LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Move from 2008 to 2012?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-14, 07:08 PM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Move from 2008 to 2012?

Well....haven't posted on here in quite awhile, but ran across what I think is a pretty good deal today and wondering what folks in here think about it. I currently have a 2008 LS460 that I bought new and it is really still a very nice car, paid for, and about 77000 miles on it. It also has an extended warranty until 100,000 miles. This is the longest I've had a car as I usually make a change after 3 or 4 years. Ran across a 2012 LS460 today at a dealership with 8600 miles on it. Yes, 8600 miles. Isn't that pretty low? I had been looking for a model in the final year with the old grill (not a big fan of the new front grill), and so this one rolled in and they called me. I'm just concerned if I hold my current car too much longer, the value is clearly going to be soon next to nothing and so seems like a good time to make a move to a newer model. I enjoy the interior room of the LS over any of the other models and so not sure I have much interest in anything other than the LS. Oh, cost for the car is about $55k and is pretty loaded. Thoughts? Warning signs?
Old 03-22-14, 07:19 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Well the lion's share of depreciation on your current car has already happened. Obviously it will continue to depreciate, but not as fast as the depreciation on that 2012.

As far as the price on that one, I'd plug in all the specifics on Edmunds, KBB and NADA and see what the average value is. That will give you a good idea of what you should be paying.

Keep us posted!
Old 03-22-14, 07:29 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From what we've seen recently, some things such as the Mark Levinson sound system are quite as good on the newer models. . .

What do you mean by pretty loaded? which packages? There are several positive reasons to switch as well
Old 03-22-14, 08:11 PM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Originally Posted by peteybabes
From what we've seen recently, some things such as the Mark Levinson sound system are quite as good on the newer models. . .

What do you mean by pretty loaded? which packages? There are several positive reasons to switch as well
Well, comes with the Cold Weather Package, the Comfort Plus Package, and the Luxury Value Package. I'm not crazy about the exterior color, Deep Sea Mica (dark blue?), but the wife seemed to like it, so a plus there. The interior is grey with an interesting color wood interior. It does have the Mark Levinson sound system, so in the later car models the ML system's weren't as nice or dependable? I do have the ML in my current car and never experienced any problems with it.

I do have a question about the later models. For my 2008 I put in the Nav override and it has been a fantastic addition. Is that needed in the later models such as the 2012? If so, I guess I would need to get that added. I assume they are still sold?
Old 03-22-14, 08:46 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

I don't want to bash the newer ML sound system, it was that some complained recently that it was quieter than the previous generation of the LS460.

You will now get such things as front passenger memory seats, the rear view mirrors with the blinkers, "eco" mode, and numerous other standard features not previously available if you move into the 2012.

I'm subscribed to this thread and am interested in what you find as i'm considering a 2012 as my next upgrade in a few years as i have still not fallen in love with the new look completely.
Old 03-23-14, 07:10 AM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

I'm subscribed to this thread and am interested in what you find as i'm considering a 2012 as my next upgrade in a few years as i have still not fallen in love with the new look completely.
I hear you regarding not having "fallen in love" with the new look of the LS460. That is why I'm giving this 2012 model a very strong look as I believe it was the last year of the previous design and I just like that look better. I have seen the 2012 in person and it looks quite good, I just need to test drive it and make sure there isn't some crazy thing going on with it. I'll report back what I find. Thanks for mentioning those items that were not on my 2008 version. I just went and cleaned up my 2008, and dang, it sure is a nice car. I guess if it doesn't work out, I am still driving a very nice car.
Old 03-23-14, 07:54 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

It does have the Mark Levinson sound system, so in the later car models the ML system's weren't as nice or dependable?
Actually, it's apparently more dependable because some say that Lexus lowered the power to the subwoofer of the amplifier at higher volumes. The result is less bass as the volume increases, but it's all speculation, as I have yet to actually see definitive proof that this happened, but it makes sense. There were apparently lots of amplifiers failing. This was a common theme in BMW Logic 7 Harmon Kardon systems as well.

So, in a nutshell - more dependability from the ML, but not as nice sounding. Again, no proof that I've seen.

You can add me to the list of those who do not like the new look of the LS - especially the front grill. ....Does the mouth of this guy look familiar? (I believe Arnold Swarzeneggers response was, "You're one ugly Mother*****er"):
Attached Images  

Last edited by roadfrog; 03-23-14 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-23-14, 10:14 AM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
You can add me to the list of those who do not like the new look of the LS - especially the front grill. ....Does the mouth of this guy look familiar? (I believe Arnold Swarzeneggers response was? "You're one ugly Mother*****er"):
LOL....funny. There is a resemblance for sure. Yup, not big on that new grill for sure.

I've never had a blue car before (Deep Sea Mica, what a name), how does that color show dirt and nicks? I have the charcoal gray color now, and boy does that show dirt and nicks. But, I do like the way it looks all cleaned up.
Old 03-23-14, 12:37 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2012 Deep Sea Mica

The color does show dust easily, but overall it is easy to maintain. My previous Lexus was Deep Sea Mica. Good color if the car is garaged. If it sits outside overnight then there will definitely be more cleaning involved to keep it looking nice.
Old 03-23-14, 04:15 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

If you don't like the color, why drop $55 k on something that doesn't speak to you ?

Personally I prefer the newer design so 2013+ holds dearer to my heart. If I was in your shoes, I would keep the car I have..since you took the depreciation hit on one, why take it one another...that is not that much different.
Old 03-23-14, 05:07 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

IMHO the Deep Sea Mica is a gorgeous color and will be just as much of a pain in the *** to keep clean as Black or Smoky Granite Mica

I think that paired with the cashmere or alabaster interior you've got a winner on your hands!

Last edited by peteybabes; 03-23-14 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-23-14, 05:58 PM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

IMHO the Deep Sea Mica is a gorgeous color and will just as much of a pain in the *** to keep clean as Black or Smoky Granite Mica

I think that paired with the cashmere or alabaster interior you've got a winner on your hands!
Well thanks.....hoping to test drive it tomorrow. Obviously I'm familiar with the LS460 ride and all, but need to make sure nothing crazy with this particular car. The interior is the light gray with a very interesting looking wood. Not sure the exact name of the wood. Anyway, I'll see how the test drive goes in the AM.
Old 03-23-14, 06:03 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

I'm interested!

Post a picture of the exterior/interior if possible! (would like to see that gray interior)
Old 03-23-14, 06:06 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

What did you find out on Edmunds, KBB and NADA?
Old 03-23-14, 06:12 PM
pmiller
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to add my 2 cents...
When I bought my 2010 a little over a year ago, the 2013 was in the showroom. I thought to myself, I will have to buy the 2012 next because I cannot stand the new grill. Over the past year or so, the new grill has grown on me. I think it could live with it. I believe my bigger issue would be the joystick thing for the controls. I had a loaner when mine was in for warranty work (one side of the car was higher than the other) and the loaner was a 2013 ES. It had the joystick thing to navigate thru the radio, conditioned air, navigation system, etc. I found it a pain. Sometimes when engineers think they are making things simpler, they actually are making them more difficult to operate. Again, this is my opinion.

Quick Reply: Move from 2008 to 2012?