LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Car Care

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-14, 05:10 AM
triniexr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Care

How many of you take your car through an automatic car wash? If so, is it touchless or does it have the spinning brushes.

Personally, I avoid using car washes. I've always rather hand wash or use a coin wash even when its -20 degrees Celsius outside. I've seen and heard too many horror stories with automatic car washes scratching and damaging cars.
Old 06-16-14, 05:18 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I would never use an automatic car wash on mine. Hand wash only
Old 06-16-14, 05:22 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
I would never use an automatic car wash on mine. Hand wash only
Same here. I hand wash it. I'd be cringing the entire time if I went through a drive-thru car wash
Old 06-16-14, 05:31 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I hand wash mine at minimum once a week.

The key to keeping a clean car is WAX! a car with good protection will stay cleaner.

I DO run mine through touchless between Washings. NEVER ever do I use the brush or flapping cloth type car washes. There is nothing wrong with the touchless machines and with a good coat of wax, they work well to get the dust and pollen off. Road grime from driving in the rain, hand wash it off!
Old 06-16-14, 07:45 AM
triniexr
Driver

I usually hand wash every Friday. I clay bared my car, buffed with G3 and G10 compound, zymol, then waxed with meguiar's earlier in May. Im still not happy with the outcome though. The swirl marks are hard to get out on this paint.
Old 06-16-14, 07:47 AM
triniexr
Driver

Originally Posted by slimjimtel
I hand wash mine at minimum once a week.

The key to keeping a clean car is WAX! a car with good protection will stay cleaner.

I DO run mine through touchless between Washings. NEVER ever do I use the brush or flapping cloth type car washes. There is nothing wrong with the touchless machines and with a good coat of wax, they work well to get the dust and pollen off. Road grime from driving in the rain, hand wash it off!
A few detailers and mechanics have told me that there is an ingredient in the solution for the clear coat in automatic car washes that causes the haze on headlights.
Old 06-16-14, 08:23 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Sorry to say, but the haze in headlights is from the plastic getting sun baked, The heat from the light bulbs, hot cold hot cold...

It has nothing to do with any ingredient that they use.
Old 06-16-14, 09:38 AM
bsimonds
Driver School Candidate

I run mine through a brushless car wash and then pull around by the vacuums to chamois it dry to avoid water spots. Works good.
Old 06-16-14, 10:17 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Chamois...it's a NO NO also, they scratch!

If you touch the paint with anything, it should be a microfiber towel and microfiber wash Mit. You will get far less swirls in the paint. If you have a black car like I have for a long time, you learn what to do and what NOT to do.

Any paint will get swirls over time, you just have to do paint/swirl correction far less if you take care and not use chamois, terry cloth, household towels, sponges, sponges with the net to get bugs off...OUCH!

I hate to say but I'm **** about it, I use my electric leaf blower to get 90% of the water off and out of all the crevices and grill before drying. Then use a soft microfiber to remove last little water and it removes any spots.
Old 06-16-14, 12:06 PM
triniexr
Driver

I use this to get the water off quick then I use a sheep skin chamois.
Attached Thumbnails Car Care-cardusterjellyblade.jpg  
Old 06-16-14, 01:39 PM
RodT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has never seen an automated car wash or been to anybody else that washes cars. I only wash mine by hand followed by using an absorber to dry it the soap that i use comes from the dollar store called AJAX with bleach lol just playing i use M-Tech by Mothers, then i wax it at least once a month using M-Tech synthetic wax by Mothers and in between washes (usually twice a month) I use Showtime Detailer by Mothers. But my car is a garage queen and stays with a cover on it pretty much i only pull it out on the weekends maybe,lol
Old 06-16-14, 02:25 PM
GXAlan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you drive your car through snow and salted roads, you need the occasional automated car wash if your pipes are frozen. The damage from the automated wash is less than the effects of salt. Optimum No Rinse is OK but won't get the undercarriage.

if you're in a warm area, then the most consistent system is Optimum No Rinse as your primary wash and then a sealant of your choice with microfiber. if you need correction, Meguiar's Ultimate Compound is the easiest consumer-grade compound.
Old 06-16-14, 02:32 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I run full service car washes and the belief that soft cloths causes scratches is so far from the truth. You can create more scratches hand washing than running through a car wash. Back in the day nylon style brushes that didn't have a proper pre soak or wet down would cause certain types of scratches. Sure you get your share of unfortunate accidents, but believe me no operator is out to destroy you guys expensive toys.
Old 06-16-14, 08:49 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SBlexus
I run full service car washes and the belief that soft cloths causes scratches is so far from the truth. You can create more scratches hand washing than running through a car wash. Back in the day nylon style brushes that didn't have a proper pre soak or wet down would cause certain types of scratches. Sure you get your share of unfortunate accidents, but believe me no operator is out to destroy you guys expensive toys.
I'm in the minority here but I have been taking my cars to a car wash called Mr. Car Wash here in Des Moines. I've been using this fabulous full service car wash since I bought my LS 460L in Dec. 2008. I still use it now that I own an S550. This is not your typical automatic car wash. They do a fantastic job washing the car and also vacuuming and cleaning the glass inside. I pay about $42/month for unlimited washes and vacuums. I have never seen any scratches or streaks on my cars using this place. I will continue to use this place. I can't remember the last time I actually washed the car myself.
Old 06-17-14, 03:51 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by SBlexus
I truly believe this based on my experience. Our new black Durango has seen nothing but newer automated car washes since purchased in October 2013. I have yet to see one swirl mark on it at all. The truck comes our looking great everytime. I see the handwash places using sponges sitting in buckets with no grit guards or anything, so my opinions of handwashes only have changed over the past couple years. I pay $20 a month and can drive through the wash with the best wash service available anytime I want..I go twice a week sometimes.

Quick Reply: Car Care