LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

3rd party extended warranties

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-14, 02:38 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

The credit union warranties that I have noticed seem to fall under CUNA Mutual or something like that. My 460 had that company and I never used it, but they seemed on the up and up. Plus the credit union backs them, so I think if you got screwed, the CU may be able to be an advocate for you so their name doesn't get dragged in the mud too. The one's you hear on tv, radio or pop up ads might not be a good look. Credit unions seem to offer the best rates anyway for loans, so might as well. My 460 had 44K miles on it. I didnt' want to pay 2K for the Lexus extended, so I went with platinum CUNA which was $1K for Platinum with zero deductibile and added 60K to my warranty (104K mile warranty)

Here is the link to the exact plan I had with my credit union https://www.kfcu.org/assets/files/26...f-005056a30070
Old 03-20-14, 06:48 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm not sure about a warranty backed by a Credit Union, so I'll leave that out of my comments. My experience with a 3rd party warranty was a disaster! They found reasons not to cover anything. The only saving grace was that the Lexus dealer that sold me the crappy warranty was sorry for being involved with the scam and covered some things that the "warranty" refused. Never again!
Steve
Old 03-24-14, 01:57 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Update!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ml#post8447840
Old 05-27-14, 01:52 PM
PeteinPA
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The Warranty i got when I bought the car from Toyota is about to expire. I am looking to replace it and have been talking to a couple of nearby Lexus Dealers. 2 of them gave me pricing on a warranty from CNA. One of the dealers said they were the plan administrator which means I do not have to deal with CNA directly, just take the care to the dealership and they deal with it. I am awaiting the "fine" print before making a decision.

Does anyone out there have experience good or bad with CNA?.
Old 05-27-14, 01:58 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Have you discussed "extending" the current, unexpired warranty (it's a Lexus/Toyota warranty)? The way it was explained to me is that they cancel the existing warranty and refund it pro rata and then issue a new warranty.
Old 05-27-14, 02:17 PM
krypto89
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

just in case somebody reads this. i purchased an allstate premium 3 year warranty from the dealership (non-lexus) where i bought my pre-owned 2007. cost me 2k but it covered my 4k control arm replacement. they sent an adjuster to confirm the repair was legit since it cost so much. so if you have a dealership that gives you an extended warranty option and its allstate, don't hesitate to get it....

Last edited by krypto89; 05-27-14 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-27-14, 03:00 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

So otherwise would you have had to ship the car back to the mainland?!

Yea, nice outcome krypto, chalk one up for the good guys!
Old 05-27-14, 03:09 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not a fan of 3rd party warranty.
The biggest one Warranty Gold went out of business.
You never know.
Old 05-27-14, 07:10 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I canceled mine 3 days after I purchased one through my credit union. It's been over a month since I canceled and I still haven't received any of my money back.
Old 05-27-14, 08:41 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
I canceled mine 3 days after I purchased one through my credit union. It's been over a month since I canceled and I still haven't received any of my money back.
LOL!! Wow....sounds familiar to my story. I cancelled mine in February and same problem. I've been on the phone with them three times and each time..."cheque is on the way".

Third party policies are a joke for the most part. Studies and research shows that fewer than 20% of those who purchase them ever get their money return in repair services. I would imagine that with reputable Japanese brand vehicles, that the return is even lower.
Old 05-28-14, 03:00 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by roadfrog
LOL!! Wow....sounds familiar to my story. I cancelled mine in February and same problem. I've been on the phone with them three times and each time..."cheque is on the way".

Third party policies are a joke for the most part. Studies and research shows that fewer than 20% of those who purchase them ever get their money return in repair services. I would imagine that with reputable Japanese brand vehicles, that the return is even lower.
I'm sorry you're in the same boat man. Good luck on getting your refund. I made it well known to my credit union who I have used for many years that I wasn't at all happy they sold me something from such a shady company I'm getting the same promises you are.
Old 05-28-14, 05:07 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
I'm sorry you're in the same boat man. Good luck on getting your refund. I made it well known to my credit union who I have used for many years that I wasn't at all happy they sold me something from such a shady company I'm getting the same promises you are.
It just reassures me that I made the right decision to not get the warranty. If this is any indication of what I might have faced when dealing with an actual claim or something......
Old 06-05-14, 10:45 AM
PeteinPA
Intermediate

I ended up purchasing a Platinum Lexus Warranty from one of my local dealers. 2/yr additional 50K coverage. It was a little pricey but in the end it was worth the piece of mind and the ability to transfer it should I decide to sell is also a plus. Thanks CL.
Old 06-05-14, 10:46 AM
PeteinPA
Intermediate

I ended up purchasing a Platinum Lexus Warranty from one of my local dealers. 2/yr 50K coverage. It was a little pricey but i n the end it was worth the piece of mind and the ability to transfer it should I decide to sell is a plus. Thanks CL.
Old 06-06-14, 10:00 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by roadfrog
It just reassures me that I made the right decision to not get the warranty. If this is any indication of what I might have faced when dealing with an actual claim or something......
Any word on your refund? Mine is nowhere to be seen...

Quick Reply: 3rd party extended warranties