LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Shark Fin antenna

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-14, 10:55 PM
enjo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shark Fin antenna

Was wondering where one could get the radio antenna that looks like a shark fin. Is it a Lexus extra?
Old 06-18-14, 05:33 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by enjo
Was wondering where one could get the radio antenna that looks like a shark fin. Is it a Lexus extra?
Nope it's OEM comes like that on all 460/600's.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S460-2009.html
Old 06-18-14, 06:46 AM
enjo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Tee. it's hell waiting for mine....with blurry bbm pictures.....
Old 06-19-14, 08:12 AM
tofu
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee
Nope it's OEM comes like that on all 460/600's.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S460-2009.html
I don't think so, my 08 LS is base model and not equipped with Navi system so no shark fin antenna.
Old 06-19-14, 08:45 AM
lieup
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Shark Antenna

Originally Posted by enjo
You can get the same look as the LS shark antenna but dummy version for like $50 with painted.
Attached Thumbnails Shark Fin antenna-dummy.jpg  
Old 09-23-15, 09:14 AM
Slaughter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, everyone,

I have a '06 LS 430 UL (3rd Gen) with Navigation and SiriusXM.

Does anyone know if a LS 460 (4th Gen) shark fin antenna will fit on the 430, without mods?

Does the shark fin antenna serve as the satellite antenna?

All the best, TRS
Old 01-05-16, 12:39 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I just backed up into my garage door as it was opening up and the garage door hit the top brake light and broke the fin off. Any idea on the part number? The fin looks like it is/was attached to the bottom black portion still attached to car, meaning it didn't just snap on, it was one piece. I'm bummed. The top brake light is a touch loose but I think it's ok and the windshield looks to be ok too, think I caught the top 6 inches of the windshield too.
Old 01-05-16, 12:46 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

So I just called Lexus of South Atlanta for the part, have to buy the entire antenna, they don't sell just the cap. Price is $182 plus shipping. Any idea on how these things are installed?

Looking at the underside of the fin, there is glue residue so might I be better off just gluing this guy back on and purchasing some touch up paint? I have starfire pearl so I'm not quite sure about touch up paint and if there is a process for applying it?

It's raining here so I think I need to stick it back on for now so water doesn't get down into the roof.

Name:  image2-3_zps4bczr2bi.jpg
Views: 1389
Size:  54.3 KB

Name:  image1-6_zpsy6lzci4q.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  111.3 KB

Last edited by sdwtchlvr; 01-05-16 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-05-16, 01:18 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yikes.

No idea how to put one on, but considering it's meant to be water-tight, I would be very careful.

It might worth having the new one put on by the dealership and claiming collision insurance, assuming it costs a lot for them to do it (which I'm sure it will) and your deductible is less than the cost.

Heck try homeowner's insurance lol, although I'm sure they will try to get your auto insurance to do it.
Old 01-05-16, 01:35 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

https://www.mylparts.com/parts/2009/...iagram=8932125
Old 01-05-16, 02:02 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

I've got a $500 deductible on my insurance so I don't think it would be worth going through my insurance. Assuming the damage is strictly cosmetic, I'd rather not replace the whole unit. I glued it back on for now so the only visible damage is do the back of the fin. I'm pretty sure it will be water tight enough, the bottom ring of the fin rest against the black bottom portion and creates a seal. How tight it is I don't know but it's probably just as tight was it was before. The area where the top of the fin attaches to the black housing is about mid way up the inner part of the fin, not at the bottom.

I'm going to go to a local body shop that specializes in toyota/lexus and see what would be involved in painting the fin. I'm sure they've seen these pop off before, it's probably pretty common.

Appreciate the posts guys. I'll keep everyone updated.
Old 01-05-16, 02:20 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Have you checked to see if it can be glued back on? If you're still getting good nav and radio signals, perhaps that's all you need.
Old 01-05-16, 03:10 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

I did indeed glue it back on and it fits perfect on top of the black base. The only thing now is the cosmetic damage to the fin. Does Toyota/Lexus make a starfire pearl touch up paint that just goes on in one application? I might be better off trying to find a replacement topper on Ebay. I see a lot of knock offs from China and a few OEM shark fins (just the top fin) for other models but I don't know if these will fit. There are a couple of OEM LS fins, complete with the antenna but they are different colors, not starfire pearl.

Also, looking at the black base of the antenna, it doesn't fit flush to the hood, front to back but I can't remember if it ever did. The back comes up slightly, probably 2-3mm and it's the last inch or so. When I push down on the back, the front pops up a bit...so it's a bit of rocking motion. But it's not loose at all, it still feels tight. I remember looking at another LS when shopping for mine and the shark fin was loose and visibly sat up several mm from the hood.

Any insight on how these things sit on the hood would be appreciated. Are they completely flush to the hood, all the way around? If so, I might want to look deeper into it as I don't want water seeping in.
Old 01-05-16, 03:30 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sdwtchlvr
I did indeed glue it back on and it fits perfect on top of the black base. The only thing now is the cosmetic damage to the fin. Does Toyota/Lexus make a starfire pearl touch up paint that just goes on in one application? I might be better off trying to find a replacement topper on Ebay. I see a lot of knock offs from China and a few OEM shark fins (just the top fin) for other models but I don't know if these will fit. There are a couple of OEM LS fins, complete with the antenna but they are different colors, not starfire pearl.

Also, looking at the black base of the antenna, it doesn't fit flush to the hood, front to back but I can't remember if it ever did. The back comes up slightly, probably 2-3mm and it's the last inch or so. When I push down on the back, the front pops up a bit...so it's a bit of rocking motion. But it's not loose at all, it still feels tight. I remember looking at another LS when shopping for mine and the shark fin was loose and visibly sat up several mm from the hood.

Any insight on how these things sit on the hood would be appreciated. Are they completely flush to the hood, all the way around? If so, I might want to look deeper into it as I don't want water seeping in.

Old 01-05-16, 04:45 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

I think the design is different on the 2009. There is a black rubber piece that sits between the hood and the fin, as seen in the pic on my car.

Quick Reply: Shark Fin antenna