LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Why do people want the LS as their "Dream car"

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-16, 05:54 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

The OP actually mentioned the ES as well as the GS in the first post and I can tell you first hand that the ES shouldn't even be put in the same sentence with the LS. I test drove a new ES and it's not in the same league...it just doesn't have the power. I stepped on the gas pedal to kind of open the thing up and I looked at the salesman like...you've got to be kidding me?? And he said if you want more power you'll have to look to the GS or the LS.

I really didn't think it would be that different, I figured new V6...should be snappy, surprising, but it had nothing.
Old 07-07-16, 04:08 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 7milesout
I've driven cars that actually do perform. Heck, I had an FD3S for 10 years, until last year. As good as an LS may handle stock or with suspension upgrades, it's still a land yacht. But oh what a land yacht it is. I don't for it to be a "sports" car. Because regardless of what you do to it, it will always be a "sports" car ... with the quotes (in my opinion). I'd rather it just do what it does. Although, there are some various things I've seen done that just makes the car look LIKE A BOSS (big wheels, lowering, etc).

But until I have money to burn, picture me rollin' with Pandora flowin' out the Mark Levinson ... OEM style. No regrets that I cannot slalom around soccer moms pushing shopping carts at the grocery store as fast as most other cars.

Don't get me wrong superdenso, I have no issues, and don't think it's wrong for others to do what they want with their cars. More power to ya. I'm just sort of locked into thinking that the car is so good at what it does, why would I want to change it? If I want to autocross, I'll get a Miata, S2000 or another FD.

7milesout
^^I had a similar opinion until a week ago. 75% of the "land yacht float" is attributable to the tires. Prior to adding low profile tires my car bounced around just like all the others. It will not handle like an SL500, but the characteristics are more "S" sedan. If the floating style turns people on they should stick with it, but I felt it was nauseating and made the car squirrelly in lane changes.
Old 07-07-16, 07:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
^^I had a similar opinion until a week ago. 75% of the "land yacht float" is attributable to the tires. Prior to adding low profile tires my car bounced around just like all the others. It will not handle like an SL500, but the characteristics are more "S" sedan. If the floating style turns people on they should stick with it, but I felt it was nauseating and made the car squirrelly in lane changes.
Makes a big difference. I'm glad you were able to get more of the feel you wanted out of your car.
Old 07-07-16, 09:33 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

The LS will always be a land yacht, no matter what you do suspension/tires wise, but what can be improved is the handling feel of the car.
Old 07-08-16, 07:02 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Makes a big difference. I'm glad you were able to get more of the feel you wanted out of your car.
If the wheels didn't do the trick...the shocks were getting tossed next. Thanks for the well wish, we had plenty of disagreements on the suspension in the past so unfortunately you know how disappointed I was. Now I ride down the street like this .
Old 07-08-16, 07:24 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

I like hearing you made changes to it and made it better fit your taste. But what kind of lane changes are you doing?
Old 07-08-16, 07:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If the wheels didn't do the trick...the shocks were getting tossed next. Thanks for the well wish, we had plenty of disagreements on the suspension in the past so unfortunately you know how disappointed I was. Now I ride down the street like this .
Glad you're happy! Did you have 18s stock or did you have the 19s?
Old 07-08-16, 10:39 PM
superdenso
Instructor

7milesout-lol good quesition, but let's just stick with something measureable (i.e. slalom). The Accord does a better job with the stability switched on.

concern: After a flurry of complaints about the too-intrusive vehicle stability system in some of its vehicles, Lexus responded by fitting the LS 460 with a switch that allows the system to be completely turned off.
http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/ls-460/2007/road-test-2/

SW15LS-The stock 18s were mounted and that may have been the source of the handling woes. For me they were low-profile enough. Maybe if I went to the 19's and/or bought a "F" sport the setup would have been acceptable in the stock config.
Old 07-09-16, 07:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That doesn't surprise me at all about the Accord doing better in the slalom. I have a good friend with that generation Accord, and I've driven it (he's a drinker!) and ridden in it many times. Its not a smooth riding car at all, they are sprung very firmly. On top of that, its 6 inches shorter than a SWB LS, the wheelbase is 7 inches shorter than a LWB LS, and its 1,000 lbs lighter!

Edmunds has the LS460 at 63MPH in the slalom, the fact that it is 6 inches longer, with a 6 inch longer WB and weighs 1000 lbs more than an also very firmly sprung Accord and does the slalom only .8MPH slower is actually a big plus for the LS' handling.
Old 07-10-16, 10:23 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Default The LS is a Dream Car

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Edmunds has the LS460 at 63MPH in the slalom, the fact that it is 6 inches longer, with a 6 inch longer WB and weighs 1000 lbs more than an also very firmly sprung Accord and does the slalom only .8MPH slower is actually a big plus for the LS' handling.
When you compare the LS to something like a Rolls Royce Phantom the stats are in favor of the LS. For the design, size, weight, amenities, price and performance the LS is a work of art from a variety of perspectives (i.e. accounting, engineering, music and art). You might say Lexus took the other guys to school.

http://www.edmunds.com/rolls-royce/p...ad-test-specs/
RR stats are consistent until 2012

Last edited by superdenso; 07-10-16 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-11-16, 10:42 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Today's BMWs might surprise you. They're more reliable than ever,
Most owners at Bimmerfest would disagree with you. Nothing but misery and angst there. But most of the members are willing to put up with the drama because they're die-hard BMW enthusiasts, and simply will not drive "jap crap".
Old 07-11-16, 02:16 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you think BMWs are bad then you've never owned a 7 series. The 7 series is, as I say, as reliable as a stripper with a coke habit.
Old 07-11-16, 03:11 PM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rld14
The 7 series is, as I say, as reliable as a stripper with a coke habit.

Definitely the quote of the day!
Old 07-11-16, 05:27 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

If you think BMWs are bad then you've never owned a 7 series. The 7 series is, as I say, as reliable as a stripper with a coke habit.
LOL. As most members here at CL know, I DID own a 7 series. It's what I traded-in for my LS460.

I've also used this line: "Owning a 7 Series is like being married to a sex-starved super model.......with a $500 a day coke habit"

Last edited by roadfrog; 07-11-16 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-11-16, 07:27 PM
superdenso
Instructor

The only BMW salesman I know says he's seen the 7 turn rich men into poor men

Quick Reply: Why do people want the LS as their "Dream car"