LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2011 LS 460L Vibration When Coasting

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-14, 01:38 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Default 2011 LS 460L Vibration When Coasting

I just took delivery about 2 weeks ago of a 2011 LS 460L AWD with less than 30k miles. I have a very annoying issue that happens every time I let off the accelerator. There is a consistent vibration that seems to be coming from the drivetrain. It's really annoying to me. This occurs when driving about 50 mph or greater, nothing when driving at slower speeds. Anyone else with the AWD have this issue? More importantly has anyone had this issue fixed? I have an appointment with the Lexus dealer this Thursday to diagnose the problem. Any help or opinions are greatly appreciated. There is a 30 day exchange policy where I bought the car from, hope I don't need to use it.
Old 07-29-14, 02:38 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I don't ever recall reading about this issue in this forum, but maybe someone else is familiar with it. From what you describe it sounds like it could be engine mounts or a faulty/loose universal joint.

I hope you don't have to use that exchange option, but be sure you are satisfied with any fix, or use it!
Old 07-29-14, 03:09 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I don't ever recall reading about this issue in this forum, but maybe someone else is familiar with it. From what you describe it sounds like it could be engine mounts or a faulty/loose universal joint.

I hope you don't have to use that exchange option, but be sure you are satisfied with any fix, or use it!
I hope that this is an easy fix and not some other issue. Weird thing is that it only happens at highway speeds and only when I let off the accelerator. Everything else about the car is great.
Old 07-29-14, 04:03 PM
Nospinzone

Originally Posted by mbarron37
Weird thing is that it only happens at highway speeds and only when I let off the accelerator. Everything else about the car is great.
That is why I suspect it is an engine mount or drivetrain issue. That vibration would likely happen under high speed and the stress of sudden deceleration of rpm's.
Old 07-30-14, 05:19 AM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Was it from a Lexus dealer ?if not Take it to a Lexus dealer ...
Old 07-30-14, 05:34 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Originally Posted by david mack
Was it from a Lexus dealer ?if not Take it to a Lexus dealer ...
No, I purchased from a Mercedes Benz dealership here in Massachusetts. I do have an appointment at an area Lexus Dealer tomorrow to go over the problem I am encountering. I specifically requested that a senior technician take a test drive with me so I can point out the problem. If this can be fixed I will be a very happy LS owner.
Old 07-30-14, 05:59 AM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm sure they will help you find the problem .. My Lexus dealer in Sydney goes above and beyond to help me . Nothing is ever too much of a problem
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 07-30-14, 08:24 PM
tonyctl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope that this is an easy fix and not some other issue. Weird thing is that it only happens at highway speeds and only when I let off the accelerator. Everything else about the car is great.
What tires are installed on your LS? I have a 2010 AWD SWB that did the same thing..vibrates when coasting at 70mph and persists until speed drops to around 50mph or so. Can feel it everywhere seats floorboards steering wheel. I had Bridgestone Turanza EL42 tires on my car, size 235/50/18. When I installed new Pirelli Cinturato P7 All season Plus tires on my car yesterday, vibrations seem to have gone under the same conditions when my car used to vibrate while running the Bridgestones. Car definately feels smoother. Haven't done a whole lot of driving since but will continue to monitor.
Old 07-31-14, 05:32 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

No, I purchased from a Mercedes Benz dealership here in Massachusetts. I do have an appointment at an area Lexus Dealer tomorrow to go over the problem I am encountering. I specifically requested that a senior technician take a test drive with me so I can point out the problem. If this can be fixed I will be a very happy LS owner.
Which dealership will you be going to?
Old 07-31-14, 06:56 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

I just took the car to Lexus of Northborough in MA.

I have the crappy Bridgestone EL 42's in the car right now.

So far they say the car needs an alignment and new rotors. The biggest issue is the vibration while coasting, they are not sure yet on that. The senior technician was concerned it might be transmission related. They might have the car a while. I have a loaner for the next day or so. I still hope that there won't be major issues as I don't want to get rid of this vehicle. I am nervous though. I will update as soon as I learn anything more.
Old 07-31-14, 08:23 AM
Nospinzone

Yes, keep us posted.

Recently I have had some service done at that dealership and found them to be very professional.
Old 07-31-14, 08:28 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

I just took the car to Lexus of Northborough in MA.

I have the crappy Bridgestone EL 42's in the car right now.

So far they say the car needs an alignment and new rotors. The biggest issue is the vibration while coasting, they are not sure yet on that. The senior technician was concerned it might be transmission related. They might have the car a while. I have a loaner for the next day or so. I still hope that there won't be major issues as I don't want to get rid of this vehicle. I am nervous though. I will update as soon as I learn anything more.
I can tell you, IMHO, that you could not be in better hands. I have a long history of servicing at that dealership, and they resolved every single convoluted issue my 460L had (covered in other threads). I have a very good relationship with the service team. Please let us know how it goes.

Last edited by caha14; 07-31-14 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-31-14, 11:46 AM
swirvin
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

I just took delivery about 2 weeks ago of a 2011 LS 460L AWD with less than 30k miles. I have a very annoying issue that happens every time I let off the accelerator. There is a consistent vibration that seems to be coming from the drivetrain. It's really annoying to me. This occurs when driving about 50 mph or greater, nothing when driving at slower speeds. Anyone else with the AWD have this issue? More importantly has anyone had this issue fixed? I have an appointment with the Lexus dealer this Thursday to diagnose the problem. Any help or opinions are greatly appreciated. There is a 30 day exchange policy where I bought the car from, hope I don't need to use it.

This may be your issue....TSB: L-SB-0013-12 AWD Vibration between 30-75 MPH

That link is a direct download for the TSB posted previously.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...-30-75-mph.pdf
Old 08-01-14, 07:58 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Quick update on the car as of today. Dealer needed to balance all tires and do an alignment, that was the easy part.

The dealer had a call with Lexus technical out in CA and they stated that both front axles need to be replaced. All covered under warranty. Has anyone had front axles replaced on their LS? I'm nervous that I might have purchased a 'Lemon" of a used car. Hopefully this fixes the vibration when coasting at highway speeds, but if not then I assume the dealer will try other things to alleviate. The dealer has been great, so far.

If and when they fix this problem, I am going to look for new tires as my car has the stock Bridgestone EL 42's. What is recommended as the tires that is the smoothest and quietest? I have seen posts on this board for Michelin's. Is that what most LS owners recommend? I'm not interested in performance, just a great tire that is quiet and smooth. There are lots of bad roads (potholes) here in New England!
Old 08-01-14, 08:26 AM
Nospinzone

I think most likely it is the control arms (really the bushings but you have to replace the whole arm) that they are replacing. Since it's under warranty I wouldn't worry about it. You'll have brand new ones for free.

Based on what you want for tires, I highly recommend Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology. You can get them on Tire Rack.

Quick Reply: 2011 LS 460L Vibration When Coasting