LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Ls 460 l awd 2009

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-14, 09:57 AM
bw0w
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls 460 l awd 2009

I am about to be a first time Lexus owner. I have 2 options right now and can't decide and don't know the pros and cons of either. Just looking for some opinions and it might help me make my decision.

I am looking at 2009 LS 460 L AWD and 2013 GS 350 AWD, both are same price range and same amount of mileage, both have clean titles and clean carfaxes as well. I really like both, since I've never owned either one, I need help. Should I go for the 2013 GS 350 just b/c it's newer? Or will the 2009 LS be just as solid in performance even with the age difference?

thx in advance
Old 03-28-14, 10:05 AM
PeteinPA
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

bw0w, these are 2 very different cars from a driving dynamics perspective. I came out of a 08 Gs350 ( which you really cannot compare the the newest gen) into an 08 LS. The driving difference is significant.

The only advice I have is to drive both and decide which you like better. Take your time on the test drives and if possible try to do them back to back, are they both at the same dealership?

Both a solid performers and reliable, check out the 4th Gen GS forum as well to get some additional insight to the current GS.
Old 03-28-14, 10:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

you really have to drive the cars first and see how you like them. the ls ride much softer but the gs drives a lot more fun (handling). the gs is not slow but you can't beat the tq and smoothness of the v8 in the ls460. and space too, if you need rear cabin space it's huge difference between the two

2009 ls is not OLD by any means, i don't think it's much difference from when it was new, if that's what you mean by "performance". but of course, if you talk about handling, the gs wins
Old 03-28-14, 11:43 AM
Mitty
Rookie

I just went through the same exact process/dilemma a few months back. I actually cross shopped the following....New 2014 Honda Accord, Used 2013 GS350 AWD, and Used 2010-2011 LS460 AWD.

Why Accord you say? Well, to me nobody really NEEDS anything more in a sedan than a Honda Accord (IMHO). It's like the no-brainer, safe bet, and really the answer to about 80% of what car should I get questions...."buy a Camry or Accord". So I test drove the top of the line Accord to serve as my benchmark, and you know what, I was really impressed. I hate Front WD cars, and I've never liked Honda's road noise, this latest Accord is a bit quieter (still too loud) and the fit and finish is pretty darn good. Also, loved, loved, loved the lane changing system they have. The passenger side mirror has a camera in it and whenever you use your right turn signal the NAV screen gives you a shot out the side of the car with 3 lines in the video. One line is the mirror, one line is the back of your car, and one line is 5 feet behind your car. Lexus needs to poach this tech, but I digress. So the benchmark Accord was good, very good, and my deal was that I would then test drive both the GS and LS and IF they were better, AND their "betterness" justified paying more than THE benchmark, I would get one.

GS: Great car, nice ride, good performance, no more room inside than an Accord. Bottom line, I just didn't see this car justifying the premium over the Accord. Don't get me wrong, it’s pretty much better than the Accord in every way, but I just didn't think it was $10,000+ better. Again, IMHO.

LS: Great car, great ride, great performance, more room (at least in the back seat). It really only took a few feet in the test drive to sell me on this car. It looks great walking up to it, and feels just so nice to sit and drive. I drove several and came away from each one with the same feeling. They are special cars, better in pretty much every category. You have the luxury, and nice ride, and effortless performance....like the car isn't really even trying and it's down an on ramp like a rocket. I never wanted a track oriented vehicle, I wanted luxury, and a great ride, and performance when I want it.

To me the LS is A LOT different than a GS. They are just very different tools...like a violin versus a cello. The GS seems like it's maybe the top dog in a very different contest or class than the LS. And for some the LS is maybe even midpack in its class. But for me, the LS has the right blend in the highest end of the competition.

Do you own due diligence, and test drive all you can.

My vote...LS. Get as new as you can afford, and pop for a CPO. Also, if you can afford, extend the CPO. I have a 2011 with 23,000 miles, but have great warranty coverage until 2020 or 125,000 miles. While these are great vehicles, they won't be cheap to repair if needed.

Good luck.
Old 03-28-14, 11:58 AM
bw0w
5th Gear

Thank you for all the quick responses, I was more 60/40 on leaning towards the LS. I had some second guessing just b/c it was "2009" vs "2013". Unfortunately both of these cars are out of state, but I have test driven them both locally. And they handle just like you guys describe. I do plan on getting an extended warranty on it as well.
Old 03-28-14, 06:31 PM
pmiller
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Mitty. I've owed an Accord, Toyota Avalon, and now an LS LWB. The LS is like no other car. I cannot imagine anyone being disappointed owning an LS. I don't think I will ever own another car model.
Old 03-28-14, 08:40 PM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I think Mitty gave an excellent answer. The Accord is no doubt the smartest buy. Then second the GS. The gs is more than accord but it will also have a higher resale value.
The LS has a lot more things that could go wrong especially with the air suspension. But how long will you keep the car? The newer GS may hold its value longer.
Years ago I had a LS400, loved the car but not the boat ride. Then IS300, loved the driving and looks but not the cramped feeling in a small car. The new GS seemed the car for me.
I really wanted the GS because everyone said it’s more fun to drive. And I don’t like a real soft ride or boat feel.
I went to test drive the 2013 GS and 2010 LS. I was sure I would love the way the GS drives much better and end up with the GS.
They happened to be parked next to each other. Just walking up to the cars I could tell the LS was in a much higher class. GS is a nice car, but from the side I may not even give it a second look with all the other nice cars on the road today. The LS I would definitely look twice. And the interior looked so much better and a higher quality.
I only test drove the LS. On this one I did not like the exterior color but knew it was the car for me. I should have at least test drove the GS.
But I was pushed for time and I could not get past the looks of the two cars. Knew right away that if I didn’t get the LS, I would wish I had the LS whenever I saw one on the highway.
The GS has all the options I would want in a car. The LS maybe a few too many and maybe more expensive to fix.
But the LS just looks and feels much more luxurious.
So I ended up finding and buying a 2011 LS sport in the color I wanted.
It really depends on what looks you like and the driving experience you want and what value you place on each one.
I properly should not have even posted since I have not driven actually driven a GS. But just another opinion anyway.