LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Car Care

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-14, 07:27 AM
bsimonds
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you do about the bugs smashed on the front surfaces between washes? Just leave them there for their digestive juices to eat the paint?
Old 06-17-14, 08:28 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bsimonds
What do you do about the bugs smashed on the front surfaces between washes? Just leave them there for their digestive juices to eat the paint?
I imagine you are addressing those of us who go the car wash route with your post. As I stated, I have unlimited washes and vacuums with my arrangement. Now if I cannot get to this my car wash for an extended period (vacations, etc.), I did purchase some wonderful cleaning and waxing products from Griots and I use those in such circumstances. A couple of years ago, I made the terrible mistake of taking my LS through a BP car wash place in Akron, OH when visiting my daughter. What a disaster. That place was awful. It resulted in several scratches/swirls on the hood of the car. Fortunately, my Lexus dealer here in Des Moines was able to buff those out after several attempts. I am bringing with me the box of Griots products on my two planned driving trips this summer (one to Akron in July and the other to the Boston, MA area in September).

The only car wash I trust as I explained on my other post here, is Mr. Car Wash. They do a fantastic job.
Old 06-17-14, 08:43 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I've always used an automated car wash. From any distance greater than one inch, you can't see any blemishes on my paint at all. I used to use a magnifying glass to inspect my paint every hour. Now, I just spend my time enjoying the ride in my LS.
Old 06-17-14, 09:00 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

I've been running my car every other week through the brushless wash since the day I got it. The week in between, I hand wash. The only thing I do is wash the wheels before taking it to the drive thru. During certain times of the year, like now, I'll take it to the drive thru weekly since it seems to rain every day for a month or so. I hate to handwash and get rain the same day. Cant see any issues as of yet.
Old 06-17-14, 11:11 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I do make sure to get those off as soon as I get to my destination. I never really drive on the highway that much anymore unless on a road trip so I rarely have bugs..even here in the south. On a road trip at night..it's wrap tho lol! Or use blue painters tape on the entire bumper, mirrors and leading edges of hood and roof. Looks ridiculous but it really does help with reducing pitting, chips and bugs of course..just peel off.

Last edited by CJITTY; 06-17-14 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-17-14, 04:35 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

You forgot to put blue tape all over your windshield.
Old 06-17-14, 10:23 PM
enjo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I do make sure to get those off as soon as I get to my destination. I never really drive on the highway that much anymore unless on a road trip so I rarely have bugs..even here in the south. On a road trip at night..it's wrap tho lol! Or use blue painters tape on the entire bumper, mirrors and leading edges of hood and roof. Looks ridiculous but it really does help with reducing pitting, chips and bugs of course..just peel off.

Seriously?
Old 06-18-14, 03:06 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Just get clear bra, then there is no need for the blue tape.
Old 06-18-14, 04:05 AM
triniexr
Driver

For bugs this works really good! I imagine if you were to spray it on and then go through a car wash it would remove all the bugs. I hand wash only and works like a charm.
Attached Thumbnails Car Care-worth_insect_remover.jpg  
Old 06-18-14, 04:10 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

Auto Geek is my favorite online store for the best in car care products! Just dropped $400 there last week and am doing everything from clay bar to Dual Action polisher sealant and wax with #1 gear. AWESOME customer service and freebees too!
Old 06-18-14, 04:43 AM
GregoryNP
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I love Eagle One Nano Wax and the Detail spray for after cash washes with cloth brushes
Old 06-18-14, 05:33 AM
triniexr
Driver

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Auto Geek is my favorite online store for the best in car care products! Just dropped $400 there last week and am doing everything from clay bar to Dual Action polisher sealant and wax with #1 gear. AWESOME customer service and freebees too!
Have you ever used detailed image? They are an affiliate on here.
Old 06-18-14, 10:02 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
I'm in the minority here but I have been taking my cars to a car wash called Mr. Car Wash here in Des Moines. I've been using this fabulous full service car wash since I bought my LS 460L in Dec. 2008. I still use it now that I own an S550. This is not your typical automatic car wash. They do a fantastic job washing the car and also vacuuming and cleaning the glass inside. I pay about $42/month for unlimited washes and vacuums. I have never seen any scratches or streaks on my cars using this place. I will continue to use this place. I can't remember the last time I actually washed the car myself.
Yes I'm familiar with mr. Carwash and they do a great job, same type of business I'm into. We sold a wash to them in the Tampa Bay Area a few years back.
Old 06-18-14, 10:04 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

I truly believe this based on my experience. Our new black Durango has seen nothing but newer automated car washes since purchased in October 2013. I have yet to see one swirl mark on it at all. The truck comes our looking great everytime. I see the handwash places using sponges sitting in buckets with no grit guards or anything, so my opinions of handwashes only have changed over the past couple years. I pay $20 a month and can drive through the wash with the best wash service available anytime I want..I go twice a week sometimes.
Nice Durango by the way, I had the pleasure of washing that vehicle.
Old 06-18-14, 11:45 PM
mdorn98
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I found this thread. Not to thread jack but my 08 ls had tons of swirls from the previous owner. Its now only hand washed but the damage had been done. Would a DA polisher along with some meguiars compound and polish be enough to at least lessen the marks?

Quick Reply: Car Care