LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Good deal on 2011 Lexus LS 460 L w/Exec package?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-14, 10:34 AM
twadem
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good deal on 2011 Lexus LS 460 L w/Exec package?

Hi,

For the last couple weeks, and since test driving one, I have been in the market for a pre-owned LS460. I am in AZ and I found a 2011 LS40 L w/exec package 30k mi CPO for $49k and it is located in SoCal. Never purchased a car out of state, so not sure how sales tax works and the entire process. Can someone chime in with details as to how this works? Also, is that a fair deal for the vehicle? The CPO thing is a little weird to me. It adds to the price and why would a 30k mi Lexus need that much warrant work over a 3 year period.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 03-17-14, 11:48 AM
lexlife66
Driver School Candidate

The dealer in CA should take care of your AZ taxes. I recently purchased my Lexus in NYC and I live in VA. They gave me temp tags to get back to VA and took care of the VA sales tax and the registration for me. I will let others chime in on the cost. I purchased a 2008 Lexus LS360 L with Executive Seating; 60K miles for $32K. No CPO. I did purchase an extended warranty which already paid for itself as my rear struts were making noise so Lexus dealer got approval from my warranty company to fully replace both: $4K for replacements and my warranty only cost me $2,100.
Old 03-17-14, 12:03 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by lexlife66
The dealer in CA should take care of your AZ taxes. I recently purchased my Lexus in NYC and I live in VA. They gave me temp tags to get back to VA and took care of the VA sales tax and the registration for me. I will let others chime in on the cost. I purchased a 2008 Lexus LS360 L with Executive Seating; 60K miles for $32K. No CPO. I did purchase an extended warranty which already paid for itself as my rear struts were making noise so Lexus dealer got approval from my warranty company to fully replace both: $4K for replacements and my warranty only cost me $2,100.
Yeah same here..bought mine out of state and dealer gave me temp tags and sent my paperwork to my home state DMV for processing. Plates came in the mail
Old 03-17-14, 12:05 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have purchased all of my Lexus out of state (IL) and the Lexus dealer i went to worked out all of the tax information and even the license plate! You will find that different states have different laws, and usually the dealership will work with you depending on what you choose. I recommend calling and speaking to the finance department at the Lexus dealership with this beauty your looking at. (My car was a 2007 Executive with 14,900 miles for $39K, and i ended up buying the 3 year platinum warranty in addition and was glad to have it as i had a window motor break within 2 weeks)
Old 03-17-14, 12:28 PM
twadem
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the quick and informative responses. Sales tax where I live is 7.8% and in Santa Monica it is 10.25%. If I had it shipped (not sure what bearing that has on where the sales tax is paid), it would cost me $700-$1000, so an added cost. Santa Monica is a short flight away or a 5 -6 hour drive, so I would be more comfortable viewing the car in person rather than having it shipped. Spoke to a sales person at the dealership and he said the car is in great condition, but still would need to see for myself. Here is an email response from the sales person regarding sales tax:

Hi Tim
Thank you for your email, as I mention we could ship the car to AZ and you go to DMV and pay the sales tax and register it or pay the sales tax here and drive it. As for financing we try to get it done here through B of A and mach it if not you can do it in AZ too. My whole concern is to sell it to you since there are other people interested in the car and it is on line.

Paul Pourhashem
Fleet Sales Manager
Lexus Santa Monica
Old 03-17-14, 12:48 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

He's not joking when he says a lot of people are interested. Used Execs. are HOT!!!

I had three people coming in to look at my car the day i bought it, and they had to keep the SOLD sign in the window to keep them from asking.

BTW that seems like a pretty good deal, and I flew out for my first car, (one-way tickets are normally not bad), and would recommend getting out to test drive that baby.
Old 03-17-14, 01:24 PM
CJITTY

I would find someone you trust to fly out with you so THEY can drive YOU back, while you are in the back seat...ROADDDDDDD TRIPPPPP!!!!!

If I had to do it all over again, I would of paid the sales tax and all that locally instead of letting the dealership do it..they did mess up and actually sent me a $350 check because they overcharged me in their tax estimation (that never happens). So I leave the dealership with a loan for purchase price only, less T/T/T
Old 03-17-14, 01:58 PM
twadem
Driver School Candidate

That's funny. Yeah, have someone drive back with me in the back with my bottle of champagne. Yeah, I wonder how often I would use the exec package.

From the various resplies on this thread and from what I have read on the internet, it sounds like I would pay sales tax in my home state, hoever, the dealer says different. As suggested by peteybabes, probably a good idea to call the finance department to get the correct information.
Old 03-17-14, 02:14 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went brought my car out of state at a Lexus dealership and it was a pain in the butt. They had no clue what they were doing. Brought it from southbay Lexus in Torrence. They said Lexus financial wouldn't collect taxes on it and I had to do that myself including registration. Don't go through uship to ship a car. Go directly to a shipping company and book it that way. Took me almost 3 weeks to get my car.
Old 03-17-14, 03:10 PM
twadem
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to hear that. That is what concerns me. Making the 6 hour drive or 90 minute flight and it being a total cluster... Like a lt of transations/purchases, it's all roses before they have your money and a different story afterwards - at least that has been my experience. The sales person explained to me that I would need to pay Santa Monica sales tax, which adds a cool $1k to the purchase (9.75% vs. 7.8%), but he said he would work with me. Not sure if that means a few hundred or what not. I was considering asking for 4% reduction or appox $2k less. It is CPO so I figure there is some wiggle room. Another Lexus dealer previously told me that they pay $2800 to have the car certified. Doubt it costs them that much in house, however, I may have no idea what I am talking about.

Any thoughts on how much wiggle room in the price of a used car listed of $50K? I know there are a lot of variables involved, but just curious if anyone else has had any luck with that amount of price reduction. The car is a lease return if that helps or matters.
Old 03-17-14, 03:31 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by lexlife66
I purchased a 2008 Lexus LS360 L with Executive Seating; 60K miles for $32K. No CPO. I did purchase an extended warranty which already paid for itself as my rear struts were making noise so Lexus dealer got approval from my warranty company to fully replace both: $4K for replacements and my warranty only cost me $2,100.
That's fantastic. I'm in the same situation, looking for a third party extended warranty company that will actually pay for repairs. Most specifically exclude struts (shock absorbers). What company did you buy your warranty from - I'd like to give them a call.

Last edited by sktn77a; 03-17-14 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-17-14, 04:43 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Buying car out of state

If you are a non-resident i.e. California, they do the deal as a non-resident and you pay no tax to them or California. You only pay Tax to the state and county in which it will be registered. Just have them sign the paper work over to you and you can go to your local DMV when you get home. You will need the temporary sticker/plate though. I did this when I was in the military and stationed in California. My Home state was Maryland. The State where I live now I have never bought a car. My car purchases have been from another state. I have taken the paper work to my local DMV and paid it there. When I purchased my three different Lexus' the dealer offered to take care of all the paperwork for me and they paid the state to Overnight my plates to me. They picked up the overnight delivery fee. It's your choice how you want to handle it. Also, when on trips to other states if I make any kind of purchase that is somewhat pricey, I have the store ship it to my home state so I do not have to pay their state and local taxes. I live in Delaware and we do not have a sales tax.
Old 03-17-14, 05:05 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Valley101's transaction was virtually identical to mine, and I had no complaints/problems other than a small hold-up on my states DMV.

Hey a flight to another city is a cheap investment compared to buying a dud, and I've had to come home empty-handed before. Worst case scenario you get to hang out in California for a day or two.

As for wiggle room on my price, I think I got maybe $500 off. You basically got to take these cars when they land in your lap or they will disappear fast!

I'll look forward to another Executive Class member on the site.

Good luck!
Old 03-17-14, 05:41 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by peteybabes
Valley101's transaction was virtually identical to mine, and I had no complaints/problems other than a small hold-up on my states DMV.

Hey a flight to another city is a cheap investment compared to buying a dud, and I've had to come home empty-handed before. Worst case scenario you get to hang out in California for a day or two.

As for wiggle room on my price, I think I got maybe $500 off. You basically got to take these cars when they land in your lap or they will disappear fast!

I'll look forward to another Executive Class member on the site.

Good luck!
My dealer knocked off $500 more off the final negotiated price to cover two one way tix for the wife and I to fly up...price was already good..they wanted to make it happen and did
Old 03-17-14, 05:53 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Twadem, here is what I would do. Post a thread is the Southwest Regional forum and explain the situation. A CL member might either know of the car or would be willing to stop by the dealership and take a look at it for you. Obviously you are not getting a professional PPI, but at least its getting a visual once over.

As far as the process, I would advise you to stay away from any advice from the dealer or Lexus. Call your insurance agent or company, or as a last resort your DMV. All state laws are different. For example in my state (MA) there is no such thing as "temporary tags". You either have an officially issued metal license plate or you don't have a registered car. I've seen people from out of state driving with temp cardboard tags. Little do they know that if a cop sees it he will stop them and impound the car, its as if they were driving with no plates at all.

Quick Reply: Good deal on 2011 Lexus LS 460 L w/Exec package?