LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Techstream Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-14, 05:15 AM
wbrian63
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fed up -

I checked my devices list and saw the same thing as the instructions on the Toyota-4runner.org indicated. Just in case something went wrong, I uninstalled the drivers and tried what the Toyota-4runner.org instructions suggest.

This is the software/cable setup I purchased from Amazon:
Amazon.com : Fotga Newest V8.00.034 MINI VCI for TOYOTA TIS Techstream Diagnostic Cable & Software : Toyota Mongoose Cable : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Fotga Newest V8.00.034 MINI VCI for TOYOTA TIS Techstream Diagnostic Cable & Software : Toyota Mongoose Cable : Car Electronics

When I plug the cable into the computer without the drivers installed, I get the expected errors. When I try to browse to the location of the .MSI, there are no .INF files out there for the XP USB Driver Installer tool to find, so that effort is a bust.

Reinstall the drivers via the .MSI and click the "updater" icon that's now on the desktop. Follow the instructions as from the Toyota-4runner.org site and get the exact same results.

I then de-install and re-install the Techstream software.

Same results.

So many others have had excellent results using either this package from Amazon, or other sources (cable only and downloading the software alone, etc) that I'm really confused as to where the problem is.

When I reviewed the .AVI that came on the CD, the installation doesn't match the software that's on the disk. The installer for the cable drivers is the same, but they show steps after the running the Techstream install that don't match. Specifically, they show a folder called "Toyota Techstream Activation" (or something similar). After the Techstream install is complete, they copy a file called "MainMenu.EXE" from this folder and overwrite the same file in the folder where Techstream resides. Then when they launch Techstream, a screen appears immediately asking for an activation key. They open a .TXT file in that same folder and copy a long string from there and paste it into the proper field in Techstream.

The version of Techstream that appears in the .AVI is 8. something. The version that installs from the MSI that's on the CD is 9.1 something...
Old 08-15-14, 09:34 AM
GXAlan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wbrian63
So many others have had excellent results using either this package from Amazon, or other sources (cable only and downloading the software alone, etc) that I'm really confused as to where the problem is.
Agreed. Something's off. It's possible that it could just be a bad cable. Since you ordered through Amazon, even if it's not from Amazon, you can request a replacement cable.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4...m-mvci-11.html
Seems to give you access to a different driver. No experience. Try at your own risk, but also worth a shot.

The Techstream install is the same for Lexus and Toyota, so the Toyota forums may give you more troubleshooting ideas.
Old 08-15-14, 08:27 PM
wbrian63
Rookie

Hot friggin' damn! Got the v 8.10 software from the rav4world.com link to work.

Already set some options on the car and pulled a DTC that tells me I need a new stop lamp switch to get the cruise control to work!

Lot's of stuff to learn here. I'll be at this a while.

GXAlan - thanks for your help and support.

Regards
Old 08-16-14, 08:22 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by wbrian63
Hot friggin' damn! Got the v 8.10 software from the rav4world.com link to work.

Already set some options on the car and pulled a DTC that tells me I need a new stop lamp switch to get the cruise control to work!

Lot's of stuff to learn here. I'll be at this a while.

GXAlan - thanks for your help and support.

Regards
My radar cruise would not work until my brake pedal switch was replaced. .when that goes out, cruise control will not work at all
Old 08-17-14, 12:36 PM
Defender25
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you read and write the ID registration for the TPMS sensors as well? There is an error message saying "ID registration failed due to a communication error with ghe ECU while in Init mode". Then it is recommending to connect TC an TG of DLC3 for 30", but it does not help. Anybody eperienced the same problem?
Old 08-17-14, 07:23 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Defender25
Can you read and write the ID registration for the TPMS sensors as well? There is an error message saying "ID registration failed due to a communication error with ghe ECU while in Init mode". Then it is recommending to connect TC an TG of DLC3 for 30", but it does not help. Anybody eperienced the same problem?
Yeah..tried that the other day and it asked for that device to be connected blah blah blah. So I use my ateq to write tpms ids to car
Old 08-18-14, 05:58 AM
wbrian63
Rookie

Originally Posted by CJITTY
My radar cruise would not work until my brake pedal switch was replaced. .when that goes out, cruise control will not work at all
Turns out I didn't need a stop lamp switch. When I removed the cover under the dash to access the switch, I discovered that some SOB had cut the red wire on the 4-wire connector to the switch.

The way it was cut, it looks like it was the victim of one of those dreaded scotch-lock taps - the break was more of a tear than anything.

The cable bundle which ends in the connector to the stoplamp switch was just long enough to plug into the switch. There wasn't enough wire left at the connector to do any sort of under-dash repair - barely 1/8" remained.

Tracing the path of the cable revealed that it was actually long enough to pull out from under the dash for an easy solder repair, but only if it could be disconnected from two retention points - one on the brake pedal frame (easy), and one on a zip-tie at the firewall behind some electronic module.

Accessing this simple attachment point to cut multiple tries (translate multiple efforts to squeeze into the drivers floorboard on my back) over the course of 1 hour. It would have been far easier if I had been born with another elbow between my wrist and existing elbow - that and be less "broad of shoulder and ample of girth"...

Anyway - soldered the wires back together, reinstalled the connector on the stop lamp switch and went out for a "cruise" - all working again as designed.
Old 08-18-14, 06:04 AM
wbrian63
Rookie

Originally Posted by Defender25
I've not tried myself. When I had TPMS problems right after I bought the car, my local Discount Tire reprogrammed the sensors into the ECU for the cost of a hand shake.

BTW - I'd suggest you open another thread for your question. Changing topics of a thread by introducing a new question not posed in the original posting is called "thread hijacking". While I'm sure it's not your intention to change the direction of this discussion, there might be someone out there that knows the answer to your problem that has already read this thread before you posted your question and will never read any more items here because they weren't interested in the subject matter or had nothing to contribute.

Start a new thread titled "Problems Programming TPMS with TechStream" and for sure you'll get more viewers and hopefully a quick answer.

As an example, I want to know how to update my Navigation maps using Techstream and will shortly start a new thread for that purpose.

Kindest regards.