LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Another Newby - Car and Pricing Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-14, 01:07 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

If it was me, I would pass on that car. It doesn't have any rear controls for the stereo, no rear cooled seats, no adaptive cruise. I'd rather have a year older with more options. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't look to have air ride either.
Old 06-13-14, 01:46 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
Also, keep in mind the Used Car managers tend to get more aggressive towards the end of each month (as they try to meet their "quotas." This gets amplified somewhat at the end of a Quarter. Luckily, June is the last month of the second quarter, so I"m guessing the price will get better the closer you get to the end of the month.
Good point. The only thing is it is hard to tell if it is end of the quarter for them because they may be on a fiscal year and not calendar. However, end of the month is definitely coming.

Originally Posted by greg3852
If it was me, I would pass on that car. It doesn't have any rear controls for the stereo, no rear cooled seats, no adaptive cruise. I'd rather have a year older with more options. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't look to have air ride either.
You know when I was plugging that car into the websites I was thinking the same thing. It seemed light on options. The only thing about the adaptive CC, they didn't send many to snowbelt states. Things may have changed since 2007, but when I bought mine I had to special order it because no Pre-Collision equipped cars were shipped to dealers in northern states. So you may have a tough time finding one in Mass.
Old 06-13-14, 01:56 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

I am definitely not married to that car for sure, heck I haven't even seen the car yet. Can I tell a dealer to remove the CPO warranty so I can replace with a less expensive Platinum warranty from Troy Dietrich at Greenfield Toyota. I think the CPO warranty is ~ $2,900 or so. I should be able to save some $$$ going with the Platinum warranty (I hope). The only requirement for the Platinum warranty is that the car I purchase must still be under the original manufacturer's warranty?
Old 06-13-14, 02:20 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by mbarron37
I am definitely not married to that car for sure, heck I haven't even seen the car yet. Can I tell a dealer to remove the CPO warranty so I can replace with a less expensive Platinum warranty from Troy Dietrich at Greenfield Toyota. I think the CPO warranty is ~ $2,900 or so. I should be able to save some $$$ going with the Platinum warranty (I hope). The only requirement for the Platinum warranty is that the car I purchase must still be under the original manufacturer's warranty?
Probably a smart idea on a car like you one you are currently targeting. Dropping the CPO certification should drop the price of the car by $1000, and you can use that money as a down payment on the long Platinum Warranty you'll want to buy from Troy anyway. It's true that you can buy the Platinum warranty on any car that is still under the original bumper-to-bumper warranty.

If you're not sold totally on that car, you could probably find one that has some of the desireable features the current vehicle is missing (Adaptive Cruise and Rear Seat Entertainment sysem, among others). You may have to wait for a while for one to turn up in your local area, or expand your search somewhat and be willing to ship a car in.
Old 06-13-14, 08:49 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
The CPO rate of 1.9% does not apply to LS purchases, only ES. However, if you have good credit you should be able to get somewhere right around that rate anyway. I got 2.24% for 72 months on a 2008 LS600 this week.
I just bought a 08' LS460 CPO and got 1.9% as a promotion rate 60 months.
Old 06-15-14, 09:02 PM
marksajan1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi all, I too was wondering if the finance rate is 1.9% or 2.9% for 60 months. I believe it is 2.9% but wanted to see if others here can confirm?

Thx
Old 06-16-14, 08:51 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Originally Posted by marksajan1
hi all, I too was wondering if the finance rate is 1.9% or 2.9% for 60 months. I believe it is 2.9% but wanted to see if others here can confirm?

Thx
I contacted a dealer in Massachusetts this past weekend and asked them specifically for the used LS460L I was considering. The dealer stated 1.9% up to 60 months. Best case is to call your dealer and verify. The dealer also stated the special financing ends June 30th. I don't know what typical rates are for CPO vehicles or if they change month to month. Just started looking for CPO vehicles, so I will keep track if/when rates change. There is not much used CPO inventory up here in New England, I hope people start turning in lease vehicles soon
Old 06-17-14, 01:47 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am from mass too and have been to that dealership. my ex got a terrible deal there on an rx [she just wouldnt listen to me because she HAD to have it] and in the process one of their salesmen who was a walking stereotype [not all their sales people are] I believe his name is tom ryan bragged that they are going to get 8k on any sale they make. I personally saw one of their staff drive off in that particular car you mentioned as his weekend ride. I was there talking to another salesperson about the gs. I have been all over the map planning on what I want when my lease ends next year and the ls is looking like the smartest move. saw a black one pass in front of me in the city today and its very impressive presence wise. like other posters on the thread I am considering the 600h for the extra features but I DETEST the grill on the 11 and 12 model years. good luck on your search and let us know how it works out. I think Ill be shooting for either a 12 460l or 11 600h depending on price and mileage.
Old 06-17-14, 04:38 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Originally Posted by OneOfOne
I am from mass too and have been to that dealership. my ex got a terrible deal there on an rx [she just wouldnt listen to me because she HAD to have it] and in the process one of their salesmen who was a walking stereotype [not all their sales people are] I believe his name is tom ryan bragged that they are going to get 8k on any sale they make. I personally saw one of their staff drive off in that particular car you mentioned as his weekend ride. I was there talking to another salesperson about the gs. I have been all over the map planning on what I want when my lease ends next year and the ls is looking like the smartest move. saw a black one pass in front of me in the city today and its very impressive presence wise. like other posters on the thread I am considering the 600h for the extra features but I DETEST the grill on the 11 and 12 model years. good luck on your search and let us know how it works out. I think Ill be shooting for either a 12 460l or 11 600h depending on price and mileage.
The problem currently is that used inventory in this area is very low. If the requirement is for a CPO, such as a 460L with certain options, then the search could be quite cumbersome. The closest Lexus dealer to me is Lexus of Northborough and I have reached out to their used car Manager to ask him to be on the lookout for certain vehicles that meet my criteria. I think it could take several months to find what I want and with a price that I'm willing to pay ($45k or less). Seems that any car that is decent is selling quickly. I hope to get a 2011 off of lease turn in, but there just do not seem to be many units available. I do see a lot of base LS 460's for some reason.

I might reach out to some other Mass Lexus dealerships to ask their used car Manager's to keep an eye our for certain LS models. Are there any dealers in Mass that are better than others? I have been on all their respective websites, but that is about it. I did purchase an ES from Lexus of Northborough back in 2004, no issues from that sale. That dealer seemed pretty good at the time.
Old 06-24-14, 04:04 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

I have possibly found a car that was just traded today at a local dealership (not a Lexus dealership). I need help on pricing ASAP. The car is a 2011 LS460L with the following options:
- Luxury Package
- Mark Levinson
- Navigation Value Edition
- Cold Weather Package
- AWD
- Pre-collision and dynamic radar cruise

The car has 28,752 miles and is in great condition. Also has new tires. The car's warranty expires in 6 months, so I would need to get an extended warranty through Troy (7 year/100k for $2,245). The price from the dealership is $45,991. Is there room to move on this price as it is not CPO and no extended warranty. Please advise as this car is really nice. If this was through a Lexus dealership and was CPO I would be signing the papers already! Original sticker was $79,105. Please advise!
Old 06-24-14, 05:59 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I have possibly found a car that was just traded today at a local dealership (not a Lexus dealership). I need help on pricing ASAP. The car is a 2011 LS460L with the following options: - Luxury Package - Mark Levinson - Navigation Value Edition - Cold Weather Package - AWD - Pre-collision and dynamic radar cruise The car has 28,752 miles and is in great condition. Also has new tires. The car's warranty expires in 6 months, so I would need to get an extended warranty through Troy (7 year/100k for $2,245). The price from the dealership is $45,991. Is there room to move on this price as it is not CPO and no extended warranty. Please advise as this car is really nice. If this was through a Lexus dealership and was CPO I would be signing the papers already! Original sticker was $79,105. Please advise!
Check KKB & NADA for what the going value is, be sure to plug in the options.
Old 06-24-14, 06:54 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tee
Check KKB & NADA for what the going value is, be sure to plug in the options.
Already checked KBB, Edmunds and NADA and with mileage and options the dealer has it priced below all three websites. Issue is, I see CPO's priced lower than those online appraisal sites. Pricing is all over the place and just don't know if dealer has room to move or not. Month end is near so I may offer 1 or 2k less and see what happens.
Old 06-24-14, 07:16 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

If those websites show the value higher than the dealer is asking, then there is probably not a lot of bargaining room for you. I would take my checkbook out in front of the salesman and tell him you want to buy the car right now. Ask him what he wants for a deposit. Once he tells you, start writing a check out to the dealership in that amount. Hand him the check (important, be sure he actually takes the check in hand). Tell him if they will sell the car for $43,000 he can take the check to the bank.

He will tell you there is no way they can sell the car for that. You can respond is several ways. You can tell him to hold onto the check for one day to think about it and then the offer is off the table. You can ask for the check back and walk out telling him to call you if he changes his mind. Or (and this shows weakness but I know you want the car), you can say "well give me your absolute non-negotiable bottom line price". He'll talk to his manager and come back with a counter offer. Then you decide to accept it or not.

I'm not kidding about this. It is very hard for them to hand back that check.

Good luck!
Old 06-25-14, 05:27 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

I just pulled a carfax on this vehicle and it shows as a 2-owner car. 1st was a lease for 2 1/2 years and second was an owner for only 9 months. Not sure why only 9 months, I will have to see what the dealer says, if anything. The person that just traded it in bought at Herb Chambers Lexus of Sharon. The carfax does not show any service done to the vehicle, but when I pulled mine up on carfax it showed all maintenance done at the dealer and even brake work done at Midas. I now wonder if this car has had proper maintenance done to it. I might call a Lexus dealer to see what info they might give me.
Old 06-25-14, 05:44 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

You can find the full Lexus service history via the My Lexus web site: https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...-lexus/home.do Just plug in the VIN and you should be able to see anything that has been done to the vehicle at a Lexus dealership.

It sounds to me like the car is priced about right, but there may be a bit of wiggle room. I was able to buy a Certified Pre-Owned 2011 LS460 AWD short wheel base model with 33K miles for $40,800 at my Lexus of Omaha dealer in April. Mine didn't have the Dynamic Radar, though, which is a great feature. Color can effect the price, also. Mine was the dark blue, which is one of the less desireable colors (according to a couple of the Lexus dealers I've worked with). Black, White, or Silver are the ones that get the highest prices.

The beauty of the car you're looking at is that it's still under full factory warranty (which takes away some of your concerns, I'd imagine), and you can buy the Platinum warranty from Troy for a great price.

I would definitely target a lower price (~$43K), but since the dealer just got the car, he may want to see who else is out there looking before taking a lower offer. You'll have to decide how much the car is worth to you at this point...

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Another Newby - Car and Pricing Advice Needed