LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

GS450H or LS460 Sport? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-14, 11:15 AM
bfor3
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GS450H or LS460 Sport? HELP!

I posted this in the GS thread too, to see their answers!

Hey guys, well it's that time that I've been waiting for to trade in my 04 Acura TL and move up drastically to either a 2010 GS450H or 2010 LS460 Sport. Both are driving me crazy because I absolutely love the look of both cars and the more I keep looking at the wheel photos makes it even harder

I have 3 kids but 2 of which are older so size doesn't matter (LOL)

I do prefer the GS due to the super sleek looking and 20" are a win BUT the LS on 22" with the air ride and data controller is a super win!!! not to mention the 19 speakers are better then the 14 hehe.

HELP! PLEASE! POSSIBLY MAKING THIS EASIER. I know that I have to drive each car and I have not yet but any more input would be awesome and thanks.

Also pricing is pretty close for each car and it looks like the gas mileage is also pretty darn close so I don't believe that is an issue either way unless I'm wrong??
Old 05-20-14, 11:50 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

This topic on GS vs LS has been discussed at nauseum if you search, you will see. GS cannot be compared to LS, PERIOD! You probably can gather what my stand is on this matter....
Old 05-20-14, 12:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

in terms of class, bells and whistles, audio system, etc... you can't beat the LS. one heck of a car

i do think it comes down to the drive. ls460 sport is sportier than regular and it has great brakes, but its handling is still not gs450h. the gs is still more nimble and fun to drive. does the gs450h have apsss? if so, that car handles super nice
Old 05-20-14, 01:11 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

The GS (in 350, 450 or hybrid form) is a different beast from the LS. What you choose depends on what you want from the car. If you need an LS, the GS won't do. If you want a GS, the LS probably won't suit you.

What do you want from the car?
Old 05-20-14, 02:24 PM
GXAlan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 4th gen GS (2013+) is a better competitor to the 2010 LS 460 Sport. Since you're comparing 3rd gen GS, then I think the no-brainer is the LS 460 Sport with a few caveats.

1) You're talking about wanting to put 20's or 22's on your car. Therefore, you're not looking for raw performance as much as your are looking for style. The purest expression of JDM VIP style demands the flagship LS. (Or a similarly large flagship sedan). The reason is that VIP style was about presence on the street and a styled GS just feels like a styled GS.

2) The LS460 Sport out-handles a F10 BMW 5 series LCI. The BMW 5 series has been criticized for losing some of its sporty edge, but that tells you that the LS is "pretty good" when you're sticking to legal speeds and just want precision w/your driving rather than flat out hooliganism.

3) The 2013+ cars have upgraded infotainment systems with HD Radio, and upgraded electronics like blind spot monitoring. I can see where the 2013+ GS might be preferred in some cases. Personally, I'd still take the LS over the GS.

4) Safety. The 2010 LS is safer than the 2010 GS.

5) Reliability. The air suspension is a known potential failure point, but the LS460 is going to be more reliable than the hybrid GS.

6) Sound system. The Mark Levinson sound system is superior in the LS460. The USB input only supports MP3 and FAT32 though. BMW is still the gold standard for USB input (it can play FLAC, MP4 video, MKV's, and reads NTFS).

DISADVANTAGES
The Brembo brakes will generate a lot of brake dust and cost a lot to replace...
Old 05-21-14, 05:15 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want straight line acceleration, get the GS450H, Lexus's 3rd fastest car produced (0-60 5.2 seconds!)

If you want straight bad-*** looks, lots of good features and negative G's stopping get the f-sport 460 with the Brembos
Old 05-21-14, 05:29 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexFather
I can help

I love my GS 450h and it has been a fantastic car and I agree, it has aged very well. The LS though is on another level and the 2010 Sport is the older LS model to get. The GS of course gets better MPG but who cares when comparing these two cars, it is obvious. The LS is much larger inside and out and built to a higher standard with much better materials. You also get Brembo brakes and other goodies like the Sport interior. The LS and GS have very similar acceleration/performance though they achieve it differently. I do miss the quiet and hybrid aspect of the GSh in the LS (the LS is quiet but a car with no engine running has 50% less NVH). I'm not sure on the 2010 but the current LS F-sport is the better handling/driving car and the brakes are better. The LS Sport also has a LSD.

If you can swing it go with the LS but the GS is a great car in its own right.
Old 05-21-14, 06:48 AM
RodT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im sorry but im LS all the way. The GS is a very nice car but they can be spotted pretty much everywhere so the lack of exclusiveness is missing however the LS Sport is pretty rare ( in my neck of the woods and im pretty sure everywhere else too) so me personally i would got with the LS Sport and add 22" wheels and call it a day and have some exclusiveness bout my whip. ( this is all just my personal opinion not to degrade the GS)
Old 05-21-14, 12:46 PM
PeteinPA
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with Lexfather. I had an 08 GS350, I loved that car, I put F-sport Sway bars and had 19" wheels. It handled really wheel and I had some fun with it. The valet service from the dealership i had it serviced at described it as the best handling GS he had ever driven.

I sold it last year and bought an 08 LS SWB. The LS is a whole other level. I do not have the Sport package but I do have ML which I did not have in the GS. The LS handles and brakes well enough for me. Love the V8 power and torque.

It all comes down to what you really want out of a vehicle and what will keep you happy (until the next one )
Old 05-21-14, 03:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Buying used...3GS vs the LS460 is a no brainer to me, get the LS. Now, if we were talking about a used LS460 and a new 4GS I would probably get the GS (well, not probably...I did LOL) because of my preference for the modern infotainment, and my preference for new vs used cars...but if you're already getting used and both cars are going to have the same infotainment system, I wouldn't even consider a GS450h vs an LS460.
Old 05-21-14, 05:39 PM
bfor3
Pit Crew

Default omg!

you guys are awesome and I agree with everything that everyone is saying!!! Thank you so much for all posting and this really makes my decision a hell of a lot easier.

I'm not really into speed (but it's fun of course) because the law regulates all of us for going as fast as we want and I do believe the comfort factor will heavily out weigh everything else.

I will have to drive each car just to make sure but this really does HELP!

HOPEFULLY the air suspension in the sport model is a little beefier and doesn't have the possible failures that was said earlier.
Old 05-22-14, 06:14 AM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Loved both my GS's but head room can be an issue.
Old 05-22-14, 10:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by bfor3
you guys are awesome and I agree with everything that everyone is saying!!! Thank you so much for all posting and this really makes my decision a hell of a lot easier.

I'm not really into speed (but it's fun of course) because the law regulates all of us for going as fast as we want and I do believe the comfort factor will heavily out weigh everything else.

I will have to drive each car just to make sure but this really does HELP!

HOPEFULLY the air suspension in the sport model is a little beefier and doesn't have the possible failures that was said earlier.
if you care more about comfort then i think LS is the car
Old 05-22-14, 11:03 AM
bfor3
Pit Crew

If I had your money Mike (LexFather) I would burn mine You are the one that got me into the GS450H when i saw it on MRR show. That was awesome and thanks.
Old 05-22-14, 11:55 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Ls ftw...

Quick Reply: GS450H or LS460 Sport? HELP!