LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 vs Cadillac XTS

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-15, 08:39 PM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cadillac is an OK luxury alternative. The exterior is legitimate, however, inside the interior you can still see remnants of cheap american car plastics. The attention to detail is lacking, and I hate the CUE multimedia system which is unresponsive and leaves fingerprints everywhere. The only car I would ever consider investing in would be the CTS-V Coupe.
Old 08-24-15, 06:36 AM
NormV
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maying856
Cadillac is an OK luxury alternative. The exterior is legitimate, however, inside the interior you can still see remnants of cheap american car plastics. The attention to detail is lacking, and I hate the CUE multimedia system which is unresponsive and leaves fingerprints everywhere. The only car I would ever consider investing in would be the CTS-V Coupe.
The only plastic available on an XTS from the front seat is the map pocket and speaker surround if I remember correctly. There is one piece of padded vinyl on the door and more padded vinyl on underside of the dash. Both the doors and dash finish with leather, aluminum, and wood. The seats are fully wrapped in Opus leather, not just seating surfaces.
Old 08-24-15, 08:56 AM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The XTS interior is Cadillac's best effort yet (better than their allegedly more upmarket CTS). It's legit. I'm looking forward to seeing if they can keep it going with the new CT6, which will compete more directly with the LS, being larger and RWD.

But Cadillac has a long way to go before they can match Lexus's reliability and durability record.
Old 08-24-15, 07:04 PM
NormV
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dal20402
The XTS interior is Cadillac's best effort yet (better than their allegedly more upmarket CTS). It's legit. I'm looking forward to seeing if they can keep it going with the new CT6, which will compete more directly with the LS, being larger and RWD.

But Cadillac has a long way to go before they can match Lexus's reliability and durability record.
That may be so from the back seat, but the driving that most of us do Lexus is falling behind and resting on it's laurels.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Super-Luxury-Cars/
Old 08-24-15, 07:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Again, Lexus forum. If you want to talk to a bunch of people who agree with you?..join a Cadillac forum.
Old 08-24-15, 07:40 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by NormV
That may be so from the back seat, but the driving that most of us do Lexus is falling behind and resting on it's laurels.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...r-Luxury-Cars/
What do power and driving engagement (the two main criticisms against the LS460) have to do with durability and reliability?

For a car used as a freeway cruiser, rather than a canyon carver or shotgun accelerator (although I don't think anyone would complain about the ease of merging into freeway traffic or passing other vehicles), the LS460 does a great job. One could argue that some of its European counterparts handle better and have a better road feel, but the interior comfort, ride quality, fit and finish, material quality are top-notch.

When you add the LS's reliability and durability, and (at least for the LS460, pricing), it's easy to understand why the LS460 is a desirable choice among cars in its class.

IOW, I'd compare the XTS to the LS460 based on the merits of each, rather than trying to show that the LS460 is inferior to other luxury cars. IMO, it isn't, and the argument doesn't help the case for the XTS.
Old 08-24-15, 07:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Not to mention there is nothing dynamic aBout a FWD CTS, V Sport or not.
Old 08-24-15, 08:25 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

If resting on it's laurels places it in the number 5 position after an almost 10 year run where the others have built new cars from the ground up twice over is quit astonishing for any car.

If there are going to be compromises to be made it should be tilted towards towards luxury not sportiness. Most car manufactures have lost sight of this philosophy including Lexus.
Old 08-24-15, 09:25 PM
Trumpanche
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Laminated glass

Originally Posted by waynedog
Well, I went and drove the XTS. Very nice car. If I did not own an LS, I would really like it. But (as ther other wise men above have correctly stated), the XTS is no LS. My LS is a much better riding, handling, and looking car at 7 years old and 90k miles than the nearly new XTS. No comparasion. So my only real option is to upgrade to a newer LS. I would keep mine but it has the dreaded wind noise issue that was not resolved with the McRaney fix (I did it precisely per directions and made no difference). Having previously owned LS400 and 430's that were very quiet, the wind noise on my 460 is very noticeable and takes away from the overall experience of the 460. I guess I will look at newer 460's.
One thing to note on an older 460 like yours and mine is that they don't have the laminated side window glass. Your next one might be better on the side window buffeting noises...
Old 08-24-15, 09:59 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Trumpanche
One thing to note on an older 460 like yours and mine is that they don't have the laminated side window glass. Your next one might be better on the side window buffeting noises...
Confirmed. I test drove two 2007s with the tempered side window glass, and bought a late-build 2008 (3/08) that includes the laminated glass. The difference is quite noticeable.
Old 08-25-15, 10:30 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

but the driving that most of us do Lexus is falling behind and resting on it's laurels.
Considering that Lexus is as good as it is, it can afford to rest on it's laurels. They're that good. BMW and MB may not rest on their laurels, and that may be half their problem when it comes to reliabilty.
Old 08-25-15, 12:29 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Thumbs up

Well said! The Lexus LS trumps any Cadillac. I owned a Cadillac with all the problems that came with it.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Again, Lexus forum. If you want to talk to a bunch of people who agree with you?..join a Cadillac forum.
Old 08-25-15, 06:08 PM
Dryrunner
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When the XTS was first coming out, I was all in. I read all the hype and reviews. Then I went to the LA Auto show and sat in it. When I closed the door, I knew the car was just another bad attempt at copying Lexus and the Germans. I got out and never looked back. So happy with Lexus.
Old 08-25-15, 06:16 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Dryrunner
When the XTS was first coming out, I was all in. I read all the hype and reviews. Then I went to the LA Auto show and sat in it. When I closed the door, I knew the car was just another bad attempt at copying Lexus and the Germans. I got out and never looked back. So happy with Lexus.
Yes indeed. I sat in one as well in Vancouver at the auto show and it wasn't hard to see the cheap material choices. Even the Hyundai Equus and the KIA K900 felt better in workmanship and materials.