LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Replaced Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-14, 12:58 AM
roadtripp
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replaced Radiator

Had to replace my radiator on my 2007 Lexus LS 460 L due to my son breaking the nipple off the radiator reservoir return line while replacing the water pump. Anyway, just a friendly reminder to everyone to try to clean that area as best you can. (See pics)
Attached Thumbnails Replaced Radiator-20140520_054441.jpg   Replaced Radiator-20140520_054456.jpg  
Old 06-06-14, 06:26 AM
RodT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it looks as though its been sitting in a junk yard for a lil while instead of coming out of a Lexus
Old 06-06-14, 03:22 PM
roadtripp
Driver School Candidate

Just like you I was surprised by all the dirt and appearance of the radiator. I'm the second owner since 2009 and its been garaged kept, serviced by a Lexus dealer with 92,000 miles.
Old 06-07-14, 06:11 AM
enjo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roadtripp
Had to replace my radiator on my 2007 Lexus LS 460 L due to my son breaking the nipple off the radiator reservoir return line while replacing the water pump. Anyway, just a friendly reminder to everyone to try to clean that area as best you can. (See pics)
Wow. So much debris. Will check mine.
Old 06-18-14, 05:13 PM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

I broke the same nipple while changing my belt. Worried for about 3 hours before calling a buddy of mines who's pretty handy with JB weld. The hole was drilled a bit larger and sanded smooth. A brass nipple was put in and JB welded. Waited over night, reinstalled the hose and refilled the radiator. Haven't had any problems.
Old 06-27-14, 02:41 AM
roadtripp
Driver School Candidate

305 Busa,
Hope that quick fix works for you. I tried a few but they all leaked a little. So I just finally said f_ _ _ it and purchased a new radiator. For me, I needed the peace of mind.
Old 06-27-14, 03:57 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

How much did the new one run you?
Old 06-27-14, 06:50 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Originally Posted by roadtripp
305 Busa,
Hope that quick fix works for you. I tried a few but they all leaked a little. So I just finally said f_ _ _ it and purchased a new radiator. For me, I needed the peace of mind.
Its been about 3 months now and its been working ok. Check it often and cant see any leaks.
Old 07-02-14, 01:48 AM
roadtripp
Driver School Candidate

Hey greg3852,

Sorry for the delayed response, just been real busy. I believe I paid about $225 dollars for my radiator. It's not OEM but it fit perfectly.
Old 06-07-15, 11:38 AM
dctex
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Quicksteel for a temp repair on the radiator tit

I had a similar problem where I broke the tit off the radiator when I was changing the serp belt and air filters. My LS460 has over 200K so maybe the plastic was already weak, but either way it’s a very depressing moment! All you have to do is lean over and it snaps right off… terrible location in my opinion.
I’m posting in the event someone else has a similar issue and while I wouldn’t recommend this for a perm solution it definitely keeps the car drivable. I’ve ordered a new radiator from Amazon but its been over a week and the fix is still solid. If I had it to do over again I’d use copper tubing instead of rubber tubing but I had this stuff lying around in my toolbox so used what I had handy.
Parts:
Quicksteel, rubber (or copper) tubing, sandpaper, soldering iron, and a hollow plastic screw or something with an opening approximately the same size as the original tit.
First I had to drill the end out of the hollowed screw I had from an old brake bleeding kit. Then I cut rubber tubing and slid up into the hollowed screw leaving about ¼ inch extending out to fit into the radiator.
Then I sanded down the opening on the radiator really well and roughed up the surrounding area to provide a better surface for the quicksteel to adhere too. Finally I wiped the area around the hole on the radiator really well with engine degreaser and a paper towel.
After that I used the soldering iron to melt the head of the plastic screw and mix together with the plastic on the radiator. I took my time and it was a bit of a pain to go all the way around the screw since the bottom is hard to see. The nice thing about plastic is it cools quickly so if there is a loose area you can feel it by lightly moving the plastic screw. You just melt the two plastics together and make a firm fit. Finally when its all cooled off and if feels solid, then I cut off an inch of quicksteel and kneeded it to get it ready. Then I smeared a little real firmly around the base of the screw and all over the area I soldered. Then I smashed the rest all around the fix. I also used a flat head screw driver to sort of push down on the edges where the quicksteel met the radiator to ensure I didn’t have any air pockets.
I let it dry for 2 hours and took the car for a spin… a week later with lots of driving no leaks! Like I said I’m getting a radiator to replace this one, but part of me wants to see how long it will last.

Note: I'm seriously thinking of putting some around the tit on the new radiator to give it reinforcement in the event I lean on that again!
Attached Thumbnails Replaced Radiator-20150607_123227.jpg   Replaced Radiator-20150607_122651.jpg  
Old 06-07-15, 01:31 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by dctex
I had a similar problem where I broke the tit off the radiator when I was changing the serp belt and air filters. My LS460 has over 200K so maybe the plastic was already weak, but either way it’s a very depressing moment! All you have to do is lean over and it snaps right off… terrible location in my opinion.
I’m posting in the event someone else has a similar issue and while I wouldn’t recommend this for a perm solution it definitely keeps the car drivable. I’ve ordered a new radiator from Amazon but its been over a week and the fix is still solid. If I had it to do over again I’d use copper tubing instead of rubber tubing but I had this stuff lying around in my toolbox so used what I had handy.
Parts:
Quicksteel, rubber (or copper) tubing, sandpaper, soldering iron, and a hollow plastic screw or something with an opening approximately the same size as the original tit.
First I had to drill the end out of the hollowed screw I had from an old brake bleeding kit. Then I cut rubber tubing and slid up into the hollowed screw leaving about ¼ inch extending out to fit into the radiator.
Then I sanded down the opening on the radiator really well and roughed up the surrounding area to provide a better surface for the quicksteel to adhere too. Finally I wiped the area around the hole on the radiator really well with engine degreaser and a paper towel.
After that I used the soldering iron to melt the head of the plastic screw and mix together with the plastic on the radiator. I took my time and it was a bit of a pain to go all the way around the screw since the bottom is hard to see. The nice thing about plastic is it cools quickly so if there is a loose area you can feel it by lightly moving the plastic screw. You just melt the two plastics together and make a firm fit. Finally when its all cooled off and if feels solid, then I cut off an inch of quicksteel and kneeded it to get it ready. Then I smeared a little real firmly around the base of the screw and all over the area I soldered. Then I smashed the rest all around the fix. I also used a flat head screw driver to sort of push down on the edges where the quicksteel met the radiator to ensure I didn’t have any air pockets.
I let it dry for 2 hours and took the car for a spin… a week later with lots of driving no leaks! Like I said I’m getting a radiator to replace this one, but part of me wants to see how long it will last.

Note: I'm seriously thinking of putting some around the tit on the new radiator to give it reinforcement in the event I lean on that again!
Suffered the same fate with my water pump and belt replacement. I bought a new rad on Ebay with a lifetime warranty for 65 bucks. Free shipping too. While waiting for a couple of days for the rad. I did a quick fix similar to the others here and it held long enough to replace the rad. Just keep a close eye on it.
Old 06-07-15, 07:45 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Useful information for DIY. I'm going to have my radiator checked for debris.
Old 06-08-15, 10:50 AM
macjac69
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I purchased my car 1 year ago the radiator and area near it at the bottom had all kinds of leaves and even sand build up but i quickly disposed of that.. cannot take a dirty engine bay...
Old 06-12-15, 09:03 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Everytime I read one of these threads, it motivates me to keep my car longer. My car turned 100k a couple of days ago and still drives like charm but I always feel like getting to 100k is the downfall. Then I see posts like DCTEX that has 200k and I think, damn, I can go another 8-10 years.
Old 06-13-15, 04:04 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by 305Busa
I broke the same nipple while changing my belt. Worried for about 3 hours before calling a buddy of mines who's pretty handy with JB weld. The hole was drilled a bit larger and sanded smooth. A brass nipple was put in and JB welded. Waited over night, reinstalled the hose and refilled the radiator. Haven't had any problems.
That's pretty cool. JB Weld is pretty awesome stuff, it's saved my butt a few times.

Quick Reply: Replaced Radiator