Orange pad depending on quality followed by a Lake County Green CCS pad + Optimum Hyper Polish followed by Black CCS pad + Meguiar's Ultimate Polish.
7. Prep the surface with Car Pro Eraser.
8. Mix Duragloss 501 with a 4:1 ratio with Duragloss 601.
9. Top layer of Duragloss 105 mixed with Duragloss 601 in same 4:1 ratio.
10. Final layer with Duragloss 951.

I would use Car Pro BOA microfiber since it's the cheapest good quality microfiber.

Maintenance would be wash with Optimum No-Rinse Car Wash + Duragloss 951.
----------------
For the floor mats and your tires, I like 303 Aerospace Protectant. For the tires, it gives a deep MATTE finish.

-----------------
For your leather seats, I actually like Duragloss 221 for basic stuff. I was also impressed by Surf City Garage 133 Voodoo Blend Leather Rejuvenator.

I have restored really old leather on my armrest with Leather Honey. It is a bit tougher to work with so that it doesn't get sticky.

I like to use Meltonian #170 Shoe Cream (Delicate) for the leather steering wheel.
-------------
For glass, Surf City Garage 101 Clearly Cleaner actually works great. GlassWow is getting rave reviews:
http://www.showcarsupplies.com/Glass...aner_p_87.html

but nowadays, I use my own mix of 35% IPA with optimium no rinse.

Costco Microfiber has enough grit for windows.
Old 08-12-14, 03:10 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Hello

First of all , welcome!

Now, I'm not sure I understand your post. You ordered a car, so presumably you sat down with a salesman and did a custom order and have waited at least 3 months for the car to be built and shipped here. Is that accurate? Now the dealer is telling you that the car is arriving with virtually none of the options you ordered?

If this is true, something is seriously wrong. Under no circumstances would I accept the car. It is substantially different from what you ordered. Please expand upon exactly what you did and what the dealer is telling you, this is interesting.

As to all your car care questions, there is a ton of great advice on this forum. I just used it recently myself for some great info.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...detailing-122/
Old 08-12-14, 04:14 PM
JYinKY
Driver School Candidate

Wow GX! That was a LOT of detailing info! Good stuff, bro
Old 08-12-14, 04:41 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I'm with Nospinzone. If I understand your post, they're trying to sell you a car that didn't come as ordered. Tell them to go and you-know-what and ask for the car that you ordered. And if they can't get it, cancel the order and get your money back. Dealers don't like to order cars because it takes them so long to get their money. But they'll try to sell you one they have in stock or can dealer trade for. Do not accept ANY of the dealership options. that's just your money going straight into their pockets with little to show for it except a wax job that any detail shop can do for 1/10 the price.

Care to name and shame the dealership in question?
Old 08-12-14, 04:42 PM
charlesatl
Driver

Default This is what happened.

We went to a dealership sat down with a salesman and filled out the paperwork listing everything we wanted. We have been waiting over 3 months for the car to be built in Japan and this week I get the following email from the dealer:

The good news is the car coming in does has the Luxury Package for $19,000 which is the best of the best LS450 and will be here next week. The bad news is it does not have the pre collision, due to an error. The other items such as Low speed frontal; Active Pedestrian Detection ; Lane Keep Assist; and Driver Attention we are not able to order per Lexus even though you may be able to build a car that way. Sorry about the error.

So how can I be getting a Luxury package with NOTHING on it. This was made at the factory and the options are available from Lexus.com which is where we get our information. At the time the dealer told us no problem we could have all these things and now...not?

Please advise and thank everybody for their help and NOSPINZONE.
Old 08-12-14, 04:47 PM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! No one seems to like dealerships around here.
Old 08-12-14, 04:49 PM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We went to a dealership sat down with a salesman and filled out the paperwork listing everything we wanted. We have been waiting over 3 months for the car to be built in Japan and this week I get the following email from the dealer: The good news is the car coming in does has the Luxury Package for $19,000 which is the best of the best LS450 and will be here next week. The bad news is it does not have the pre collision, due to an error. The other items such as Low speed frontal; Active Pedestrian Detection ; Lane Keep Assist; and Driver Attention we are not able to order per Lexus even though you may be able to build a car that way. Sorry about the error. So how can I be getting a Luxury package with NOTHING on it. This was made at the factory and the options are available from Lexus.com which is where we get our information. At the time the dealer told us no problem we could have all these things and now...not? Please advise and thank everybody for their help and NOSPINZONE.
Don't accept this. You want what you want. It seems like you might have to find another dealer to take care of your car purchase.
Old 08-12-14, 05:40 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

There is no way I would accept that car. It isn't what you wanted plain and simple. First thing I would do is contact Lexus Headquarters and speak with someone there. See what they say. But there is no way I would touch that car.
Old 08-12-14, 05:57 PM
charlesatl
Driver

The other items such as Low speed frontal; Active Pedestrian Detection ; Lane Keep Assist; and Driver Attention we are not able to order per Lexus even though you may be able to build a car that way.
The salesperson seems to be saying that these options cannot be ordered, even though they are still showing as available at Lexus.com. I was wondering if anyone can confirm that these options are still available from Lexus?

Does Lexus have outside oversight from that US legal problem, that could have restricted them from selling these options for some reason? That wouldn't entirely make sense, though, because it would seem like Lexus would take them off their "build your Lexus" app if they were no longer available.

Can anyone confirm that these options are still indeed available?
Old 08-12-14, 06:00 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like it's a bad news letter and the dealer should take an "L" for this huge error!! Do not take delivery of that car, your sales person messed the build sheet up and now wants to accept what you did not order, this is highly unacceptable and I would be speaking to managment along with corprate. I know you been waiting three months for a car you thought was built to your requirements but do not settle, get what you want period!!!!!
Old 08-12-14, 07:29 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Confirm with Lexus headquarters that these items are not available on US cars. If that is the case (which I don't believe), cancel the order or re-negotiate the price waaaay down on a car that you don't really want (at least that's your leverage).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: We are picking up our lexus 460L