LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Chime when turning off car

Old 04-26-14, 07:46 PM
Tsmith1982
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chime when turning off car

Ok guys. I'm totally confused with this one. I have noticed sometimes when I turn my car off it will chime until I exit the vehicle and close the door and then sometimes it doesnt do this it at all. What's the catch?
Old 04-26-14, 08:06 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

You may have a defective door jam switch which seems to be a problem for many owners. I have the same issue and when I open the door and press the door jam switch and release it, the chiming stops.
Old 04-26-14, 08:10 PM
Tsmith1982
Driver

So when it chimes what is it thinking? I've read about the defective door jam switches and my lights always go off on their own. And it seems to only chine during the day when the lights are off
Old 04-26-14, 08:23 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Try not openning your driver's door until you have shut off the car. When my car does this most often I think I am often openning the door with my left hand while pushing the off button with my right hand. I haven't paid too much attention but would be interested to know if this works for you. Or maybe it is related to when I am unfastening the seatbelt.

Dave Mac
Old 04-26-14, 08:29 PM
Tsmith1982
Driver

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
Try not openning your driver's door until you have shut off the car. When my car does this most often I think I am often openning the door with my left hand while pushing the off button with my right hand. I haven't paid too much attention but would be interested to know if this works for you. Or maybe it is related to when I am unfastening the seatbelt.

Dave Mac
I was just thinking it might be related to me opening the door prior to turning off the car. But could be a seatbelt thing as well. I will have to look at this further
Old 04-26-14, 08:38 PM
Tsmith1982
Driver

Just checked your theory and you are correct. It dings if u open the car door prior to turning it off. I love this forum.
Old 04-26-14, 09:44 PM
Pkp1903
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It happens to me when I leave the moonroof up, turn off the car and open the door. The display shows "Moonroof Open ". Only having the car 3 weeks it gets me every time because it sounds like a normal alarm when you leave your lights on in any other car. No message is popping up on your dashboard screen?
Old 04-26-14, 09:52 PM
Tsmith1982
Driver

Originally Posted by Pkp1903
It happens to me when I leave the moonroof up, turn off the car and open the door. The display shows "Moonroof Open ". Only having the car 3 weeks it gets me every time because it sounds like a normal alarm when you leave your lights on in any other car. No message is popping up on your dashboard screen?
I've only had mine about 3 weeks as well. Loving it! I haven't left the sunroof open so I haven't gotten that chime yet.
Old 04-27-14, 05:30 PM
shrikelex
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always open the door with the engine running, I sorta like the chiming thing. The one I hate is the seat belt chime reminder, that thing goes into crazy mode when you don't buckle up, ding, ding ding They even have another alarm chime outside the car if you stop the LS and leave it in gear, that one is loud as I found out when I left my car in gear at the Vet, I had to bail seriously quick because my crazy cat took a dump in her cat carrier on the front seat, luckily the car was on level ground. That chime is constant and set off this dudes alarm on his Honda next to mine, pretty cool though.
Old 04-27-14, 09:15 PM
Tsmith1982
Driver

Lol! That's halarious
Old 02-23-15, 12:03 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This is from my GS... I'd imagine its similar.
Old 02-23-15, 01:33 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by shrikelex
The one I hate is the seat belt chime reminder, that thing goes into crazy mode when you don't buckle up, ding, ding ding They even have another alarm chime outside the car if you stop the LS and leave it in gear, that one is loud as I found out when I left my car in gear ....
You can defeat the belt chime in the personal settings. In the 2010+ it's a simple affair. Pre-2010 the dealer has to do it (but easy enough). Mine is defeated, I love not having the chime as I know if I do or do not have on my seat belt ... I don't need a chime.

As for the outside buzzer, yeah it's loud. I think this volume can be reduced by a little **** in the right knee bolster area. You have to get down on the floor and look up to see it.

Yes ... the cat dump part of this story is FUNNY!
Old 02-23-15, 01:57 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow i've heard the alarm, but didn't know that it was something outside of the car!?

as for the seat belt noise, my grandparents have learned that in their RX will stop dinging in 30 seconds and just leave their belts off! lol!
Old 02-24-15, 03:16 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by peteybabes
wow i've heard the alarm, but didn't know that it was something outside of the car!?

as for the seat belt noise, my grandparents have learned that in their RX will stop dinging in 30 seconds and just leave their belts off! lol!
That beep sound outside the car alerts you when your key is seperated from the car etc. Volume **** is underneath the driver foot well. Rotary **** next to tpms benchmark button
Old 02-24-15, 03:18 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 7milesout

You can defeat the belt chime in the personal settings. In the 2010+ it's a simple affair. Pre-2010 the dealer has to do it (but easy enough). Mine is defeated, I love not having the chime as I know if I do or do not have on my seat belt ... I don't need a chime.

As for the outside buzzer, yeah it's loud. I think this volume can be reduced by a little **** in the right knee bolster area. You have to get down on the floor and look up to see it.

Yes ... the cat dump part of this story is FUNNY!
2007 to 2009 drivers can use the Carista app and Bluetooth dongle to change settings as well without dealer. There's a thread on this topic

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chime when turning off car