Anyone Try This? - Page 3 - Club Lexus Forums

Log In 

Anyone Try This?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-21-14, 06:48 AM   #31
roadfrog
Lexus Champion
 
roadfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 3,159
Default

Update:

I was able to access a few more options after an update from the developer. Alas, none were the DRL settings. He stated that DRL does not come up on my vehicle for changing. I believe that this is due to my car being a Canadian vehicle and all Canadian vehicles must be equipped with DRL's by law.

Regardless, I was able to play with about 60 other settings and access all the OBD settings.
roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 08:34 AM   #32
jlawr
Lead Lap
 
jlawr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 619
Default

I'm sorry. I'm from a prior generation where I used words.
What's "DRL" ?
jlawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 08:50 AM   #33
RodT
Pole Position
 
RodT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: MS
Posts: 285
Default

@ jlawr DRL= Daytime Running Lamps
RodT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 08:51 AM   #34
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wa
Posts: 1,352
Default

Daytime running lights!!
Lextrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 09:45 AM   #35
CJITTY
Moderator
 
CJITTY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The South
Posts: 4,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfrog View Post
Update:

I was able to access a few more options after an update from the developer. Alas, none were the DRL settings. He stated that DRL does not come up on my vehicle for changing. I believe that this is due to my car being a Canadian vehicle and all Canadian vehicles must be equipped with DRL's by law.

Regardless, I was able to play with about 60 other settings and access all the OBD settings.
Oh wow, yeah that makes perfect sense. Canada was all over that DRL mandate from way back when. well, you can always upgrade the bulb to LED with the harness that will allow them to come on with DRL power. Get some 5K ones..looks great!
CJITTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-14, 01:30 PM   #36
LexiJeff
Driver School Candidate
 
LexiJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: MD
Posts: 15
Default

I did the in-app purchase for Carista Pro today. So the good news (I guess?) is that the app was $9.99, not $11.95, so maybe the price dropped, not sure. Still, IMO ten bucks for an Android app is pretty expensive. Which leads me to what I'd consider the "bad news", in that pretty much everything available in terms of settings can be done within the system's settings screen (2013 LS460 F-sport), so, I don't really feel like for me it was worth ten bucks. If the developer keeps updating the app and adds features, that could change my opinion (especially if he adds the ability to change more settings you can't otherwise get to).

Last edited by LexiJeff; 03-23-14 at 01:36 PM.
LexiJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-14, 02:56 PM   #37
CJITTY
Moderator
 
CJITTY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The South
Posts: 4,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiJeff View Post
I did the in-app purchase for Carista Pro today. So the good news (I guess?) is that the app was $9.99, not $11.95, so maybe the price dropped, not sure. Still, IMO ten bucks for an Android app is pretty expensive. Which leads me to what I'd consider the "bad news", in that pretty much everything available in terms of settings can be done within the system's settings screen (2013 LS460 F-sport), so, I don't really feel like for me it was worth ten bucks. If the developer keeps updating the app and adds features, that could change my opinion (especially if he adds the ability to change more settings you can't otherwise get to).
Techstream software is less than $30 shipped via ebay and does all you need it to do..comes with OBD to USB cable too...works perfectly
CJITTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-14, 04:17 PM   #38
roadfrog
Lexus Champion
 
roadfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 3,159
Default

I guess 10 dollars is expensive for an app when compared to other apps. But the bigger picture is that it's still far cheaper than any scanner out there. Where can you get a code scanner for 11 dollars, let alone the ability to program functions within the car's modules? I have an 08, so obviously it's a better value for me.
roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-14, 04:26 PM   #39
LexiJeff
Driver School Candidate
 
LexiJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: MD
Posts: 15
Default

For sure, $10 for any OBD reader is a good deal. I have a nice reader, but that's one more thing to carry in the trunk, another thing that requires a 9v battery, etc., the bluetooth dongle to read codes on your phone is definitely awesome, so yea, I have to retract that comment just based on that alone. Good call.

I'd like to be able to make some lower level settings changes... wondering if possible via TS
LexiJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-14, 06:47 PM   #40
roadfrog
Lexus Champion
 
roadfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 3,159
Default

I just ordered a Techstream unit from China on Ebay, I'm curious to see how it'll compare to this app. I really want to disable my DRL's, so hopefully the Techstream unit will do it.

The developer of Carista has been maintaining contact with me, making me a tester as well, and is working on more options for us. He understands how big an audience there is here at CL.
roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-14, 06:52 PM   #41
CJITTY
Moderator
 
CJITTY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The South
Posts: 4,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfrog View Post
I just ordered a Techstream unit from China on Ebay, I'm curious to see how it'll compare to this app. I really want to disable my DRL's, so hopefully the Techstream unit will do it.

The developer of Carista has been maintaining contact with me, making me a tester as well, and is working on more options for us. He understands how big an audience there is here at CL.
I think you missed the previous comments but you can do all that with the chinese bootleg techstream...I have that also and works perfectly
CJITTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-14, 07:51 PM   #42
roadfrog
Lexus Champion
 
roadfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 3,159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJITTY View Post
I think you missed the previous comments but you can do all that with the chinese bootleg techstream...I have that also and works perfectly
Perfect. Looking forward to trying it....
roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-14, 08:16 PM   #43
shrikelex
Driver
 
shrikelex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 175
Default

Roadfrog, keep us updated on this one. I'd like to go non-drl as well-tks
shrikelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-14, 08:47 PM   #44
CJITTY
Moderator
 
CJITTY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The South
Posts: 4,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrikelex View Post
Roadfrog, keep us updated on this one. I'd like to go non-drl as well-tks
As I mentioned earlier..I have successfully been able to change settings using the ebay techstream kit..including DRL turn off..it is literally point and click

Last edited by CJITTY; 03-23-14 at 08:53 PM.
CJITTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 06:29 AM   #45
roadfrog
Lexus Champion
 
roadfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 3,159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrikelex View Post
Roadfrog, keep us updated on this one. I'd like to go non-drl as well-tks
Well, you're in Cali, so you may be able to do this with the Android app (Carista). Heck, for the price of a couple of Starbucks Lattes, you can have it and also have a great Code scanner to boot.
roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Factory door speaker size? D.Jobin IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) 3 12-17-07 04:23 PM
Anyone ordered the EFI Supercharger yet? Vegassc400 Performance & Maintenance 4 11-17-03 02:58 PM
Anyone bought one yet? bitkahuna GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) 1 11-29-02 12:09 AM
Does Anyone Know Who Makes These Eyelids? ONYXIS300 IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) 15 03-14-02 05:02 PM
who's in houston? relapse SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000) 3 04-11-01 04:14 PM


Tags
2007, 2008, 2011, 460, change, custom, lexus, lps, ls, ls460, personalize, personalized, preferences, setting, settings, user

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:16 AM.


Copyright © 2000-2016 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved