LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Dead pedal protection?

Old 07-03-16, 08:05 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The install is not a big deal at all, several people here have done it.

The shape and size of the pedal is the same, what concerns me is the base of the gas pedal where it connects to the floor. My guess is they're the same out of cost savings...

If you just buy the parts installing them isn't hard. There may even be a writeup here...

make sure they're 2016 GS F Sport pedals. The GS-F pedals are different (although also attractive), and prior to 2016 they're the "polka dot" pedals...
Yes, I made it clear that I was interested in the 2016 GSf pedals, so I am pretty sure they sized and priced the 2016 parts. I will search for write-ups for installing them.

Meanwhile, my first "mod" will be to get the Luxe carpet mats with Lexus logos!!
Old 07-03-16, 08:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Can't wait to see them! Let me know if you run into any issues.
Old 07-06-16, 04:26 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Pleasant surprise (albeit not on LS)

I am currently driving a '16 RX loaner and upon resting my foot on the dead pedal, it felt a bit more rubbery than usual. I was intrigued, so after parking, I looked, and lo and behold, here is what I found!

As you can see, these fine pieces have a lip around them (like the WeatherTech liners), but they are actually constructed similar to all-weather mats (with channels). Most importantly, protection for the dead pedal goes all the way up! (Lexus has begun to get the memo!)

I can't find them anywhere online, including lexus.com, but I haven't searched particularly thoroughly. My hunch is that these are redesigned all-weather mats, not just a new accessory, and IMHO, they are a winner. Not sure if/when these will make it to LS or other models but I would buy them in a heartbeat.
Attached Thumbnails Dead pedal protection?-fullsizerender-3-.jpg  
Old 07-06-16, 05:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I believe that is the design of the RX's all weather may not the dead pedal itself.
Old 07-06-16, 06:02 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

I believe that is the design of the RX's all weather may not the dead pedal itself.
Exactly! That's why I was surprised, as it's the first time I see one of these reaching all the way up and around the dead pedal. Thing is if you go on lexus.com, the all-weather mat photo that's on there is still the "traditional" mat (i.e., with no lip around it and nothing for the dead pedal).
Old 07-06-16, 08:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah that's a nice addition
Old 07-07-16, 02:13 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow, no idea why Lexus didn't make this type of all-weather mat standard for all models.

I would buy one immediately.

Originally Posted by caha14
I am currently driving a '16 RX loaner and upon resting my foot on the dead pedal, it felt a bit more rubbery than usual. I was intrigued, so after parking, I looked, and lo and behold, here is what I found!

As you can see, these fine pieces have a lip around them (like the WeatherTech liners), but they are actually constructed similar to all-weather mats (with channels). Most importantly, protection for the dead pedal goes all the way up! (Lexus has begun to get the memo!)

I can't find them anywhere online, including lexus.com, but I haven't searched particularly thoroughly. My hunch is that these are redesigned all-weather mats, not just a new accessory, and IMHO, they are a winner. Not sure if/when these will make it to LS or other models but I would buy them in a heartbeat.
Old 07-07-16, 04:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't want it standard, but definitely as an option.
Old 08-09-16, 06:55 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Yeah my plan is to upgrade the pedals but just leave the dead pedal alone. The pedals I want though are the 16+ GS F Sport pedals:

Now that Sewell is gone I'm having a hard time finding them and verifying that they will fit on the LS.
Originally Posted by comotiger
Comparing the LS F-sport and and GS F-sport pedals, I also prefer the GS. It's more "sedate" and the slots flow more smoothly with the dash than the holes in the LS.

Can't the parts dept at the dealership help? Especially, a large dealership will have a GS-F on hand, and it will be a matter of measuring the dimensions of the various pedals. If I made this mod, I would probably get a local shop to fabricate the dead pedal plate and glue it on to the existing surface.
Update:
Installing 2016GSf pedals failed

The brake pedal would fit fine. The gas pedal looks to be the perfect fit also.

But when my indy mech and I compared the positions of the mounting screws, the holes in the LS pedal (and the floor) were about a centimeter closer than in the GS pedal There is no way to attach the pedal to the floor, and given that it is the gas pedal, the mechanic advised against any tinkering to force the pedal to fit. So close, but no cigar...I will be soon returning the GSf pedals for a refund, unless someone has a brilliant idea to make it work!

I was so sure the gas pedal would fit that I had scheduled to get a dead pedal fabricated this week at a local machine shop ($100). Now I can only wonder about what could have been....

I still have the option of using the 2016 LSf pedals, but I am not sold on the polka dot pattern.
The following users liked this post:
Chaos236 (03-17-18)
Old 08-09-16, 07:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Nooooo! I was afraid of that...

No way of swapping the bases of the pedals?

Such a bummer. That would look so sharp. Yeah the polka dot ones are too sporty IMHO.
Old 08-09-16, 08:21 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Nooooo! I was afraid of that...

No way of swapping the bases of the pedals?

Such a bummer. That would look so sharp. Yeah the polka dot ones are too sporty IMHO.
Swapping the bases?
Brilliant!!
Here are some pics and it looks promising. Looks like the pedal may slide out of the base. There appears to be a tab on the base that would snap out (check previous pics), and allow the base to slide away from the pedal. The question is whether the LS pedal is attached in the same way and fit exactly. My car is in the indy shop getting some hail damage fixed, so I can't check whether the LS pedal could also slide out from its base. I will talk to the mechanic tomorrow to see if this could work. Fingers crossed!

Chaos236 (03-17-18)
Old 08-09-16, 08:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That's why they pay me the big bucks

I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us!
Chaos236 (03-17-18)
Old 08-10-16, 02:31 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Default It worked!!

The gas pedal slides right out of the base. There is a small tab underneath, and pushing on it releases the pedal! The owner of the indy shop was surprised that the pedal slid out.

I was hoping the 2014 LS pedal was constructed the same way. The owner took the GSf pedals to the back and emerged a few minutes later with the LS pedal on the GSf base

The car is still in the shop until Friday or next week, so I couldn't take a pic yet. But they said the pedals fit perfectly. So, anyone interested in this mod, go right ahead. The part #s are seen on the pic (brake pedal $75, gas pedal $92 + tax)

Now, I have to figure out the dead pedal fabrication. I have some ideas that I will share if they work Should know in a few days.
Chaos236 (03-17-18)
Old 08-10-16, 02:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Hooray! Talk about teamwork! Do you have part numbers?
Old 08-10-16, 04:26 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Hooray! Talk about teamwork! Do you have part numbers?
Yes, thanks for the most brilliant suggestion

Part numbers They are on the stickers in the photo above! And I thought you were smart....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dead pedal protection?