LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 lumbar adjuster repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-14, 07:16 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts
Default LS460 lumbar adjuster repair

One of the things that wasn't working when I bought my 2007 LS460 a couple of months ago was the drivers seat lumbar adjuster. The local Lexus dealer wanted over $1000 for the part and $250 to install. Not being made of money, I pulled the adjuster unit, disassembled the fore-aft adjuster motor/actuator and immediately found the problem. Three small plastic planetary gears in the actuator had disintegrated so the motor was just spinning and not moving the adjuster (see pictures below):

The lumbar support adjuster unit is made by Schukra. They now make the planetary gears out of metal, not plastic. I'm trying to find out if the metal parts are available for repair of the adjuster.
Old 05-02-14, 07:18 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I really do not know why gears like that are made out of plastic, you might be able to use google and get some. take some good measurements and what you can find and will be on your way
Old 05-02-14, 08:46 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I did the same surgery on the passenger side of my previous 08 LWB, one thing you can do is take all these broken gears out and fuse the two big outer gears together with two or three screws. Otherwise $1500 to change the entire lumbar support mechanism since they don't sell the motor by itself. When I did that it worked to about 75% the range. Also, check ebay, couple of months ago there where lumbar mechanism for ~$600. Good luck!
Old 05-03-14, 10:55 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Interesting - that hadn't occurred to me. It should work fine with the exception that you don't get the benefit of the gear reduction, so it may adjust much faster than the original (maybe too fast)?
Old 05-03-14, 02:39 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Exactly! But not too fast. Better than paying the $1500
Old 02-18-22, 04:14 AM
LEXOTAMUS
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just joined, same problem (broken lumbar gears in motor). Anyone know of source for these gears, any material, nowadays? I DO NOT own a 3D printer (yet)!
Thanks for your help.
Old 02-20-22, 11:04 AM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

This thread is many years old so you probably won’t get a response but use the search on the forum to find the answer. There is a thread (or threads) that mention who the manufacturers is. I can’t remember off hand. I ended up emailing the manufacture of the lumbar mechanism and they sent me the replacement gears for free.
The following users liked this post:
swfla (02-20-22)
Old 02-20-22, 11:37 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
One of the things that wasn't working when I bought my 2007 LS460 a couple of months ago was the drivers seat lumbar adjuster. The local Lexus dealer wanted over $1000 for the part and $250 to install. Not being made of money, I pulled the adjuster unit, disassembled the fore-aft adjuster motor/actuator and immediately found the problem. Three small plastic planetary gears in the actuator had disintegrated so the motor was just spinning and not moving the adjuster (see pictures below):

The lumbar support adjuster unit is made by Schukra. They now make the planetary gears out of metal, not plastic. I'm trying to find out if the metal parts are available for repair of the adjuster.
Schukra - Leggett & Platt Automotive Group- North America
360 Silvercreek Industrial Dr., Lakeshore, ON N8N 4Y3
519-727-7000 ext. 1811 : 519-796-7442
Scott.Reaume@schukra.com

Read this... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...bar-fixed.html

Last edited by fwhomeboy; 02-20-22 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-20-22, 05:49 PM
LEXOTAMUS
8th Gear

Default Leggett gear source

Yes, the manufacturer is mentioned but there does not seem to be good solid contact info for where or how to buy the small quantity of gears we individual Lexus repairers needs. Seems some have just received repair parts from Leggett or its predecessor Schukra. That or a retailer that has them is what I and others seek. Tks, LEXOTAMUS

Originally Posted by Brewmyown
This thread is many years old so you probably won’t get a response but use the search on the forum to find the answer. There is a thread (or threads) that mention who the manufacturers is. I can’t remember off hand. I ended up emailing the manufacture of the lumbar mechanism and they sent me the replacement gears for free.
Old 02-20-22, 07:20 PM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

I believe it was Schukra. That sounds familiar. At the time I just emailed customer service and explained the car I had, the issue I had, etc. I may still have the envelope it came in. I’ll look a bit later in my garage in my bin full of stuff for the car. If I remember right, they didn’t even respond to my email and a few weeks later it arrived in the mail.
Old 02-20-22, 08:10 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmyown
I believe it was Schukra. That sounds familiar. At the time I just emailed customer service and explained the car I had, the issue I had, etc. I may still have the envelope it came in. I’ll look a bit later in my garage in my bin full of stuff for the car. If I remember right, they didn’t even respond to my email and a few weeks later it arrived in the mail.
Try the link I posted above and look at the address above. It might be a good place to start. Good Luck guys.
Old 02-26-22, 07:23 PM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...at-issues.html

In this thread, I took a picture of what I was sent
Old 02-27-22, 07:27 AM
LEXOTAMUS
8th Gear

I wasn't going to say any more until I actually received those parts, but she (Siyang Fernandes) responded to my email query promptly, apologized for her company's failed part, and said she was putting a small variety of gears into the post for me. I haven't seen them yet, and I believe they have to cross the border from Canada so they may take awhile (there's that trump effect, again), but they'll get here, no charge, from a responsible company. Wish they were all like that.
swfla (02-27-22)
Old 03-08-22, 11:49 AM
LEXOTAMUS
8th Gear

Repair kit received yesterday, instructions and grease included! Now to get at the old, damaged parts without tearing anything else up!
swfla (03-08-22)
Old 03-09-22, 05:49 AM
eelliiss
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXOTAMUS
Repair kit received yesterday, instructions and grease included! Now to get at the old, damaged parts without tearing anything else up!
Might you be able to post the instructions? The large rear panel of my driver seat is detached enough for me to fit my fingers through it. Do the instructions show how to disassemble the seat? Trying to repair it as it drives me nuts.

Quick Reply: LS460 lumbar adjuster repair