LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone Try This?

Old 03-21-14, 06:48 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Update:

I was able to access a few more options after an update from the developer. Alas, none were the DRL settings. He stated that DRL does not come up on my vehicle for changing. I believe that this is due to my car being a Canadian vehicle and all Canadian vehicles must be equipped with DRL's by law.

Regardless, I was able to play with about 60 other settings and access all the OBD settings.
Old 03-21-14, 08:34 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm sorry. I'm from a prior generation where I used words.
What's "DRL" ?
Old 03-21-14, 08:50 AM
RodT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ jlawr DRL= Daytime Running Lamps
Old 03-21-14, 08:51 AM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Daytime running lights!!
Old 03-21-14, 09:45 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Update:

I was able to access a few more options after an update from the developer. Alas, none were the DRL settings. He stated that DRL does not come up on my vehicle for changing. I believe that this is due to my car being a Canadian vehicle and all Canadian vehicles must be equipped with DRL's by law.

Regardless, I was able to play with about 60 other settings and access all the OBD settings.
Oh wow, yeah that makes perfect sense. Canada was all over that DRL mandate from way back when. well, you can always upgrade the bulb to LED with the harness that will allow them to come on with DRL power. Get some 5K ones..looks great!
Old 03-23-14, 01:30 PM
LexiJeff
Driver School Candidate

I did the in-app purchase for Carista Pro today. So the good news (I guess?) is that the app was $9.99, not $11.95, so maybe the price dropped, not sure. Still, IMO ten bucks for an Android app is pretty expensive. Which leads me to what I'd consider the "bad news", in that pretty much everything available in terms of settings can be done within the system's settings screen (2013 LS460 F-sport), so, I don't really feel like for me it was worth ten bucks. If the developer keeps updating the app and adds features, that could change my opinion (especially if he adds the ability to change more settings you can't otherwise get to).

Last edited by LexiJeff; 03-23-14 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-23-14, 02:56 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by LexiJeff
I did the in-app purchase for Carista Pro today. So the good news (I guess?) is that the app was $9.99, not $11.95, so maybe the price dropped, not sure. Still, IMO ten bucks for an Android app is pretty expensive. Which leads me to what I'd consider the "bad news", in that pretty much everything available in terms of settings can be done within the system's settings screen (2013 LS460 F-sport), so, I don't really feel like for me it was worth ten bucks. If the developer keeps updating the app and adds features, that could change my opinion (especially if he adds the ability to change more settings you can't otherwise get to).
Techstream software is less than $30 shipped via ebay and does all you need it to do..comes with OBD to USB cable too...works perfectly
Old 03-23-14, 04:17 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I guess 10 dollars is expensive for an app when compared to other apps. But the bigger picture is that it's still far cheaper than any scanner out there. Where can you get a code scanner for 11 dollars, let alone the ability to program functions within the car's modules? I have an 08, so obviously it's a better value for me.
Old 03-23-14, 04:26 PM
LexiJeff
Driver School Candidate

For sure, $10 for any OBD reader is a good deal. I have a nice reader, but that's one more thing to carry in the trunk, another thing that requires a 9v battery, etc., the bluetooth dongle to read codes on your phone is definitely awesome, so yea, I have to retract that comment just based on that alone. Good call.

I'd like to be able to make some lower level settings changes... wondering if possible via TS
Old 03-23-14, 06:47 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I just ordered a Techstream unit from China on Ebay, I'm curious to see how it'll compare to this app. I really want to disable my DRL's, so hopefully the Techstream unit will do it.

The developer of Carista has been maintaining contact with me, making me a tester as well, and is working on more options for us. He understands how big an audience there is here at CL.
Old 03-23-14, 06:52 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I just ordered a Techstream unit from China on Ebay, I'm curious to see how it'll compare to this app. I really want to disable my DRL's, so hopefully the Techstream unit will do it.

The developer of Carista has been maintaining contact with me, making me a tester as well, and is working on more options for us. He understands how big an audience there is here at CL.
I think you missed the previous comments but you can do all that with the chinese bootleg techstream...I have that also and works perfectly
Old 03-23-14, 07:51 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I think you missed the previous comments but you can do all that with the chinese bootleg techstream...I have that also and works perfectly
Perfect. Looking forward to trying it....
Old 03-23-14, 08:16 PM
shrikelex
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Roadfrog, keep us updated on this one. I'd like to go non-drl as well-tks
Old 03-23-14, 08:47 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by shrikelex
As I mentioned earlier..I have successfully been able to change settings using the ebay techstream kit..including DRL turn off..it is literally point and click

Last edited by CJITTY; 03-23-14 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-24-14, 06:29 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by shrikelex
Well, you're in Cali, so you may be able to do this with the Android app (Carista). Heck, for the price of a couple of Starbucks Lattes, you can have it and also have a great Code scanner to boot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone Try This?