LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Toyota dealer DISASTER!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-14, 03:33 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

It hurts to read this, and I am sorry that this happened.

This said, IMO, given the parts involved, this is a fairly straightforward repair with little-to-no repercussions on the value of your car. As such, I would just try to get it repaired by a competent shop, and of course never go back to that place.

For what it's worth, Sewell has been carrying painted bumpers for LS cars and other models, which should make this process even easier. I checked, and while I don't see any listed for your car, you may want to call to inquire. That would make your repair even simpler.
Old 04-16-14, 06:15 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by caha14
For what it's worth, Sewell has been carrying painted bumpers for LS cars and other models, which should make this process even easier. I checked, and while I don't see any listed for your car, you may want to call to inquire. That would make your repair even simpler.
There was a post on the 2nd Gen IS board about Sewell's painted bumper covers about a month ago. The guy was leery of the paint color match but ended up being thrilled with the end result.
Old 04-16-14, 06:54 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Tomorrow I'm headed back to the Toyota dealer to work out the details of what is going to be done. I know for a fact Flow Lexus will fix it. The car has to be taken to them 1hr away for an estimate.
Old 04-17-14, 06:18 AM
waynedog
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Let me share with you what happened when i took my 2004 LS430 to my local Toyota dealer a couple of years ago:
* my Lexus dealer is 30 miles away, my Toyota dealer is 1 mile away so I went there
* needed to have an oxygen sensor replaced which they said they could do easily for $100
* they called me and said my timing belt replacement was due in about 10k miles but they could do it now and save me $300 since they already were in the engine. I said ok.
* did not hear from them so called at 5 pm and they said it was not done yet
* did not hear from them the next day, called at 4 pm and they said "there was a problem"
* connected me to service manager who said they did the timing belt replacement wrong, took it for a test drive, and "blew the engine"
* they told me "no problem, we will replace your engine with a used one - happens all the time"
* to make a long story short, after much "negotiation" they purchased my LS430 from me and I had to go buy another car
* this is one of the largest Toyota dealers in the US. I had to threaten to sue them before they would buy my car from me.

So moral is be careful about assuming Toyota dealers can work on Lexus.
Old 04-17-14, 06:39 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Agree. On a car like my RX300 (which is basically a Toyota Highlander), I have no problem taking it to a Toyota dealer for mechanical issues/routine maintenance. But there is no Toyota equivalent for the IS/GS/LS so I'm sure they don't see many of them.

Do you want the local Toyota grease monkey learning on your LS? Not me!
Old 04-17-14, 08:06 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

second time??

first time...shame on them...
second time...shame on you...
Old 04-18-14, 02:25 AM
geekhou05
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've taken my former LS430 to the Toyota dealer for two timing belt changes and never had a problem. However, they do not even want to look at my LS460 - I tried.
Old 04-18-14, 09:16 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by geekhou05
I've taken my former LS430 to the Toyota dealer for two timing belt changes and never had a problem. However, they do not even want to look at my LS460 - I tried.
Hmmm that's strange. My Toyota dealer has been more than happy to take on my LS. They did a brake flush for me using Techstream and will do anything except warranty or recall work because Lexus corporate won't allow it.
Old 04-23-14, 04:36 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Another Update…
Dropped the car off at Flow Lexus, Winston Salem. I'm looking at close to 2 weeks to get it fixed as the parts are all having to come from California.

Damage is up close to 7000.00, the L emblem on the front is over a grand. They are replacing the entire Radar Cruise and Pre-Colision Sensors, then it needs programming.

I'm just glad that Flow is doing the work. ANYTHING that was touched or touched a broken part will be replaced with new parts. The entire front end excluding headlights will be replaced, all inner foam as well as bolts and clips. They are doing it right…the said my car is in a "Clean" Room. Where no other cars are near it and it is climate controlled.
Old 04-23-14, 04:40 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Good luck! I hope you get it back better than before
Old 04-23-14, 07:28 PM
mk4umha
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slimjimtel
Another Update…
Dropped the car off at Flow Lexus, Winston Salem. I'm looking at close to 2 weeks to get it fixed as the parts are all having to come from California.

Damage is up close to 7000.00, the L emblem on the front is over a grand. They are replacing the entire Radar Cruise and Pre-Colision Sensors, then it needs programming.

I'm just glad that Flow is doing the work. ANYTHING that was touched or touched a broken part will be replaced with new parts. The entire front end excluding headlights will be replaced, all inner foam as well as bolts and clips. They are doing it right…the said my car is in a "Clean" Room. Where no other cars are near it and it is climate controlled.
You going to take your Lexus there for a third try in the future?
Old 04-23-14, 08:47 PM
LexFather

Very sorry to hear. I would never take my Lexus to a Toyota dealership.
Old 04-23-14, 08:56 PM
shrikelex
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Very sorry to hear. I would never take my Lexus to a Toyota dealership.
Agree, sorry to here, Sounds like the driver got a little acceleration happy, I've seen worse thing happen to cars getting towed though, crunch, lol, dang,
Old 04-24-14, 08:32 PM
midwest2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slimjimtel
So, I'm the proud 2 week owner of a 2010 LS600hL only 16,000 miles on it.

Lexus agreed to put new tires on the car due to it being a CPO car and I wasn't happy about the tires on it. So, I decided to get it aligned since I don't know when if ever it had been aligned. My Lexus dealer is about 80 miles from me. I decided to take it to Mike Johnson Toyota, Hickory NC.

Well, 5 minutes in, they WRECKED the car. The guy ran it straight into the alignment machine. Did I mention it was Mike Johnson Toyota, Hickory NC. Tore up the bumper, cracked the upper chrome and lower black grill.

An alignment...that's ALL I wanted...a Friggin' alignment!!

So, here is where I stand with them...
They want to fix the car at their shop...NOT going to happen!
They now have to flatbed the car to Flow Lexus, Winston Salem, NC (don't want them putting miles on it)
Car must be flatbed BACK to me
Flow will do the repairs.
Broke my 89.00 Lexus vanity plate too!!! Paid 69.00 at sewel CL discount. Shhh they don't need to know.
They are working up a figure to pay me for depreciation on the vehicle.

You cannot imagine how pissed off I was, I was seriously ready to strangle someone. I totally understand traffic accidents, but man!!! This was just ridiculously careless.

FYI, I think the guy broke the alignment machine too....I think he will be SO fired!!

Sad thing is, this is the second screw up from Mike Johnson Toyota, they did an EFI clean on my wife's RX350 and didn't put the fuel lines back properly and 2 hours from home the car started rapidly dumping fuel on the exhaust pipes. Could have blown the car up. Thank goodness the car immediately shut down and went into limp mode. Left her stranded, again thank goodness for Lexus Roadside assistance, they were awesome.

Needless to say, never again will I take our Lexus' to Toyota nor Mike Johnson Toyota. Even for something as simple as an alignment.

Any thoughts on what you think is fair for depreciation?
The older I get, the less things like this bother me. They broke it, they agreed to fix it. Have you ever accidently broken anything? I have a job where I get the opportunity to see real tragedy in peoples lives. A smashed-up 460,,,,, it wouldn't ruin my day.
Old 04-25-14, 09:08 PM
shrikelex
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by midwest2
The older I get, the less things like this bother me. They broke it, they agreed to fix it. Have you ever accidently broken anything? I have a job where I get the opportunity to see real tragedy in peoples lives. A smashed-up 460,,,,, it wouldn't ruin my day.
Totally agree, I mean not to downplay SlimJ, I'm sure it was upsetting, but for me, if it gets smashed and I want to keep it, I know a few auto yards in LA where you can buy a brand new front or rear clip and have it welded back together, like new again, lol

Quick Reply: Toyota dealer DISASTER!!!