LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Free Car Wash from dealer

Old 09-30-11, 11:46 AM
TL6545
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Free Car Wash from dealer

Recently, I bought LS460 from my local dealer.

One of its services is free car wash once a week and free breakfast on Saturday morning.

So my wife and I go to the dealer every saturday morning, eat break fast, and let them wash my car outside and clean up inside.

My concern is
' Does once a week car wash impact the exterior of my LS460?'

Please advice.

Ted,

NewLexus Owner
Old 09-30-11, 12:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Any washing will affect the exterior. I would be careful with the weekly washes if the car is black. The people ( or even you) will leave swirls in the clear coat because of the rubbing and washing and drying. I used to wash my blue GS every week and she had some swirls but it wasnt that big of a deal to me. With my white LS460 I cant see the swirls because they are the same color as the car
Old 09-30-11, 01:36 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

unfortunately, the dealer puts swirls in it before you even take ownership of it. They put a nice coat of glaze on the car in the customer delivery prep process and after a few washes..you'll see how they left you a nice set of swirls. My black LS is a beast to keep up with, but with enough coats..it throws off the swirls enough. True paint correction techniques can get the car back to factory paint appearance, but it does take down the clearcoat a little bit. Costs can range $500 to $1000, but after seeing some before and after shots, I am still considering it..check out this site for before and afters...this black LS went from swirl city to fresh out factory paint booth after 20 hours of paint correction!! http://peachstatedetail.com/Detailin...pic.php?t=1882

This is a 30 hour paint correction job on a LS430...dude got skills!!

http://peachstatedetail.com/Detailin...pic.php?t=1943

Last edited by CJITTY; 09-30-11 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-30-11, 02:07 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Having the dealership wash your car is a sure way to put swirls and scratches on your car. Your car will look clean from far away, but look carefully and you will see tiny scratches. Eventually, the car will look dull even from far away, especially with darker colors.

I never let the dealer wash my car. when I bring my car in to service, I always make sure the service advisor put a big "no wash" sign in the car. Have you seen the cheap, dirty towels the car wash guy uses, and do you think he would get a new towel if it dropped on the ground? Anyways, go in for the free breakfast, but only let a professional detailer "detail" your LS, or do it yourself.
Old 09-30-11, 02:13 PM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Before picking up my LS, I'd looked at a black one from a private owner. I went to see the car and it was filthy dirty and he said he'd wash it later and I could look at it then. I went later that afternoon and the car was clean but full of swirls. Thats when I decided that I didnt want black. Even then, I use 2 other products between washes. Sometimes I use this thing called "waterless wash" or Eagle Ones "wash n shine" depending on how dirty the car is. I also never go thru drive thru washes which is what my 3 local dealer use. Not sure what yours has.

http://croftgateusa.com/buy-croftgat...ss-car-washing
Old 09-30-11, 06:47 PM
GSP David
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep. the dealership does a pretty crappy job. let them wash my car once when I took it in for service and they put a grip of swirls everywhere!
Old 09-30-11, 07:44 PM
TL6545
Driver School Candidate

WOW. Your comments are VERY helpful and professional. Thank you all for your time and consideration.

My color is Mica (a kind of Red).

I will TRY to avoid washing my car if possible.

I love my LS460... I should buy this one earlier :-(

Ted,

NewLexus Owner :-)

Last edited by TL6545; 09-30-11 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-30-11, 08:59 PM
CJITTY

Some of us have made laminated signs that say "DO NOT WASH CAR" when our car goes to dealer..sad but these car washers are just trained to wash even if you tell the advisor no wash
Old 10-01-11, 02:30 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i hate the swirls that are on my car... its bound to happen but im not to picky about how good clean the car is at all times since i drive a lot.
Old 10-01-11, 05:47 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well ......... I'm just looking for a free breakfast and good nickel cigar today !

LOL !

Mikey
Lake Oconee, GA
Old 10-01-11, 09:49 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Some of us have made laminated signs that say "DO NOT WASH CAR" when our car goes to dealer..sad but these car washers are just trained to wash even if you tell the advisor no wash
Never thought about putting up a sign. I usually take it in clean and just tell them to do the interior, not the exterior. I showed my SA once how their wash actually made my wheels dirtier than when it got there and now she knows to let them know. The brushes rub agains the sharper part of the spokes and leave all the dirt and grime on the wheels. Then its a mission to get it out.
Old 10-01-11, 10:48 AM
CJITTY

My car was washed and shined up prior to service. When they rolled it around for pickup, the car had water still coming out the mirrors. I said, you all washed my car?? They said yes, we wash all the cars. I said my car was cleaner before you washed it and now I have spots and no armor all left...they apologized and didnt notice car was clean...wtf???? They put some glaze on it to make up for their epic fail..just stupid

Originally Posted by 305Busa
Never thought about putting up a sign. I usually take it in clean and just tell them to do the interior, not the exterior. I showed my SA once how their wash actually made my wheels dirtier than when it got there and now she knows to let them know. The brushes rub agains the sharper part of the spokes and leave all the dirt and grime on the wheels. Then its a mission to get it out.
Old 10-01-11, 12:45 PM
snoylekim
Rookie

Originally Posted by TL6545
Recently, I bought LS460 from my local dealer.

One of its services is free car wash once a week and free breakfast on Saturday morning.

So my wife and I go to the dealer every saturday morning, eat break fast, and let them wash my car outside and clean up inside.

My concern is
' Does once a week car wash impact the exterior of my LS460?'

Please advice.

Ted,

NewLexus Owner
If it's the dealer I'm thinking of, they need to serve free breakfast because the Saturday AM wash line gets so darn long !!! ..do they also have the putting green over in the TV/Cafe area ???
Old 10-01-11, 04:45 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

When I first bought my car I asked the dealer how they washed the car. They used an automatic car wash, so I told them to skip the wash and just do the interior. A couple years later they got rid of it and started to hand wash all cars. So since then I've let them wash the car.

Washing the car every week is fine. I pretty much do it that frequently, but I polish the car twice a year. Although I really should do it three times a year.
Old 10-01-11, 05:40 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I also never let the dealer wash my cars. I have them put a sign on the dash, no wash. I've seen the wash mits they use and don't want them using them on my vehicles. I always hand wash my vehicles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Free Car Wash from dealer